Author Topic: g'day to everybody and Q's about new diabolo  (Read 4953 times)

dog footrot

g'day to everybody and Q's about new diabolo
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »
well hello tot every body on d.ca!
began diaboloing a couple of months ago (i turned my own out of a peice of black wattle i had left over)
and was wondering about buying a new professional diabolo
from the research i've done i'm guessing either a henry's circus or a fly's bolo
if you could give any of your expertise or opinion i'd be grateful
i've also been doing staff, double, poi, and rope dart for the past 6 years so....
any way and help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sean

• Administrator
Re: g'day to everybody and Q's about new diabolo
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »
Welcome to the world of the diabolo, and specifically to Diabolo.ca!

Not sure what you've read so far, but let me first throw out some links:
The Equipment Sticky
Equipment Guide by Leo
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2009
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2008
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2005-2007

The intro to the equipment sticky is a good summary. If you want to know the specific differences between any 2 diabolos you can probably find a thread on that in the gear section.

What it comes down to is that all the major brand 5 inch diabolos are great. They will all be pretty much the same price [nb]Except buying the Circus and almost obligatory plastic hubs, which combined may cost you more.[/nb]. Within those it's mostly personal preference. Someday I should put together a flow chart to help people learn. It goes something like this:

1. Do you really want bearings [nb]As your first diabolo you probably don't unless you specifically want to do certain styles of tricks that require them.[/nb]? If you do, then you should probably go with a Fly (edit August 2011: or a Shining or a Finesse or Henrys with the conversion kits) but also get a non-bearing axle to learn with [nb]Or possibly the new Duncan Phoenix once they sort out their axle issues.[/nb].

2. Is it important to you to be able to use your diabolo over pavement without it getting all scratched up? A Circus (with plastic hubs of some kind) or a Finesse would be your best choice. A Sun and Taibolo can take some abuse without showing too much wear. The Fly is not for you.

3. Do you want a heavy diabolo or a light one? There's no right answer. A heavy one tends to be slightly more stable and can make learning some tricks easier since they have some momentum. A light one can be easier on your wrists. In rough order of lightness to heaviness off the top of my head: Taibolos or the lighter translucent Suns (especially with plastic washers) or the soon to be released Henrys Vision diabolo < Circuses with plastic hubs and washers or Finesses < Circuses with plastic hubs but standard metal washers or Finesses with weight kits or standard Suns with plastic washers or Flys < standard Suns with metal washers or Yohos.

4. Do you want a soft or hard cupped diabolo? Hard cups are often slicker and easier to correct with 2 or 3 diabolos. If 2 collide you can often recover. Soft cups can usually take more abuse and don't hurt so much when they hit you. In terms of hardness (i.e. soft to hard): Circuses < Finesses < Suns or Yohos < Taibolos < Flys

Recently, I've had a number of people try out all of my diabolos [nb]And yes I have all of these![/nb] and everyone seems to come out with a different opinion. There is no right answer. If at all possible, see if you can try out some first at a shop, juggling club, or convention.

Hope that helps!

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
whats a rope dart?

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:55:32 PM »
usually done with a monkey fist/some other firey thing in the circus world. It's pretty underground.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal