Author Topic: Vertax with a Chinese Yo-Yo?  (Read 3600 times)

maunch

Vertax with a Chinese Yo-Yo?
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
Is vertax possible with a Chinese Yo-Yo (the barbell one that whistles)?

nev

• Donator
Re: Vertax with a Chinese Yo-Yo?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
Yes, but its a little harder to transition into vertax and they are only really suitable for Asian style vertax (on a reverse catch) - they will loose spin pretty fast during tricks with western style vertax.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

maunch

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »
Could you elaborate on the Asian style vertax a bit more, please?  I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you mean by reverse catch.  Thanks.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
I believe its pretty easy if you just hand start into vertax instead of trying to go from normal into it, which may take a while seeing as how you dont really have cups to rub the string on to change the alignment.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
Could you elaborate on the Asian style vertax a bit more, please?
In the traditional Chinese style of vertax the diabolo spins in the opposite direction to Western style vertax. The diabolo is held on the string in a backside (reverse catch) and then accelerated using vertical between-the-arm suns.

Watch some videos on Konzhu.com to see Chinese style vertax in action.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

nev

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »
Thanks Nick, perfect explanation.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

maunch

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:13:57 AM »
Pardon the noobishness, but when I try the between-the-arms suns in either direction, it doesn't speed up the yo-yo OR get it into vertax.  It just slowly dies out.  :(  Any tips on transitioning into vertax?

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »
I use a right backside and then clockwise between-the-arm suns on the left side of my body (I'm right handed). Start by getting the diabolo spinning normally then turn 180 degrees to your left. This puts you in the right backside position with the diabolo spinning in the opposite direction. Then start driving the clockwise suns. You should feel this speed up the diabolo. Gradually change the angle of the suns, bringing them up in front of you, off-axis. This should start to tilt the diabolo into vertax. As the diabolo starts getting closer to vertical you may need to start turning to your left to keep control of the suns.

As Chris says, with a traditional Chinese yo-yo you might find it easier to do a hand start. Set up the diabolo in a right backside with both sticks in one hand. Put the diabolo in the vertax position and then do a snap/wrist start but the opposite way to normal. Then take back the stick and go straight into the between-the-arm suns. It's probably easier to get into the suns if you do the snap start off to the right-hand side of your body.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

maunch

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:59:57 PM »
 :o I got it!!! Thankyouthankyou!! :-D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal