Author Topic: Inactive (suspected spam) memberships deleted  (Read 3443 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Inactive (suspected spam) memberships deleted
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »
If you registered since January 25th 2010, never posted, hadn't logged in within the last 30 days, and didn't have obvious words like "juggle" or "diabolo" in your username/email, I have deleted your account. If, on the off chance you happened to be a real person, please do re-register. Unbeknownst to me, spam memberships had gotten badly out of control. I have tightened the anti-spam measures on registration and will manually approve new members until I'm sure it's under control.

Might be a good time to remind new members that everybody (and I mean everybody) needs to have their initial posts approved by a moderator. This serves two purposes:
1. It keeps the general audience from reading as much about male enhancement pills and cheap chiropractic services.
2. It lets the moderators intercept new threads that often duplicate existing content. We can then direct the user to an appropriate thread via personal message or merge the threads. This seems to keep the place running smoother and generates a higher signal to noise ratio for those people who have been around for a while.

Once I've seen that you aren't a spam-bot and have an idea of how things run around here then I assign your membership "approved poster" status. Sometimes it takes me a while to get around to it, so don't be discouraged if your first few posts need to be approved.

aaro

• VotW Contributor
Re: Inactive (suspected spam) memberships deleted
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:42 AM »
word up!

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »
Good call. Juggleworks (swe-forum) was completely destroyed by spam. Newbs who like diabolo enough surely wont be discouraged by a little postdelay.

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
Fear the banhammer! 8)
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal