Author Topic: Beginner Advice - Henry's, Babache or other?!  (Read 3320 times)

oldskooladdict

Beginner Advice - Henry's, Babache or other?!
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »
Hi everyone, total newbie here...

I can juggle pretty well and for ages, my diabolo experience is limited to a budget thing my brother had from Argos which I played with when I was about 8, so aside from knowing what one looks like essentially no experience! My interest today was all kicked off because eBay sent me a voucher for 4 quid of 'outdoor toys' which has a juggling section, I was originally looking for more thuds but decided I have several sets so should set myself a new challenge - the diabolo.

Coming from a juggling background I was drawn to Babache and Henry's - I have balls from both and there's a clear difference between these and your average ball. So, on eBay I was looking at those...

Arlekino - V Cheap, however, it seems because it's tiny it would be a very bad choice to start with.  Pinocchio - Bit bigger, but I couldn't find much info about it.
Birdie - This looks well cool! - However, the page I looked at said it was not beginner suitable as it span fast so made tricks harder.
Millennium - This looked possibly beginner suitable...

Then I found this place :D

So, after reading some stuff I've found these ones I'm considering:

Henry's Beach Diabolo - £14
Babache Finesse - £23
Babache Millennium - £11
Yoho 'gift set' - £13

Now, firstly I know nothing about YoHo, and it looks a bit dodgy/not as decent as Babache/Henry's (but I am biased)...

That narrows it down to three, the auction page for the Finesse said it was intermediate/advanced where as the other two said beginner/intermediate.

Based on that I was gonna go for the Henry's Beach.....

So, is the Henry's Beach the best starter from those four? - (All prices include sticks and delivery etc)

Apologies if this is seen as a bit too much of a 'newbie' question - but I've read conflicting advice from shop / eBay pages so I wanted replies from actual users!

Cheers!

Funty

• Donator
Re: Beginner Advice - Henry's, Babache or other?!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25:48 PM »
Don't get a little one as they're useless. It seems the pro choices are Mr B Finesse, Henrys Circus, Sundia sun, Sundia Fly or Tiabolo

check these out

http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3166.0
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Mr.D

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
Hi and welcome :)

First of all: don't go for a 4 inch diabolo, like Millennium and Birdie, get a 5 inch. If you continue with diabolo you will end up with a 5 inch, so you might as well start with one. They are more stable too, so it's better in every way.

The Beach diabolo it very rigid, its made of hard plastic and thus break easily if you drop it (you will) on hard surfaces. Other than knowing that, I have no experience with it.

The Finesse is a great diabolo and a lot of diboloist love it above all. It is stable, durable, customizeable (is that a word?) and nicely shaped. Even though it costs the most, it is, in my opinion, the best of the 4 you mentioned :)

As Funty said, the Circus, Sun and Taibolo are also great diabolos. Me, I love the Taibolos :)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

oldskooladdict

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided 5" is defo the way to go, also, based on small people and animals who are often wandering around my garden (and the fact that I am a beginner) the Beach just sounds too dangerous.

That essentially means it's down to the Finesse by the looks of things - as I expected  ::)

There's a coloured Finesse (can choose colour, I reckon green lol) which would work out to be 18.50 or a glow in the dark one which would be 21. I'm quite a sucker for glow in the dark so I'm tempted to go for this one :p

what about what the auction said about Finesse being for intermediate/advanced users rather than beginners? - Or is that just nonsense?

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »
what about what the auction said about Finesse being for intermediate/advanced users rather than beginners? - Or is that just nonsense?

That is nonsense.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:20:49 AM »
It just means an "advanced" diaboloist could use it happily. The irony is that a diabolo that's best for an "advanced" diaboloist is also best for a "beginner" diaboloist, providing that "beginner" diaboloist is willing to pay the slightly higher price.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
Yea, Like Aaro and Sean said. The Finesse not fitting to beginners is just bull****. It's the opposite. It will be your best choice and you'll stick with it for long. And if you decide something fits better for you later it's easier to sell finesse than any other diabolo of your current options.

You're in the right track now.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

oldskooladdict

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Orange Finesse G3 ordered :D - £18.49 delivered with sticks and a book :D

Time for a new challenge me thinks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal