Author Topic: 2D Chinese Whips and White Boy Twist  (Read 3382 times)

bourgeois.jason

2D Chinese Whips and White Boy Twist
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:55:15 PM »
Guys,

I've been doing 2D for many years (I actually learned in the first couple of months by getting my dad to throw in the second one by hand.)  Since I've been 99% self taught and I put the diabolos down for several years during and after college, I'm sure I'm making some mistakes that shouldn't be giving me so much trouble. 

Anyway, every time I do chinese whips to speed up my diabolos, the one I'm speeding up twists clockwise, if you're looking down at it from the ceiling.  I don't have a problem putting it back into the shuffle and correcting it or even correcting it while it's still wrapped, but I don't want to have to do that.  Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm right handed and playing with Finesse G3's without mods, Henry's aluminum handsticks, and Henry's neon yellow string.

Thanks,

Jason

Hack

Re: 2D Chinese Whips and White Boy Twist
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:16:43 PM »
This same thing happened to me. I stopped doing them for a while, but then I tried them and the problem was gone. I think what you need to do is kind of point the tip of your right stick to the left. Not a whole lot, just a little bit. I think that's what I changed, and maybe if you try whipping it more straight up and down. I noticed that too. I hope this helps. :-D

wgm

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:52:51 AM »
I tap the edge closer to me which moves it back in line

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »
It's inevitable given the wrap on the axle and the fact that you have to pull the string slightly out of line to keep it from catching and wrapping up. It happens with Chinese whips or with the hover. If you're starting in a hover you can start with the diabolo facing a bit to your left.

Basically you learn to deal with it. You can switch which diabolo you're accelerating frequently, then it won't be an issue. You can tap the inside of the cup frequently (in a hover) to realign it. It won't be as much of an issue as the diabolo gets going fast. You'll frequently see people switch back and forth between the 2d Chinese whip and hover just for the purposes of correcting alignment.

In short, it's natural, there are lots of ways of dealing with it, once you get used to them it becomes subconscious and not an issue.

This is all assuming your aren't doing the obvious and pulling the string around drastically out of alignment with the diabolo. That could make it much worse.

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys.  It is helpful.

I have another issue with 2D Chinese whips.  I don't know why, but when I do them, it hurts my back.  I first thought that I was arching my back while doing them.  After giving it some thought, I realized that I wasn't flexing my back at all.  It's weird because the pain is just at one joint about halfway up my spine.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Jason

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 04:11:36 PM »
Not the back, but I know lots of people who have had wrist or elbow pain while learning (actually I'm talking about the 1D version, but same thing). It's one of the more aggressive diabolo acceleration techniques. It takes a while before you can do it smoothly. Think of really relaxing your left hand. Let your left wrist and arm flop around as needed. Concentrate on the diabolo sitting on the string. Try and keep it motionless. Take a break and don't practice it too much at first. You'll be able to do it as softly as you want after a while.

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »
I first thought that I was arching my back while doing them.  After giving it some thought, I realized that I wasn't flexing my back at all.  It's weird because the pain is just at one joint about halfway up my spine.

Why would you want to arch your back when you are doing chinese whips? I don't get what you are saying with it. You have pain in one joint halfway up your spine when you do it? You haven't had any pain doing anything else? Then I would see a docter.

If not, just practice, like Sean suggested.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal