Author Topic: Diabolo + Ring?  (Read 15426 times)

TimEllis

Diabolo + Ring?
« on: June 01, 2005, 07:47:07 PM »
I was poking around the internet, and found a small trick archive.  One of the tricks this guy did was catch the diabolo inside a juggling ring.  I was just wondering what could be done with this combination?  All I can seem to do is throw it up, and get the diabolo out of the ring.  Thanks!
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

Ifrit

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 08:14:57 PM »
I was playing about with that last friday and worked out a few thing including simple throws using the ring to hold the diabolo.

Got a few under leg throws and a  figure of eight kinda thing also swaping rings (1 in each hand) aswell as getting more than 1 ring on the diabolo.

I could get ring juggling with a diabolo in on of the rings tho but thats more because i rather poor at juggling.

barnesy

• Administrator
Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:35:44 PM »
I've played with ring and diabolo stuff a little, but have never really found anything new with it.

I do remember that the diabolo act in the Edinburgh BJC show (in 1996) had some ring and diabolo stuff in it.  I seem to remember he* kept one diabolo going inside a ring by holding the ring on both sides and moving it side to side so the diabolo span, a little like how loop diabolo works.  I've not seen it since though, and I'm not totally sure how much my memory is adding to it...

Dave

* I don't know his name, he was young and french - a quick rec.juggling search didn't throw up anything useful namewise

edit - A further search tells me it was Laurent Perrelet (and that he's swiss, not french).  I found that and a few other entertaining old memories in this post: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.juggling/msg/b5a4d2fd04aa7a9c

juggleBG

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:53:05 PM »
Toss juggling with the ringed diabolo is fun.  I've never gotten much farther than a qualify of three (only one ring having a diabolo), but I really haven't tried it since I was first juggling.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:45:59 PM »
I have a vague memory of seein someone do this...only trick i really remember was switchin between a grind inside the ring and on top of it.

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 11:58:04 PM »
I use a thin metalring (3mm steel ring 35 cm across)  when I do this.
I can get pretty long grinds in this ring (30-40 seconds at least). and long grinds is nessecary for  this trick that  thougth up on my own some years ago and now do it in my show every day... Since this is kind of how I make a living I do hope you guys appreshiate that Im sharing it with you.

At the start I have the ring around the neck and the diabolo spinning fast on the string.
I grab both sticks in LH and the ring in RH and then lift the diabolo of the string with the ring.
I do some swinging moves with the  diabolo and ring since it looks nice :-).
Then I pop the diabolo up into the air and move one of the sticks to my RH so that the stick goes through the ring and catch the diabolo on the string and sped it up some.
(actually everything so far is done just to get the ring around the stick in a flasshy way:-)) here comes the cool part:
Then I pop the diabolo up and catch it in the ring and release the ring.
The ring will now hang on the string with the diabolo spinning inside.
Then I swing everyting around and do 2 or 3 skipping rope jumps over ring and diabolo.
To get the diabolo back on the string and get rid of the ring you have to put the stick through the ring catch it in your hand and then toss the diabolo from the ring to the string.

I also made a dent in one of my metalrings so I culd balance the diabolo on top of it. (Its easy to hide the dent pretty well if you know annything about magic...). I recall that I culd balance the ring with the diabolo spinning on top on/in my teeth and then let it drop forwards so that the diabolo was spinning inside the ring that was held in place by my teeth.

I also had some idea of tying a ring to a fishing rod with a long string. I never made annyting out of it though.

Another similar idea to explore is to take one of those things that you catch butterflies with (dont know the englis word :oops:) and remove the net. You can then spin the diabolo in "the thing that you catch butterflies with" and do some swinging with it.

ps I culd do three diabolos years ago, two in the shuffle and one spinning in a metal ring held in my mouth... maybe its possible to spit the ring out and start a 3d shuffle from this possition  8)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 12:00:11 AM »
Jamie Walker does a bit of diabolo in/on ring in his routine. Basics really: inside, outside, throw and catch. The best bit is the exit, he pancakes the ring so that it lands on his head and during the pancake the diabolo falls out and lands on the string. That the best thing i've seen. I dont think there is much to be explored. But please, prove me wrong.

Chiok

• Donator
Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 01:50:59 AM »
I imagine you could have some nice transfers of the diabolo between two or three rings like you (norbi) do with the ring manipulation by sliding rings over one another and picking the diabolo up along the way.  Definately something better explored by a Finesse with weight and wide axle kits attached.
Mr Pink's ideas sound pretty cool too.  A doable grind is with two rings in the figure 8 fashion and grinding inbetween the valley on top.  Alot of flair-like moves can be done with a diabolo in a ring too.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 03:05:39 AM »
Quote from: mrpink
... Since this is kind of how I make a living I do hope you guys appreshiate that Im sharing it with you.

I apreciate it Mr Pink, and I'm allways interested in insights from different aspects of diabolo and performing  than the ones I am used to.

Now back to rings

Somebody was doing some ring diabolo stuff at last years Bristol. Things I can remember, grinds in and on the ring, various throws of the diabolo from the hand and the string. He also had a half ring with both ends of the half ring cut as a 'V', he popped the diab onto the half ring then slid the diabolo up so that it rested in the 'V' (like a skateboard half pipe doing lip tricks)

He also managed to drop a diabolo in a ring from a fair height onto my shin, luckily it hit something else that took most of the shock away.

Quote from: mrpink

Another similar idea to explore is to take one of those things that you catch butterflies with (dont know the englis word :oops:) and remove the net. You can then spin the diabolo in "the thing that you catch butterflies with" and do some swinging with it.

Butterfly net, thats quite a cool image,

I had a few plays with rings myself. One thing I tried was tying a ring to the diabolo string to replace a handstick. You can do all the grind type things with it, you can do big swinging sun/suicide things, interesting captive stopovers using your hand, probably a few more things in there (trying to jump the diabolo through the hoop during orbits rings a bell). I also tried using two rings instead of handsticks but gave it up as a bad idea since I found gaining speed frustrating without at least one handstick.

Ed

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »
Theres not much more to say but i have been doing Ring Diabolo for a bit and i like doing 2 ring tricks involving stuff like hopping the Diabolo off the side of 1 ring then a quick downward sweep with the other to catch it again then throwing in between the legs and catching it behind the back then bringing it back threw you legs  to catching it at the front then just messing around and doing a Duicide style tricks and stuff like that.

I also like passing it between body parts e.g legs, arms, back...
I use my Finesses with finger grind axles to do Ring Diabolo.

donald grant

• Donator
Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »
As Barnsey says, Laurent used to do a little bit of ring in his number.  He also had lots of other stuff which he used to mess around with in practice, but I can't quite remember it all (hey, it is 10 years since I was teaching in Switzerland). :)
Using loop style acceleration, he could really get the thing going, and I recall us trying to throw the diabolo out of the ring and pancake throw the ring onto the diabolo in mid air.

For more ring-related nonsense, try tying a length of string between 2 rings and using them as handsticks.  Much swinging/ grinding fun to be had but it is rather hard on the old wrists.

Donald

TimEllis

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 03:41:15 PM »
Quote from: donald grant

For more ring-related nonsense, try tying a length of string between 2 rings and using them as handsticks.  Much swinging/ grinding fun to be had but it is rather hard on the old wrists.

Donald

Wow!  That sound's fun!  I may have to try that.
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

klima

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 06:30:56 PM »
http://diabolo.er.cz my czech website!

eggy900

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 08:42:08 AM »
has anyone ever tried juggling three rings with diabolos in, or just the one diabolo with three rings?

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 01:11:44 PM »
a little vido of diabolo and coat hanger (i dont know the words in english for the thing where you put your topcoat)   by eltharion

http://jojoratonlaveur.free.fr/videos/filalingdiabolo.wmv
to be or not to be that is or that is Not the question...

seán_

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 02:38:52 PM »
Quote from: Capitaine buisson
a little vido of diabolo and coat hanger (i dont know the words in english for the thing where you put your topcoat)

Guy Heathcote will be pleased :)
Coat Hanger is the right name, Lots of fun making that video by he looks of it some great ideas in it.

mango

Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 01:10:42 AM »
it's in diabolo a to z from mb

genesis

Re: Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
where is a good place to find either a large plastic ring or a large metal hoop for doing these tricks, i cant seem to find a place that just has a metal loop, its pathetic ><

seán_

Re: Diabolo + Ring?
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Possibly a magic store for metal rings, Any juggling shop for plastic rings.

ra5se

Re: Diabolo + ring
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
You can attach some string to 2 rings and use the rings as sticks for the diabolo, bit tricky to get used to, and kind of hard putting the knot, but it's okay, I guess...
Proud owner of yohos

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal