Author Topic: String slipping off stick  (Read 3855 times)

DrRobotnik

String slipping off stick
« on: June 02, 2005, 02:50:27 AM »
I'm having a right problem with simple things like inverse trapeses and other  moves on glassfiber sticks. The string has very little grip and i've tried all sorts on the stick ends (sticky tape, masking tape, electrical tape, paint etc...) I cant seem to keep the string wraped in one place either it slips off or touches my hand at the other end. The worst case is when it slips mid move.

Any tips or is it just technique? :S

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:52:02 AM »
I adjusted your subject title slightly to hopefully make the topic more obvious and general (assuming I understand what you mean).

Double sided tape, which is often used for installing carpets has been mentioned before as a solution. I've also heard of people carving grooves into their sticks... but that's probably more of a solution for aluminum sticks.

This post on aluminum stick modifications might be of use... perhaps we will merge the two threads in a bit.

ming

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:33:58 AM »
I had this problem hen i swap from wood to alu sticks and what i found is if you keep your stick pointing slightly upwards this makes the string slide don the stick as opposed to off it
Emmet

Spink

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:12:04 PM »
I'm with ming on this one.

when i moved to ali i had to adjust the way i pointed my sticks it helps for learning behind the back stuff aswell.
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »
just keep the sticks flat or tilted upward (like ming said), at first when i got alum sticks i thought they were super slippery beyond all belief but once you get used to it, it's normal

diabololi

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 03:54:32 PM »
I haven't had any problems because I use carbon fibre sticks which have a special knobbly bit on the end.
Oli

DrRobotnik

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:14:22 AM »
I've solved the problem by taking a grater to one of my glassfibre sets. The fine grater has scored the surface just enough to hold the string.

Thanks for the help :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal