Author Topic: Coloured flames  (Read 4221 times)

eggy900

Coloured flames
« on: June 07, 2005, 10:39:21 AM »
Has anyone ever used coloured flames with their fire diabolos?

There's some info here and there used to be some on the http://firetoys.co.uk forum but i can't find it anymore

ming

Coloured flames
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:45:02 PM »
Burns out very fast but looks good. i find green is the easiest to do methenol and boric acid.

Punkerpanda

Coloured flames
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 05:11:00 AM »
how much does it damage your diabolo? I just got my new nesbitt fire diabolo and I was thinking about doing some colored flames, but i dont want to kill my diabolo

ming

Coloured flames
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:32:09 AM »
Doesn't damage it at all, meths burns at a lower temperature then parafin or whits spirits. on a side note the nesbitt is surprising ly good for excalibur

Chiok

• Donator
Coloured flames
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 12:47:31 PM »
Quote from: ming
Doesn't damage it at all, meths burns at a lower temperature then parafin or whits spirits.
Umm, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with that.  Meths burns hotter than parafin (kerosene US) and can deteriorate you wicks at a higher rate if you don't take full and proper care.

Unfortunately all coloured flames work best when mixed with methelayted spirits.  You're supposed to burn a couple of times with meths to clean the wicks and then add the colour.  And then burn again to clean and then in parafin to cool.  It's a long winded process but it's something to take note of especially with diabolos where changing the wick isn't that easy.  Remember to extinguish as soon as the flames start to die down so your wicks don't burn instead of the fuel.

Cream of tartar makes a purple flame I believe, but a tad wussy.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Punkerpanda

Coloured flames
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 03:29:22 PM »
But i dont have to worry about damaging the actual diabolo? cause i dont have the money to buy another nesbitt, cost me about 170 dollars to get from the UK.

THanks for the replies

KaTurN

Coloured flames
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 05:06:26 PM »
ohh no thats metal take a quite hot flame to warp metal just worry about dropping it on concrete

also excalibur with a fire diabolo? thats just asking for a trip to the hospital lol

Punkerpanda

Coloured flames
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 05:24:06 PM »
hmm, actually yesterday i was practicing it with a non-lit diabolo and it seems possible, and i dont think you would burn your arm since the flame is not in contact with your arm long enough, the only problem i could think of is that the flame of the lower half the diaboloburns the string, but that's something i will have to try out sometime. since my excalibur skills are lacking though i can only do like suns or so.

Now i just have to figure out what kind of wick to get for my nesbitt diabolo, i measured it and the it's about 4.5 cm x 4.5 cm not sure how thick though, i think about 1 mm, maybe 1.5 per layer.  Now i just to figure out what that is in inches and stuff like that since i live in the US.

btw, i'm german, that's why i measure in the metric system.

Chiok

• Donator
Coloured flames
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 06:04:55 PM »
Well, I think the reason that vertax with fire might be a tad iffy is that since you're whipping essentially towards your face, it could get very nasty.  Especially since fire diabolos aren't capable of the same corrections as normal diabolos.  As for the string burning, make sure you have Kevlar string (or whatever the equivalent is).  This is pretty crucial to keep your diabolo off the ground.  It can catch light if a flame is held there for too long, but it's very resiliant stuff.  Just make sure to change it if it gets frayed or a bit too worn.

As for Kevlar, most is about 1/8in thick standard (about 3mm) or about the thickness of an army belt/strap.  Sizes are varying from 20mm to 115mm, I'd say 45mm (just over 1 3/4in) is your best call folded back and forth (like a zig zag).

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

ming

Coloured flames
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 06:33:14 PM »
I found with the nesbitt that excalibur is easy it goes to postion quick and is quite stable there. I tried suns, stopovers and sucide and got all the tricks no prob. I'm not sure what it would be like with other fire diabs. If i can get someone to film me doing some i'll post it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal