Author Topic: My Performence: Need some tips  (Read 8852 times)

Toddyupa

My Performence: Need some tips
« on: August 06, 2009, 07:56:28 AM »
I'm performing at my school concert in a couple of days. Got my routine, but wondering: What are the top tips you can give me?
pretentious 12 year old

Duncan

• Administrator
Re: My Performence: Need some tips
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »
There are a few bits around the site that have a few tips you can take a look at:

Tijn's blog post

Some discussion on performing on stage

A few wise words

Enjoy :).

Richard

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
The main 3 I'd recommend are:

Stick to the tricks you know REALLY well - don't try stuff you think is outta your reach.  Most people love to watch smooth basic stuff more than scratchy harder tricks.

Don't rush any of the performance - most performers always feel they need to rush through the performance when they start out.

Look at your audience and smile/enjoy yourself!

Toddyupa

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00:59 AM »
Breaking the rules of Tijn'sost a bit. Start with a small audience? Well, I did perform at the Art Show to about3o to 40, which isn't too much, but at the scool concert, there's gonna be about 400. ::) BTW, as there is only 1 person near me that can do 2, The audienced will be amazed when I pick the 2nd one up. Any tips on how to start the clappy thing?
pretentious 12 year old

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
The audienced will be amazed when I pick the 2nd one up. Any tips on how to start the clappy thing?

Why would the audience be amazed if you pick up the same object which you just used before, then puts or throws it in your string, starting to shuffle 2. Okay, now he's doing 2 would be most earthling's thought.

O, and about the clappy thing; just start clappy yourself! Feel free.

Toddyupa

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »
Why would the audience be amazed if you pick up the same object which you just used before, then puts or throws it in your string, starting to shuffle 2. Okay, now he's doing 2 would be most earthling's thought.

You have to remember, where i am Barely anyone can throw and catch with 1, 1 meter, 3 times in a row if they tried it for a month. Only half of them saw William C on AGT, and they think he can do three because he has been learning for 5 years or something. Point taken? :|
pretentious 12 year old

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 11:04:04 PM »
I get your point, but does it matter? For all they know they are sitting together with 399 other people watching you rock out a diabolo routine. They probably won't be thinking to much about AGT or whatsoever. They are watching you, and you have to make them feel comfortable.

Do not ever break Martijn's rules!

You still want advise? And "Top tips"?

p.s. How do you know so well exactly half of those 400 people and not say 199 saw it, and 201 did not, did you ask them?

martijn

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »
Arjan, stop messing about. However;

this.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 12:07:20 AM »
p.s. How do you know so well exactly half of those 400 people and not say 199 saw it, and 201 did not, did you ask them?
What a stupid question to ask. I for one always survey an audiance before I perform. What do they teach you at circus school?

Toddyupa

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »
I get your point, but does it matter? For all they know they are sitting together with 399 other people watching you rock out a diabolo routine. They probably won't be thinking to much about AGT or whatsoever. They are watching you, and you have to make them feel comfortable.

You still want advise? And "Top tips"?

I'm beginning to hate you Arjan ;)

And sorry for breaking your rules Tijn, too late now. :embarassed:
pretentious 12 year old

seán_

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:27:03 AM »
What a stupid question to ask. I for one always survey an audiance before I perform. What do they teach you at circus school?

They teach you to 'know your audience' and as you pointed out Hath' a survey is the way to go.

@Toddyupa read those links
-Engage with your audience.
-Take your time.
-Choose music that suits you and doesn't alienate big parts of your fickle audience.
-Don't sweat AGT, william didn't make the most of high throws and string climbs anyway.
-Be aware that for school shows it's just like the playground, if they hate you there then you'll Have to do a lot to win them around.
-your audience - kids and teachers alike will be wondering about just 2 things

1. When is that fit girl from year 12 coming on to do her much talked about Divynls 'I Touch myself' karaoke number

2. Sure he's got the moves, but has Toddyupa fully utilized the full breadth of knowledge available on diabolo.ca and mastered it's search function!

Toddyupa

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »
They teach you to 'know your audience' and as you pointed out Hath' a survey is the way to go.

@Toddyupa read those links
-Engage with your audience.
-Take your time.
-Choose music that suits you and doesn't alienate big parts of your fickle audience.
-Don't sweat AGT, william didn't make the most of high throws and string climbs anyway.
-Be aware that for school shows it's just like the playground, if they hate you there then you'll Have to do a lot to win them around.
-your audience - kids and teachers alike will be wondering about just 2 things

1. When is that fit girl from year 12 coming on to do her much talked about Divynls 'I Touch myself' karaoke number

2. Sure he's got the moves, but has Toddyupa fully utilized the full breadth of knowledge available on diabolo.ca and mastered it's search function!

@Have Done
-Will do
-Will do
-Have Done
-L :-D L
-Have Done and Will do

1. Don't Know, you?

2. Eh, working on it :embarassed: ?

Thanks for all the tips, pretty much need no more!
pretentious 12 year old

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 02:17:57 AM »
1. Don't Know, you?
Never soon enough.

Well said, Seán.

Richard

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:01:03 AM »
Last tip - maybe the most important. Practice the routine OVER and OVER and over..... so you remember it and are comfortable and can relax through it.

Also, practice it in front of your cat, dog, family, friends, strangers in the park, anyone/thing who's willing to watch those spinny moving things.

The more you get in front of audiences, the more you feel comfortable doing it.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
Brilliant. Perfect observation :)

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
When you drop the diabolo, make a silly 'exasperated' face, and start rolling your eyes comically. My favorite drop line is - ''my diabolo ran out of battery'' you get laughs, endearment, and the opportunity to salvage some dignity. If you are performing to teenagers / young adults, shot out LOL and start laughing. Pop culture references are your friend :)
Juggliholics: people who are addicted to jugglihol

Toddyupa

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
When you drop the diabolo, make a silly 'exasperated' face, and start rolling your eyes comically. My favorite drop line is - ''my diabolo ran out of battery'' you get laughs, endearment, and the opportunity to salvage some dignity. If you are performing to teenagers / young adults, shot out LOL and start laughing. Pop culture references are your friend :)

Know what you mean! :) In rehearsal I was doing 2d high (my end move) when they both hit each other and fell to the ground. I shrugged and bowed and all my mates thought it was planned and that I should do it again!
pretentious 12 year old

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
I reccomend not saying LOL. Unless you want to be laughed at.

Toddyupa

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
I reccomend not saying LOL. Unless you want to be laughed at.
Once again, know what you mean. I also figured that "my diabolo ran out of battery causes some suspicions. Some non-jugglers could think you have some electric diabolo (someone at my circus thought my one was one. You're supposed to be able to press buttons and the diabolo does the rest - never seen or heard of them again)

For other people reading this, I realised that after the good tricks you need to give the audience a look - 'How good was that!' or 'I think that deserves a clap?' look. Pretend to be a bit full of yourself. Tug your tie during infinite suicides- if you have one!!
pretentious 12 year old

Arjan

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
For other people reading this, I realised that after the good tricks you need to give the audience a look - 'How good was that!' or 'I think that deserves a clap?' look. Pretend to be a bit full of yourself. Tug your tie during infinite suicides- if you have one!!

Now you are giving out the tips and tricks? You don't have to pretend you are a bit full of yourself, you are already.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal