Author Topic: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009 (call for submissions)  (Read 42960 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009 (call for submissions)
« on: August 08, 2009, 03:34:24 AM »
You've seen it before. The sheer awesomeness amazed you. Be a part of something big.

Announcing the official call for submissions for the Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009. We're celebrating our 5th year anniversary in November and 5 years is an eternity for an internet forum. This video will be part of the celebration.

Who?
This year our faithful editor will be none other than our very own Jesse of Incase of Emergency fame. He's Canadian. He's a great diaboloist. He's one heck of an editor. He's an all-around swell guy. All hail this year's King.

What?
A stupendously amazing compilation of short video clips from the global diabolo community. The tricks don't need to be hard. The tricks don't need to be complicated. The clips just need to be interesting, shot in an interesting place, shot with a reasonably high quality camera, and shot with decent lighting.

When?
We are accepting submissions from now until September 30th. You hear that? Get creative. Get crazy. Get filming. NOW.

Where?
Upload your clips to a file hosting site such as http://mediafire.com/ or your own server and send a link through the officially sanctioned Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009 submission form: http://diabolo.ca/collab

Please for the love of Henrys yellow string (the old unspeckled kind) don't use rapidshare. Would you want to sit there waiting for the timer to tick down for all these clips? I didn't think so.

Why?
Because this creates that nice warm fuzzy community feeling you get when a large group of people gets together and CREATES something amazing. Plus it's going to be one heck of a good video. Don't miss being a part of it.

What are we looking for again?
Something interesting that involves the diabolo. Your clip or clips do not have to include hard complicated tricks with crazy integrals or 4 high siteswaps. That stuff's going to happen anyways so there's no need to encourage it. Variety is key folks.

If 4 high siteswaps aren't your thing then listen up. Your clip just has to be interesting to other diaboloists. Your trick could be funny or stupid (but still entertaining). It could explore some very basic aspect of the diabolo in a new way. It could be an interesting tweak on an old trick. Be creative. We'll leave it at that.

Most importantly, it needs to be FILMED WELL. That means:
1. Borrow a proper video camera if you don't have one. 640x480 pixels and 25 frames per second minimum. No need for HD. The final video will be in SD anyways.
2. Film with an interesting background that still makes it easy to see you and your gear. This almost always will mean GOING OUTSIDE.
3. Film with good light. This means do not film with the light or sun directly behind you.
4. Upload the clip in its original file format for Jesse. Do not recompress it. The files are going to be big (~30-100mb). That's OK.

Here's another key part. Keep your clip a secret. Don't post it on the web. Don't talk about it on the forum. Trust me, it's far better that way.

Although I'm sure Jesse will try his hardest, he won't be able to include everyone's clips. I can tell you from past experience that more often than not clips will be rejected for filming quality rather than content. Get that part right, OK?

If you have any questions, post them here or ask Jesse at collab09 "at" diabolo "dot" ca.

Got it? Then diabolo, film, and submit.

Toddyupa

Re: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009 (call for submissions)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 07:12:47 AM »

Where?
Upload your clips to a file hosting site such as http://mediafire.com/ or your own server and send a link through the officially sanctioned Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009 submission form: http://diabolo.ca/collab

Most importantly, it needs to be FILMED WELL. That means:
1. Borrow a proper video camera if you don't have one. 640x480 pixels and 25 frames per second minimum. No need for HD. The final video will be in SD anyways.

Any other ways too send the clips? Like, at collab09 @ diabolo.ca or an email of some sort?

Also, what if the quality is just too low, like 23 frames or 630x450 ?

Looking forward too it!
pretentious 12 year old

Collin

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
Can we post the video on jugglingtv where you can download it?

btw, this is extremely creepy to me because I had a dream about this last night but I just remembered now. wait, those are premonitions. I'm getting off topic. point is, I'm so EXCITED and some good music choices would be "Fireworks" from the Harry potter 5 soundtrack and (Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Title Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued" (WITHOUT LYRICS) by fall out boy, both of which you could probably get with a bittorrent downloader.

:-D Collin (Go Canada!)
Why are so many diaboloists British anyways?

Martijn

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »
Prepare for epicness!

The Void

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:41:49 AM »
Can we post the video on jugglingtv where you can download it?

Yes, but make sure you un-tick 'public' when you're uploading it - you don't want to spoil the surprise.

The Void
Vaild verifier
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
Ah good news, I'm so happy I didn't make another practice video the other day! Can't wait for this, and Jesse as editor... Good news!

Mr.D

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the result!  :)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

Hack

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
Alright! I've been working on some things. This'll be fun.

NiekG

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
Cool! In the submit part of the site, it says you have to rename your file to firstname_initial_discriptive_words.avi, but what does initial stand for? (I know I'm stupid probably) Is it the first letter of your last name?  :-|
Meh,

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »
Is it the first letter of your last name?  :-|
Yes. It's not really essential unless we have multiple people with the same name. Up to you.
Any other ways too send the clips? Like, at collab09 @ diabolo.ca or an email of some sort?
The video files will be far too big to e-mail as attachments. Please use the submission form so that Jesse can keep all the data organized.
Also, what if the quality is just too low, like 23 frames or 630x450 ?
Good luck finding a camera that shoots that frame rate and resolution! There are certain standards. If it's iffy, ultimately it's Jesse's discretion.

Hack

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 06:13:44 PM »
Ok, so am I right in assuming that it would be better to send in one clip of you doing a few tricks, than to send in multiple clips?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
Probably better if you split up your tricks into separate clips unless they are meant to go together.

ERIK da blue

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 06:28:17 PM »
Can't wait for this.
I hope to get a clip to submit this year.
Always an amazing video, gets better every year.
Sideways is rubbish

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
Ace.

The collab video shows the true evolutionary path of the diabolo from year to year. Sadly, each year seems to pass by more quickly than the previous....

BlackLoveBite

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 06:48:51 PM »
I'll try and put something together!
http://www.youtube.com/BlackLoveBite - My youtube. VISIT IT!
Keep Spinning My Fellow Diaboloists!

Timaeschulze

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
Yeah in every year you can see diabolo community growing. Hop we can write or play history this year, too.

Toddyupa

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 11:50:55 PM »
The video files will be far too big to e-mail as attachments. Please use the submission form so that Jesse can keep all the data organized.
   Sweet! Hope JTV sends me my email with right verification code so I can actually be a part of this! They keep getting better, this will be MASSIVE!
pretentious 12 year old

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »
Sweet! Hope JTV sends me my email with right verification code so I can actually be a part of this!
Or spare them the server space and just create a temporary download link at a site like http://mediafire.com
All it takes is 2 clicks, then a 3rd to select your file:
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:
Select your file.

Toddyupa

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 02:49:34 AM »
You've got all the right cards Sean! Now you show me, i does seem very easy...
pretentious 12 year old

Ace

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
I might submit some combos, too  ;)
<– That's me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal