Author Topic: A question of spin...  (Read 7956 times)

Hallwood

A question of spin...
« on: June 13, 2005, 02:45:32 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am new to the entire Diabolo world and know completely -zip-.
Anyway my issue is that I have no idea how fast my Diabolo is supposed to spin, also I seem to be completely un-fluent with whipping and keeping the thing going, are there any particular places I should go for tips on improving the spin of my diabolo?. I have a Yoho Diabolo (www.yoho.com.au), would one of the clutch/bearing ones be better? That's all I've got, thanks in advance for taking the time to read and/or reply.

ne00xide

A question of spin...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
All of that definately comes with time. My chinese whips were soooo ugly first time I did them. Matter of fact I think I hit myself in the face... anyway, you don't need a ball bearing diabolo to get good spin. I prefer finesses with weights (seeing as they are very light) the heavier the diabolo, the faster it'll spin. Most people prefer henrys circus which are about 300g. So in the end it comes down to technique and weight. You're diabolo is probably fine for now, so just brush up on technique. :)

Chiok

• Donator
A question of spin...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »
All I can say is watch more diabolo videos, you'll see how most people accelerate their diabolos (with 1D, I think the orbital thrusts รก la Priam are the preferred. I like horizontal whips.)  And check out www.diabolotricks.com which was and still is somewhat of an authority for all diaboloists to learn the foundations to tricks and make so me of your own.

Horizontal whips are on http://diabolotricks.com/Addspin.htm at the bottom which is very knacksome to get the flow right as you wanna kinda of move with the diabolo.  I do it with a right hand wrap around the axle which gets the diabolo up to speed fairly quickly if you're string's a lil old.

The right speed is a matter of opinion but most of the time you'll want enough speed to hold a stick grind for about 5 seconds and then still be able to get it back onto the string and spinning.  If your diabolo is a lil unbalanced, when it has lots of speed, your string will vibrate.  Or like many experienced diaboloists with absolutely filthy diabolos, you can judge spin when the dirt becomes a blur.

Just find a method for you which gets you the most speed with as little effort or correction needed.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Hallwood

A question of spin...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:15:26 PM »
I am finding I need to do 3 or 4 whips between tricks just to keep it spinning amply, but yes, I assumed practice was the key. I learned some tricks today from the diabolotricks.com and I really love this toy. More fun than yoyos (which I also started the other day). I love this trick called Crossed Rope, its very fun to do.
Thanks everyone.

MattF

A question of spin...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:35:50 PM »
Mr Babache Harlequins are good for judging the amount of spin on the diabolos because they are mottled. They're also heavy meaning they tend to spin for longer periods of time.

Speaking from experience though, i would say go with Mr babache finesse g2's or Henry's Circus's.

HTH,

MattF

Arjan

A question of spin...
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:40:09 PM »
Only whip just enough speed for the trick or combination you want to do, all the speed you whip to much is wasted because your trick is already over. Don`t spill energy whipping to much speed just for nothing.
For 1 diabolo combo`s, you only need just enough speed for the diabolo to stay balanced. You should be able to make speed with your lines, and keep speed.

Vojtas

A question of spin...
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 03:53:39 PM »
Quote from: Arjan
Only whip just enough speed for the trick or combination you want to do, all the speed you whip to much is wasted because your trick is already over. Don`t spill energy whipping to much speed just for nothing.
For 1 diabolo combo`s, you only need just enough speed for the diabolo to stay balanced. You should be able to make speed with your lines, and keep speed.

Yeah, that's true. I can't stand when my friends are whipping diabolos for nearly a minute and then they do just one trick...
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal