Author Topic: Two Performances This Weekend  (Read 4419 times)

bourgeois.jason

Two Performances This Weekend
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
Guys and Gals,

I'm performing tonight in front of about 50 people.  I have my routine planned out a bit, but I haven't had much time to practice.

I have a bigger performance tomorrow night in front of about 600 people at an Asian festival here in South Houston.  I'll be doing the same routine for both shows.

Does anyone have some advice to keep from getting nervous and going too fast?  I have performed before, but not very many times or in front of as many people.

I'll post the video, if I can get a camera and film it.  Thanks,
Jason

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Re: Two Performances This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
Don't start your routine right away! Do something else the first minute when yur on the stage! Swing some with your sticks to get a bit more comfortable or so..

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
I like that advice!  Will do!!

Thanks!

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »
Don't try and avoid eye contact with the audience. Take a big look at them when you're walking up. Works for me but it could just as probably make you more nervous.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

martijn

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
Another piece of adviceis to take your time for your poses, pauses and applause moments. A few seconds in one position on stage feel like eternity. This could help you to stay calm and feel the tempo of your performance.

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
Ive never performed with diabolo but ive done loads of performances with my band. Its good to be nervous, but dont let nerves turn into panic. Stay relaxed and focused. Be prepared for mistakes and drops, there gonna happen, just dont let them put you off the performance. Smile alot, if you pull of an impressive trick give the audience a cheeky grin. Watch loads of videos of other performances and learn from them.

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
I'm really liking all this advice!

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »
Hey I would like to refer you to this tread

http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=5628.0

Take a look at it and you might find some more usefull stuff over their!

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »
Just take a deep breath and relax. Stretch a bit so your muscles arent as tense and maybe do a few jumping jacks and stuff to expell the excess energy. Like others said, dont aviod the crowd, make eye contact with them and have certain pauses in your routine where you look at them; thats when they know to clap. If you can, maybe talk a bit about yourself and your juggling history before performing. And most importantly dont freak out if you drop or mess up, it happens especially on stage. Try to play it off and act cool if you mess up, or even be a bit comedic. Good luck!
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Toddyupa

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
There is some stuff here http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=6917.0 and some useful links on the page.

One of the ways I feel more comfortable on stage is whenever I do a trick (Definently the first) I stare at the audience to kind of make them clap.
pretentious 12 year old

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 03:07:24 AM »
Thanks guys!  I just got home from the first performance, and I'd say it went well.  It was a youth group at my church, and most of them had never seen a diabolo before.  After about three tricks, I put both sticks in one hand and waived my other hand to indicate they should clap.  They clapped and laughed.

I tried to take all of your advice into consideration.  I did drop a few times because I was nervous and the lights were a bit low, but overall, I think it went well.

The big show is tomorrow.  I'll perform in front of 600 people, so I have to be on my "A" game.  I'll do lots of practicing tomorrow morning!

Oh, I didn't get my hands on a video camera, but I'll really try to locate one tomorrow.  I'd like to post to get some advice after the fact.

Thanks,

Jason

NiekG

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
We'd like to see your performance so try to get a camera ;) And I'd like to wish you good luck for your show tomorrow :D
Meh,

wgm

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:26:12 AM »
before you go on stage make sure you warm up. i wouldn't let there be more than a 20 minute break before your warm ups and performance. it helps alot

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:20:19 PM »
Everyone,

Thanks very much for the advice!!! Please see the video here: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=7135.msg85841#msg85841

-Jason

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal