Author Topic: What can I ask for this?  (Read 4888 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
What can I ask for this?
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Hey I have been asked to give a 5 sesion workshops of each an hour. And I will bring 13 sets of diabolo's and give a demonstration.

They told me to tell them what I ask for this but I have NO idea!

If anyone has any suggestions or idea's that I could ask I would appreciate it!

Thanks Ramon

The Void

Re: What can I ask for this?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
All on the same day? How far will you have to travel? Who for? - a school, charity, scout group or similar, an organised event? A sponsor or marketing promotion? How experienced are you? Are these five workshops the same, or do they link up and build? Who else would they ask if you said no?

All these and more are considerations. Don't undercharge, but also don't be unrealistic in your hopes. I would say £40 would be a minimum "mate-rate" (for an inexperienced performer), and anywhere up to £350 would be top whack (but seeing as you didn't even know how much to ask, I think that's probably out of your league).

Hope that helps your thinking.

The Void
Cranberried
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »
At one point I started asking for about 20% than for my previous gig more each time I was offered work. I actually still do this, and while some clients try to reduce the fee, I'm happier and happier with the work I take and the money I make.

If I were you I'd ask for 200 quid, just to see if they bite. Then next time ask 250. After a few juggling workshops you'll settle onto a fee that suits you.
Luke

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »

If I were you I'd ask for 200 quid, just to see if they bite. Then next time ask 250. After a few juggling workshops you'll settle onto a fee that suits you.

Dude 200!!? That sounds like a little much?

And the Void it is for a primary school for the 3 highest groups. And I don't think its building up its most probbaly just give them a diabolo tell them how to do it and let them play and perhaps a little demonstration. It's 5 hours. From the ( sort of gouverment ) I got 15 euro a hour so I should get atleast 75.. I could also ask her first what she had in thoughts?

martijn

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
I'd say 200 quid for 5 hours is pretty decent.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »
I'd say 200 quid for 5 hours is pretty decent.

Err I'm not to sure what they will respond to me when I say 200 euros..

But I did thought 40 euro a hour would be decent..

martijn

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »
There's only one way to find out. I don't think they will be able to find it any cheaper.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
I just dropped them an e-mail that I'll do it for €190

*muhahahahaha*
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
After everything is agreed to and publicized, be sure to mention the equipment "wear and tear" charge of $5 (I don't know how to type a euro) per diabolo set per workshop.

wgm

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:27:48 AM »
5 hours with primary school kids? you are going to get very tired. i have to do workshops all of the time and if its only you feel free to ask for alot of money. juggling is one of the hardest things to teach at workshops.

Richard

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »
I agree with WGM - kids are VERY taxing to teach.

A lot harder than adults just cause their attention spans and communication skills aren't as advanced.

I'd go for 200 and see what they say.

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
The first gigs I did I had this same mindset: "15 quid an hour? Great! I'll work for five hours and make 75 quid? Great!"

However, you are not working in a factory, nor is this a nine to five job, where 15 quid an hour adds up to a livable wage at 40 hours a week, 46 weeks a year.

You are instead being paid for your skill as a diaboloist, as a teacher and as an entertainer. You are being paid for delivering a very specific and specialized task. It doesn't just take you the 5 hours, it takes you the whole day, the business costs, the costs of the diabolos, and the time and money you've spent training and building skills.

And the school already knows this! I happen to know many people who do workshops at school, and they charge well over 200 euros. Probably closer to 500 euros or more. You aren't at this level yet, but each time you do a workshop you'll improve, and you'll keep raising your prices until you find the right balance.

Personally if I looked at the time I spend ACTUALLY on stage, and the money I get paid, I'd be on about 1,000 euro an hour. Once I got paid almost 7,000 USD, and was on stage for just under an hour. That didn't pay for my time on stage though, of course, it paid for me being away for two weeks, the 50 hours I had to spend traveling to get to and from the gig, had to give my agent his cut, and all the rest. Also, unless I don't want to spend any time at home, I can't do this all the time, so the money is also paying for the time I DON'T work.

Is it falling into place? Ask for 200 euro. Or more.
Luke

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »
Guys thank you so much! I haven't had a reply yet since I asked her to offer something first.. But anyways in the future I know what to do! Seriously thanks to you all and the nice replys!

I can do alot of things with it! And luke you are right! They pay for alot more my skills I built up, my teaching, entertaining etc all of that!

I'm gonna keep this in my mind =)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal