Author Topic: Audition video  (Read 5014 times)

wgm

Audition video
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:21:55 AM »
This is my audition video for the Circus Smirkus Big Top Tour, a circus in new england that tours all summer.
*edit* this video is to demonstrate skills i have to show i can perform multiple things, because they would not accept someone who could only do one thing. this is in no way the last step in the audition process, i still have to perform live and be interviewed and other stuff.
Will McGowan Circus Smirkus Big Top Tour Audition video 2010
comments?

Kjeldabolo

Re: Audition video
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »
Pretty good!
But you could smile a bit more to get the audience to like you
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

ahhow5587

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:16 PM »
nice :)

wgm

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »

But you could smile a bit more to get the audience to like you
yeah i probably should. i do more when i'm performing.

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
This is in my opinion not an audition video. It's just a random montage of some stuff you more or less can do. After watching it, I did not get a clear picture of your capabilities or routine or what so ever.

*edit* ps, I dont think a audition video belongs to be on youtube. A promotion video could.
O, the ****ing diabolo is tilted in the picture of the embedded youtube thingy above, not a good first impression for example.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »
Arjan have a look at Al (diabolobro)'s audition video... That got him into this, and its more a less just a montage?

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »
The only thing I found that could be done better is the diabolo clips where only part of you is on screen. A lot of the time, it just shows the diabolo and cuts off the rest of you. People are as interested in what you're doing as a performer as much as what the prop is doing. If you're auditioning, this has to be a visual resume and you want to show off yourself as much as what you can do.

Some clips of you performing helps if you have them. Al had a few clips showing that he has performance experience as well as showing off various skills.

So, to sum, the video shows you're solid in several bits of juggling, but I'm not clear on your performance experience.

wgm

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »
This is in my opinion not an audition video.
This video is really just for showing off skills so you can get into the live auditions, where you perform a solo act. so no its not really and "audition". and they could probably care less about a tilted diabolo.

Arjan

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:31:34 AM »
I might have sounded a bit rude but I was just trying to help. Still in any way I think the video does not have the function of an audition video.
I actually have had classes in this subject, I think I know what I'm talking about.

Mr.D

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
Back to the video.

It is not as thorough as I assume a audition video needs to be. You have captured some tricks and moves you can do and mixed the scenes into a video, but that is completely different from producing and performing a routine. I believe a better way to advertise about yourself is to make a routine, perform and film it. Then off course you can add some more fancy moves while the credits (or similar) roll by, to show that you can do more than just the routine.

Good luck :)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
What is unknown to most of the people posting here is the actual context of such a video.  Circus Smirkus is a youth circus, accepting primarily kids aged 10-18.  The application process begins with a written application and a short video showcasing your skills.  They then select from these applications certain people to come to a live audition and perform an act.  The first stage of the application (the short video shown above), is about skills, not performance capabilities.  So Arjan, keep in mind that this is a kid applying for most likely the first or one of the first performing opportunities in his life, who has likely not even been doing circus for more than a few years (at least at a serious level).  This is not an audition tape to a circus school in Europe or an application to a cabaret or other professional opportunity.  After 2 minutes on google, you can find the exact application instructions (http://smirkus.org/htm/tour/pdf/audition_process.pdf) explaining exactly what I have said above.  Maybe a little more thought about the context of the original post might decrease the possibility of a flame war.

Will:  Like Duncan said, it's hard to tell what's going on in a few shots due to the closeness of the camera, so in the future I would try and get the whole trick in the shot.  Also important from a non-diaboloist point of view is to stick to visually distinct tricks.  Tricks that look kind of similar to you but that are technically different often look exactly the same to an inexperienced observer.  Good work otherwise!

-Nate
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

wgm

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
thanks to everyone for the criticism and comments, even if I disagreed with them. I am considering adding/subtracting clips with better shots and tricks. I also want to incorporate non-juggling circus stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal