Author Topic: Re: Audition video  (Read 4443 times)

robbie322

Re: Audition video
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
Arjan, i think the above comment is callous, and unhelpful. You could have said what you wanted without being so scathing, not to mention swearing at the guy.
Making the possible totally impossible

martijn

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »
Arjan, i think the above comment is callous, and unhelpful. You could have said what you wanted without being so scathing, not to mention swearing at the guy.

I think Arjan can do far worse! On a more serious note, Arjan's post was rather helpful, he pointed out what was wrong with the video and how to improve it. Since when did honest criticism become unwanted on the forum?

robbie322

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
But that's exactly I'm saying. Arjan could have said that in a more helpful positive way. There's just simply no need to use swear words. Some people on this forum seem to be very harsh when it would be a lot more productive to just be friendly (and still honest)
Rob (no beef intended)
Making the possible totally impossible

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »
Since when did honest criticism become unwanted on the forum?
Erm ages ago. There were plenty of people that used to give feedback in the form Arjan used and all that got was posts deleted I seem to remember. The question we should be asking is since when did honest criticism become ok on the forum?

Arjans comment had purpose until he decided to do the edit, then it just became foolish.

martijn

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
Could you give me some examples Hath? I don't agree with you about that point, but I would like to know what kind of posts you see similar to Arjan's post above before I can respond to your statement.

There's just simply no need to use swear words.

No beef token, but getting offended by the use of curse words is sooooo last century. They can be useful to emphasize the seriousness of your expression or be used in a comical way. I don't understand why some people attach so much meaning to the use of mere words (they get censored so it's not an issue of getting the forum blocked in some places such as schools).

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
Could you give me some examples Hath?
I can't remember what votw it was, but I believe William just said he didn't like it, that led to a massive debate involving things getting deleted, in fact Tijn I seem to remember you being completely on the other side of the fence about half a year ago.

They can be useful to emphasize the seriousness of your expression or be used in a comical way.
Classic. Not at all, they're good in that case for people who can't express themselves properly. All it really does is make you look like a fool who needs to use these words for 'seriousness and expression'.

Swear words really don't bother me in anyway shape or form, but they were completely unnecessary in this instance. If Arjan couldn't construct what he wanted to say without effectively getting juvenile then he shouldn't have botherd really.

I actually have had classes in this subject, I think I know what I'm talking about.
How nice for you, I've had plenty of classes in plenty of things that doesn't mean I think I can be a **** to people (did that help with my emphasis?), or that I can act like a pompus arse. So that's what circus school does to you?

martijn

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »
I think you see these things too black and white Hath. The comment ("I didn't like it") on that VotW was not constructive at all. The debate that followed wasn't caused by that single comment (it was only induced by it), the actual cause was a series of events on the forum (if I recall correctly, you and Toby were a part of that[nb]the last thing I want to do is to beat that dead horse, as I'm rather enjoying your posts lately. Just trying to make a point here.[/nb])

In this case Arjan was actually trying to be helpful (something he's not always after) and then he gets flamed at for being honest? I don't think that's fair.

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:42:26 PM »
I'll get back to this, but that was rather unpolite and respectless of you.
Yes Hathaway, thank, that was a total kick to the balls. I'm was trying to help this little ****ing annoying noob with his lame pathatic audition video, and now I'm offcourse the bad guy. Sharing my knowledge here with people is not being a dick, me is being a dick right now because you pissed me off.

And ow yes, I could have given much much more advise to the kid, but I think it was enough already to start with. Ow and I swear whenever I want, I know it's pointless, but sometimes that the only decent thing to say.

Actually, thinking about it... I think I shouldn't have posted at all, because I was already expecting my comments where not of any use to the topic starter. His video showed actually soooo much unproffesionalism that it's was actually just pathatic on my side trying to help the kid.

Next time I'll just shut up and you simple minds have nothing to get upset about.

martijn

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »
You see! I told you Arjan can do a lot worse! :P

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
okay now im starting to get a bit tired of this mudthrowing  ::)

I too share the same opinion as Arjan and i follow him in what he says about unproffesionalism. At the first view, i too, though "now this wont be near good enough" but hey, let the kid have his try (: constructive critizism (spelled?) is a very strange thing. Some people can take it and some people cant. I, myself, would be glad if somebody would give me some advice and i would accept and learn as much as i can, wether it was a bitchslap because i suck or a pat on the shoulder to keep trying. Swear words... they are not an offence to me at all and i think that people who cant stand them should man themselves up. Hath i understand that you think Arjan acted like a pompous **** because in Denmark we have a thing called Janteloven (a kind of non-legal law meaning "dont think you are better than others") and i favor that. Respect for others is an important thing but sometimes it is hard to have. I myself have very hard to keep respect for people, bossing other people around. A slap can be just as helpfull as a pat on the shoulder and some people just dont understand pats so a slap is needed. You both are very talented jugglers and this guy could really need some help, so why not put this freakin mudfighting to rest and start helping the guy. Arjan you can keep doing it the way you want to and Hath you should do it the way you feel like it.

Respect to both from Denmark

-Tipper
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

jamzjazz

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »
Well said.

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

NiekG

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »
This is just extremely childish. And Arjan, I really think dragging the starter of this topic in the fight was a bit low. Didn't think these things happened on a forum that's so much fun normally.
Meh,

wgm

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
Arjan, I appreciate your criticism, even though I disagree with some of it. And I am not getting involved with this argument over whatever it is

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 11:28:23 PM »
Smells like Ivory Towers.
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 08:41:38 AM »
Yes, after retracing the thread I was very disrespectful and awfully unpolite. I of course apologise from the bottom of my heart, please don't stop the fountain of knowledge just because of my reckless comments. I am truely madly deeply sorry.

Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me? I can change...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal