Author Topic: Diabolo Preferences  (Read 9903 times)

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
Diabolo Preferences
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:23:41 PM »
mod edit - Sean - I edited your subject and added a blog post.

i think this year will be a lot of "taibolo" and "sundia sun"

what do you think?

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Diabolo Preferences
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
Wrote a blog post:
http://diabolo.ca/diabolo-preferences/

and for reference:

Midoryu

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
Hmm...Very interesting, of course.  This data, if taken to further years, can be computed into appropriate functions that model the popularity of the diabolos.  That would be interesting to see.  One thing's for sure:  For people interviewed, Harlequin and Yoho/Diabigs will be expected to hit a horizontal asymptote of y=0 a little after 2009, if plotted along a graph of # of people using it versus time in years.  By the way...this isn't taking into account other factors, so the predictions will be nice and linear.  That's all I can make of the graph, actually.  Anybody else?
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Flob

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:30:49 PM »
Nice chart. Nothing more to say.

martijn

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »
Nice work Sean! Very interesting. I just hope that the results of the annual polls are realistic.

Arjan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
Good read! Thanks!

JC

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:11:05 PM »
perhaps they are realistic for Taiwan...
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
I'd think in Taiwan it would be all Taibolos/Sundia/Yoho. Certainly this doesn't reflect the world as a whole, but is probably a reasonably approximation of diaboloists on the forum. Thanks largely to Nev, the UK is probably a stronghold for Sundia/Taibolo at the moment, and that might be influencing it.

The top countries visiting the forum as of August 2009 (Taiwan was 17th!):

Dark blue = pages, light blue = hits, green = bandwidth.

Hey France: you're using a lot of bandwidth, eh? :)

That's why I think it would be neat to also have some data by location. Would make a great map.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
Hey France: you're using a lot of bandwidth, eh? :)
My bad  ::)

A bit surprised to see USA first. Can't think of that much american diabolists.

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
This is cool. Interesting thoughts, Sean! Nice to see the top countries too.
All these forum statistics make me wonder how things are going financially? I don't want to see those statistics of course ha ha, I mean with the donations. Are people still donating and is it still necessary? Are the t-shirts selling well?

Wis

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »
Yes...quite interesting.

I didn't know that yohos were going so low

thanks for your Sean!
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
A bit surprised to see USA first. Can't think of that much american diabolists.

It's just the Sharpes googling themselves ;)
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »
A bit surprised to see USA first.
Yeah, me too. I'll bet it's at least partly due to search engine hits. They index the forum quite frequently and that's a lot of hits. Also there are just a lot of people in the US. Even if there aren't a lot of serious diaboloists, there are probably a lot of people who read the forum.

I didn't show September results. Canada has moved up the list. Welcome back Duncan. :)

Are people still donating and is it still necessary? Are the t-shirts selling well?
Hasn't been much in the way of donations recently, but the shirts are still selling regularly. Enough to cover the costs at least. There have also been some vendors interested, but I need to figure out exactly what to do about that.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »
I didn't show September results. Canada has moved up the list. Welcome back Duncan. :)
I do my best.

Anyway, I had a few thoughts to complement Sean's own thoughts on the survey. Also, I'm trying to keep in mind that this is a small sample of the actual number of diaboloists in the world, reminding myself that people who regularly talk on the site are people who 'potentially' have a bit more money to throw around than others, and have access to trying many more types of diabolos than others. Not saying that this is how it is, but it's something to look for in a later study.

Speaking of finances, a quick look at the prices of diabolos on some websites show why people might be gravitating towards the Eastern diabolos. Circuses are a tiny bit more expensive than the Finesse (which might suggest why the finesse still sells quite well outside of it being available everywhere), and Nev sells his at a comparable price to the Circus diabolos. Sean suggested that it was because of the availability, but I think it's a bit beyond a suggestion and more of a fact for this website. This is skewed, however, by the fact that many people on this website know Nev and, thus, buy from him (which is not a bad thing, but it's a possibility). Availability is something to keep in mind for the future poll.

Geographic preference would be very cool to look at in a future poll. How we go about asking people that shall be interesting to figure out.

Is this poll representative of the forum as a whole? 268 out of 3090 (checked as of 1:20 19 October 2009) users is slightly unrepresentative (11.5% of the forum). Granted, how many of those 3090 actually regularly check the forum? Probably closer to the number who answered the polls.

All in all, lots of stuff to look for in a future poll. Factors which determine which diabolo people purchase would be interesting to note, specifically availability (both geographical and financial), and also which stores people tend to buy their equipment from would be interesting to know.

Donat

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »
back to the question of the undying finesse. I think it might be partly due to the fixing system, you can invest so much money into accessories that it would be come hard to switch brands. they also keep people hooked with their generations.
I'm a taibolo glary person right now.

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »
i would be great if this year there would be a handsticks poll and a diabolo weight poll

martijn

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »
I hope you mean sticks and string preferences? If so, I like the idea.

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
yeah,i mean sticks,but...string ...i didnt say anything....but its a good idea

i mean diabolo weight ,for example,i prefer diabolo around 250gr

martijn

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 10:31:27 PM »
Yes, I understood what you posted, I just don't see the point into a diabolo weight preference poll. That might be a bit too specific, no?

As for sticks and string preferences, I'm pretty curious to know what people prefer on a (somewhat) global scale.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
Agreed. I'd like to figure out something so we can look at the trends on a geographic scale too.

I think I'll run the same diabolo poll as before (so we have consistent data) but also have some other external poll on equipment preferences where people enter their location as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal