Author Topic: "Whipping" the cradle and things like that  (Read 4503 times)

Vojtas

"Whipping" the cradle and things like that
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:33:02 AM »
can someone give me an explanation (or video tutorial  :wink: ) of this kind of japanese tricks? Baptiste was doing it in Diabology - "Respect to japanese crew", but i even don't know the name of these tricks (that's why i used "whipping")...  

first video
second video
third video

i tried it a lot, but have no theory. i'm just blindly "whipping" around the diabolo... but i've done it twice! in my whole life...  :cry:
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 11:08:31 AM »
They're called Japanese Whips I believe, so you're not far off at all.  If you look in the trick video archive by se├ín, near the bottom (I think under webs or something) there are some topics about japanese whips to genocides and various other things.  Also Nick did a trick of the week a month or so ago which used japanese whips in eiffel tower configurations.

I too have no idea how you get them to work, or what position the diabolo is in afterwards.  I believe it's like slack string work, and you just get the string to loop round like Trash's web (which I can do).  I like the third video - good way to get into a tiger cradle.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 09:46:55 PM »
A reverse japanese whip is easier than a normal one. To do one assuming your right-handed is to move your right hand in a flicking motion clockwise so that your stick hits the string on the right hand side which develops a loop, which in turn catches the axle of the diabolo.Also try to throw the diabolo an inch or so off the string-this might make it easier.

Hope this helps

Leo.
Behind your back is your front.

Twilite

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »
Just had a quick go at that in my room and managed it two out of about five tries.
Problem is I can't actually see what's going on, so I don't know where I need to adjust! Any pointers on aiming, or is just a case of keeping everything in line?

And how do I modify that method into a normal Japanese whip? Thanks.
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:13:45 AM »
To help see what you're doing right/wrong, exagerate the movement more, make it large, creating a larger and slower loop to play with.  Also play with hopping the diabolo up as mentioned before, but try to keep the string directly under it by playing with taking the slack out either by practising your whips or just by pulling the string ever so slightly taught underneath.

Just a few suggestions as to how I learnt  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal