Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 17007 times)

iHelix

Beginner
« on: June 18, 2005, 10:39:40 PM »
I just got my Diabolo....ive been doing it for about 6-8 weeks, but just got my own.  I can only do very basic tricks, and wanted to know what stuff should i learn after the sun,  chinese snap, and over the leg throws?  Thanks guys, and any other advice would be appreciated.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 11:56:57 PM »
Hey. I remeber when I barely got my diabolo... I sucked... badly. But some advice I can give you is to try to learn to speed up the diabolo different ways first. Also, try to get some basic whip catches, over the arm, over both arms, elevators, trapezes, magicknots, some grinds maybe, and you cant forget the suicides.  :D  Well, once you get control in suicides and stuff, you can move on to things like infinite suicide, duicide, genocide, and harder things. Also, once you get good at basics, try to link them together, like do some under the legs with some suicide exits. There are lots more combos that you can do.

Oh yeah, one more piece of advice that I find true for myself is that you should have some fun when diaboloing, it shouldnt be something you like, not something you do because you like to show off or anything. Not saying that you are like that tho.

Good luck, hope this post helped out. 8)
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

iHelix

Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 02:02:35 AM »
that was a huge help...thanks

Vojtas

Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 09:02:03 AM »
you know what? buy a Diabology DVD - everything is there...  :D
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Matt_

• Donator
Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 09:53:36 AM »
the best way to learn anything is to do it with friends. keep pushing each other to do better. if you just sit by yourself you'll be at the same pace forever. hence why skateboarding alone for 5 years i never improved, but diaboloing for 8 months next to my buddies (and Matt Hall) made me not suck :p

Llama_Bill

Beginner
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:53:36 AM »
Also if you see a trick you really like just try it every so often and eventually it'll just click and you can practise it properly from then on.  I learnt how to do a whip catch, Japanese whips and infinite suicides this way.  Also as Matt_ said get a friend (or 30 as I've done) doing it as well you will learn so much quicker.
Bill.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Beginner
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »
If you set out to learn a trick try it for a while but spend maybe 10 minutes an hour just doing something else. It stops you being bored and getting stressed. 8)
Behind your back is your front.

seán_

Beginner
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 01:26:21 AM »
Have a look through this thread
The next step? (advancing after first tricks) It covers Purplegirls development from first tricks and has a lot of thoughts on what people tried first and where they got help from when starting.

It's turned into a Purplegirl apreciation thread ;) which is no bad thing so I havent merged this thread.

Ginger-Fox

Diabolo Basics
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 06:10:56 PM »
Hi, Could any of you guys suggest a list of basic tricks that are the the best to learn first on the diabolo??

Mattias

Beginner
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 06:22:16 PM »
I suggest you check out www.diabolotricks.com
and also check out this thread: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=725
As it kind of covers that area.
I just went back three pages to find that so i am sure there are more topics with similiar questions.

And a direct tip is to learn accelerations steady first, as this makes tricks easier.

Check out the sun, sucide, adding spin and trapeze sections on above mentioned site to get you started. And ofcourse the "Beginning Basics"
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

iHelix

Beginner
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 07:24:38 PM »
Specifically, i recommend suns and trapezes, and maybe some easy suicides.  The most important for me though was learning the chinese whip.  It makes accelleration much easier.

seán_

Beginner
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 01:45:47 AM »
High throws, then orbit them until you have low circular throws (orbits usefull in a lot of tricks)

I think I learned basic grinds next so probably worth having a go at these (a trick that will make you improve your technique for speeding the diabolo up)

Then get used to moving a diabolo with little swings etc to get you ready for tricks such as trapezes (stopovers, might as well learn these both sides while you are at it and doubles)

I think I learned cradles next,

Then arm orbits (around the arm) and leg orbits

At some point in this list I was working on various suns and suicides (but you can learn a form of these after you have trapezes)

Oh and stringclimbs :)

As several people have mentioned learning some methods of gaining speed is important and I think an overlooked method is to put one wrap around the diabolo and use a simillar motion to how you usually get speed. It is an underrated relatively painless way for a beginner to get good speed and get ready  for methods such as chinese whipping. Plenty of methods and tricks on diabolotricks.com

iHelix

Beginner
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 05:33:17 AM »
just as an update, in the last two weeks (ish) i have learned the following:
-Trapezes (up to triples with suicide outs)
-Suns
-chinese whip
-chinese snap (not very well though)
-stick grinds
-Aroudn teh leg (already knew)
-crucifix yo yo, with luke's badass out
-all types of behind the back and front to bakc to side throws and catches
-and last night i learned the two diabolo shuffle and wrap start
-also, i have pulled off a genocide a few times, and can do a few suicide variations

Thanks for all your recommendations, they have helped alot.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Beginner
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 05:38:23 AM »
:shock: Wow! And i thought i was learning fast. Keep it up man!
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

iHelix

Beginner
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 05:41:33 AM »
thanks

Matt_

• Donator
Beginner
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005, 05:51:57 AM »
dude just do what blue shadow said, buy Diabology, it will blow your mind, and give you a TON of new trick ideas. everyone in the world, from someone who got a diabolo 10 days ago to someone who got one 10 years ago, has something to learn from Diabology.

xsupergirlx

im new!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 10:35:50 PM »
Hey! im new to diabolo, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to learn new tricks quickly? or new tricks in general?? Any advice appreciated   :D  thanks a lot!
The show must go on...

JonyJ

Beginner
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 10:52:28 PM »
practice...,
and hi, welcome :)
:)))))

Valium

• Donator
Beginner
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 10:56:24 PM »
oh there are many threads like that ;)
look into the sticky tricks thread and go to www.diabolotricks.com

Arjan

Re: im new!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 04:42:29 AM »
Quote from: xsupergirlx
Hey! im new to diabolo, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to learn new tricks quickly? or new tricks in general?? Any advice appreciated   :D  thanks a lot!

chop, cut and slice up you food and vegtables like diabolo shaped figures. Eats this, and you`ll progress very very fast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal