Author Topic: stopover/trapeze (was 2 Diabolo Tricks)  (Read 13635 times)

diabololi

stopover/trapeze (was 2 Diabolo Tricks)
« on: November 19, 2004, 09:49:05 AM »
Hey everyone, first post for me.
I learnt 2 diabolos about a month ago, but I've been learning tricks very slowly. I need some help!

I can just about do sprinkler, speedwarps, sidesun (not very well)and 1 up.

I want to learn trapeze stalls, but I'm just not getting anywhere with them, any tips? And any other tricks you reccomend?

Oli

seán_

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 02:07:28 PM »
Hi  Oli,

I learned it from Dave Barnes' site http://2diabolo.net/

basically its different than with one, you reach over the diabolo and down. Daves  site should explain better. some people find it easier on different sides, I'm still not comfortable with  it on my left side.

You say you can do what you call speedwarps I assume you mean backwraps. Its not a hundred miles away from that, sometimes when I am doing backwraps to get speed up I find myself  doing the ocasional stopover /trapeze. Make sure your stick is pointing straight forward and the motion is positve and smooth.

As for what tricks next, Id say keep working on what your doing, its not a race, work through the tricks on 2diabolo.net and the tricks in diabolotricks.com. If you can do one up well, the next step there is to try two up

Seán_

diabololi

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll keep trying, I went back to 1 diabolo today and learnt genocides (wehey!).
I'm sure I'll get it in the end.

Oli

seán_

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 05:20:10 PM »
try the trapeze with one, just try the motion, maybe even over the leg.

When you get down to it its all about practice and getting the feel of using two.

If you get the chance get yourself along to a convention or a juggling club.
(links in the links sticky at the head of the forum) seeing some of these tricks in the flesh or having somebody who can do them giving you some pointers as to where you are going wrong can help a lot

Congratulations on the genocide BTW its a nice trick.

Seán_

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 11:13:15 PM »
Hey Oli,

My first two diabolo stopover was on the left side (right handed shuffle) the way i learnt it was to lift up with the left hand stick as a diabolo was travelling up it to be thrown over the top again, and as i was pulling up to quickly swoop over the diabolo with the stick and do the stopover, the only problem with that being that it makes it harder to go straight back into the shuffle, so i normally un-stopover it, lol, and swing it back under the other diabolo, the opposite way to the suffle, and then get into a stop over on the right hand side, then straight back into the shuffle.

Hopes this helps....

Matt P

seán_

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 11:48:03 PM »
well when you have the left one in a stopover, it should be relatively easy to get the right one in a stopover (because it will be isolated), then let the left one go then the right to resume the shuffle.

Seán

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »
Oh yeah, i stupidly, never thought of getting out of it that way, i just swing the same diabolo that was in a left stopover  into a right stopover and resume the shuffle.

diabololi

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 12:54:29 PM »
Thanks you lot, I'm sure ill get it in the end!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 01:25:34 PM »
i actually learned it on the right first (yes, with a right handed shuffle) becuase it seemed more logical at the time, not sure why.

If you can do a backwrap on a diabolo then its not too hard. instead of keeping the end of the stick behind the string wen u backwrap, just let it come over the diab and hit the string with the stick, this forces it into a stopover.

Hope that helps, oh to get out just come out of it.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 02:29:22 PM »
Yeah, the right hand side seems a lot easier to me too.   But then I hardly ever do left hand stopovers directly from a shuffle, so I guess what I do is bound to seem right!

diabololi

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 04:24:45 PM »
Thanks Séan, you're right! I went into a trapeze by mistake when doing speedwraps and it just clicked. I love doing right trapeze and left trapeze and realeasing them both at once!

Oli

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 06:15:44 PM »
or probably the left slightly before  :wink:  otherwise a huge collision happens.

diabololi

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »
I thought a huge collision would happen, but it doesn't! I definitely release them both at once, but I start following the right trapezed one with my stick as soon as I unwrap it. I love it!
Oli

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 07:01:44 PM »
oh yeh i see how that works, clever.

Mattias

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 10:53:53 AM »
Okey, bumptime.

I know how to do the trapeze and all that but I have a few questions about controling it once in it.

1: On the left, how do I stop the diabolo from just sliding upwards crashing into the stick? Same goes for sticktrap, how should I handle it so it stays put, I really wanna do that double realese thingy

2: I have seen that Arjan and probably many more uses a dominant hand trapeze when starting 3 high. How do I hold both sticks in one hand without the trapezed diab sliding down crashing into the non trapezed diabolo? I have tried holding the sticks apart a bit but it still slides too much and the string keeps pushing the diabolo to an uncorrected position.

Im a righty btw.
Thanks
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Arjan

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 11:28:22 AM »
Well about holding a trapeze in position:

My sticks are probably a bit dirty :P and feel a bit sticky.
That helps a bit.
But the main part is to be quick. For the three high start that matters.
Just practice over and over again, and you will be able to do it nice, precise and fast enough.

Spooned

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 11:39:04 AM »
This isnt really about stopover (/trapezes) but hey, whilst trying to do the fan i trapeze on the left side and start the fan is this the right side becaue i still cant seem to be able to do it after like 3 weeks solid practice. Thnx for ne coments
Diabolo or Diablo

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 02:17:25 PM »
I just tried the right trapeze and holding in one hand to see if the other one slides up, but currently no such problem I'm afraid.  I wasn't sure if it would happen as both should be as heavy as the other so shouldn't tip each other.  Unless the two you're using aren't of very similar weight.

Might also be an aluminium stick thing being tackier on the surface than the coated carbon and glass fibre sticks.  But if you're using alu, then I'm not sure how your problem comes about.  If you're holding far enough up the stick, you can trap the string against the stick with a finger like I've seen Priam and Martijn use to start 2 from a stopover and then throwing the other onto the string.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Mattias

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005, 09:05:03 PM »
Tried it some more and it slides down in a second or two, which is kind of little seeing I need to do a high throw. Unfair that it is just happening to me :P.
I am using Henry aluminium so the sticks arent my problem I guess. So it doesnt slide down at all for you fireblade?

Any more tips? Should I coat my sticks with honey?:)
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 10:54:23 PM »
Hmm, not really sure.  I understand the problem, but I don't see why it happens.  The only other thing I can think of is that my string really is quite old so that could be holding it up.  Not that I'm working on three high at all, but when I tried it, seemed fine.

Hope if gets better for you and you work something out.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal