Author Topic: I just learnt to... (2008)  (Read 168298 times)

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
Re: I just learnt to... (2008)
« Reply #560 on: March 18, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
3d sun is definitely not 333...cut that into a third...take it from someone who can do them, it's one beat.

siteswaps have nothing to do with speed, time or height.. siteswaps are just order numbers, when that object will be thrown again..

maybe there is not siteswap for 3d sun because you throw nothing. maybe its 333. but it wont be anything else.

i think its not very usefull to use siteswaps for low diabolo stuff anyway..

Beni

« Reply #561 on: March 18, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »
Al, Al, Al...

3d sun is not 333, it's [333]. In juggling, square brackets are used to indicate simultaneous throws. In diabolo, it's a bit different; it means that there are that many throws (which there are, they're just enclosed in a loop) but they happen at a different speed. This can also be notated as 3*, but I don't like asterisks in siteswap because they cut out a beat.
That's just my pedantic way of writing suns in siteswap.

EDIT:
siteswaps have nothing to do with speed, time or height.. siteswaps are just order numbers, when that object will be thrown again..

I disagree, if they're nothing to do with time, why are there different values for longer throws? True, they are not strictly to do with these dimensions, as one man's 7 is another's 5, but they do have something to do with them.

Beni

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #562 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »
i agree that low siteswaps should not be called siteswaps, why not give them original names like sun/vertax/orbits?

i don't really have any ideas of what to call stuff like 42 but 42* should just be called one up sun.
maybe it's time to rename a few tricks.  ???

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #563 on: March 18, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »
Dunno about time to rename a few tricks, but perhaps it's time to get back on topic. If someone wants to continue the 'swap discussion, feel free to start a new thread.

As for learned stuff, I finally figured out 3d feed-the-sun. Also finally started qualifying 5ball bounce juggling and finally started to learn some multiball contact juggling after being surrounded by it for such a long time.

-Duncan

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #564 on: March 18, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »
3d sun is not 333, it's [333]. In juggling
oooOOOooh, I apologize, completely my fault there, I misunderstood :D

Back on topic: I just learnt that our routine for the upcoming talent show needs some work
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Conor

« Reply #565 on: March 18, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
just learnt that i need to get alot better in three weeks, preferably one. and that i need a hair cut. also infinite wrapped minigens but i dont thinks thats so important.

luabduch

« Reply #566 on: March 18, 2008, 10:40:24 PM »
another vertax start (with a normal grind)
360 UFO grind
a kind of vertax suicide around the body... I'm improving it..

Ollie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #567 on: March 19, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »
Hello,

I seems like I have finally got 3 high fairly consistent and it’s been a long time coming (nearly 2 years!). I’ve had nice runs before but it was maybe 1 in every 10 attempts or less and even then I usually struggled to get past 15-20 catches. But at the last juggling club I was consistently getting good starts and runs without much thought and the better ones were around 40+ catches. I think I will bake a cake when I get to 50 :) Something has definitely clicked. Then again I have thought something was clicking before and they were just false summits. I wonder how long or what standard do you need before you can say ‘I’ve just learnt…’?

Nev and I also had some of our smoothest passing ever too.

Duncan – nice to hear you are practicing some bounce and contact juggling. I always find it nice to see Diabolists juggling other props. Your 3d feed-the-sun sounds like a good breakthrough too, something for me to work towards perhaps?

Cheerio,

Ollie

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: March 19, 2008, 03:25:58 PM »
Duncan – nice to hear you are practicing some bounce and contact juggling. I always find it nice to see Diabolists juggling other props. Your 3d feed-the-sun sounds like a good breakthrough too, something for me to work towards perhaps?

Yay, you're finally posting on here :)

I'm sure you'll be schooling me in some bounce stuff at the BJC - I've got some very basic patterns down and am eager for some stuff to mess with. My feed the sun won't be as spectacular as Jacob's stuff, but I'll try to impart what I've learned from figuring it out. I'll have to ask if Thom (cube boy from the Scottish if you remember) is coming down to the BJC and we can have a contact session as well

We've got to work on our passing for renegade as soon as we get there though ;)

As for standards for having learned something, I think it's mostly subjective to the person - learning is an ongoing process after all, and it sounds like you're finding a new summit to climb regarding 3d. For example, you learned to do 3high two years ago, so it's not like you're finally learning it - just learning to do it better.

Okay, back to learned stuff... learned that 3d gives me shoulder problems. Also starting to figure out how I can transition from 3low to high more consistently - now to get the throws down...

-Duncan

ecuador16

« Reply #569 on: March 19, 2008, 03:45:02 PM »
well
i dont really put too many posts here in diabolo.ca very often
but i feel like ive finally done some stuff that might be worth posting about

finally learned 2d mini columns and my fans are getting better progresively. I landed a 5,1 yesterday with 2d of course and my 2d high is getting a bit more solid. I've only played diabolo for about 6 or 7 months out of which i only have had 3 months of good practice time. Work, School, weather and soccer get in the way of practice time.

And ive also got some pretty decent 5 ball flashes and a couple of 4 ball tricks. I have no idea what they are called maybe ill post a video later and someone can tell me. And this is not very performance juggling related but i finally pulled off a back to back bouncing revolution in soccer. Probably a very lucky fluke

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #570 on: March 20, 2008, 01:14:25 AM »
 >:(Nooooo, Noooooo :'( :'( :'( 3d mini columns, with a shuffle after, then I dropped the 5th catch. dam. :'(

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #571 on: March 20, 2008, 02:44:18 AM »
I would practice 3 high more but my arms get so tired...  I just can't hold it that long cause my hand gets way too tired...  I did get my second 3 up 360 along with a transition to 3 low to a clean finish.

Josh

Squiggle

« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2008, 05:47:21 AM »
3 low is ok - Haven't practiced it in about a week though O.O

Getting ok with contact - Now I have another thing to waste money on T.T

And I'm working on my old sprinkler stuff again, Many ideas involving slacks + Suicides ;)

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2008, 10:26:46 PM »
God dam it. 3d mini columns again. I managed 10 catches, but had to move backwards to make a save and smashed into my wall, losing the shuffle, grrr. First day of spring my a** it's been snowing all day. *sigh* I'll take it but rr. so close.

Matt D

« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
I haven't been diabolo much...I got 5 clubs down now though, and some cool 5 ball siteswaps and am getting alot better at my 3 in each hand...and am bounce juggling 5 consistently and bounce passing 9 with a kid who is amazing and does everything for me. Diaboloing i have been working on some 2d slacks, but nothing all that hard, my 3d is coming along well also just got a sun in a couple of weeks ago.

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #575 on: March 21, 2008, 01:16:46 AM »
Alright I've gotten columns a few times now, and got five without a shuffle after.

500th POST

mod edit - size 78 coloured font is unnecessary

Beni

« Reply #576 on: March 21, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »
Well It's my first morning here in switzerland and there isn't a lot of distraction (SNOOOOW) or work (YEEEEEAH!!), and I have my camera + tripod. Maybe time for some filming?

Unfortunately, I have forgotten some really cool stuff, which is really p***ing me off. Grrr...
I just learnt an eiffel tower that I can't quite understand, a really simple star figure and a shaky and bo*****s combo.

Beni
(Can't remeber that awesome double ended triangle thing  >:()

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #577 on: March 21, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »
mod edit - size 78 coloured font is unnecessary
Fair enough. Anyway. I've gotten it. 3d columns are very close to live.

Scarp

« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »
Today i just learnt to:
-vertax suns
-continuous excalibur genocides
-continuous btb pass excalibur genocides
-double excalibur genocides
-double btb pass excalibur genocides
-mini genocide with infinite suicide exit or something like that :-\

luabduch