Author Topic: I just learnt to... (2009)  (Read 125676 times)

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
I just learnt to... (2009)
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
Edit by Sean, November 12 2009:
--------------------------
This is one of many "I just learnt to..." threads which was started by mrpink back in 2005. Its intended purpose was as follows:

When you learn a new trick you want to show it and tell others that you have achieved something new. This is a thread where you can tell about your latest achievements, doesn't matter if its the string climb or a solid four diabolo shuffle you just learnt, tell us about it! And let others be inspired by what you do!
The original "I just learnt to..." thread was the most popular thread on the forum. Long forum threads induce an extra burden on the forum database server, so to keep things running smoothly around here I have started archiving these threads by year.

If you really feel like reading them all, there are about 1000 posts per year (2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005). There may also be more years of threads since this message was written. Have a look around. Otherwise, just post in the most recent version of this thread. It should be near the top of the Tricks section. It almost always is.

Sean
-------------------------

Original message follows:

Better 3D unfeed the sun, ive done a few fts 2-3-2-3. Ive been trying 2-2-2-3-2-3 (i think thats right.... maybe its 42*-42*-42*-3*-42*-3*?), but i havnt had much luck with that. I get 2-2-2-3-dead. Also beated suns, 2-3-3 and a very close 2-3-3-3

Hector 641

• VotW Contributor
Re: I just learnt to... (2009)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »
Better 3D unfeed the sun, ive done a few fts 2-3-2-3. Ive been trying 2-2-2-3-2-3 (i think thats right.... maybe its 42*-42*-42*-3*-42*-3*?), but i havnt had much luck with that. I get 2-2-2-3-dead. Also beated suns, 2-3-3 and a very close 2-3-3-3

:o dodson, you get too good too fast with 3d.
2 months before you couldn´t even manage 70 otts.

I have to train more 3d ;D

btw I slowly get the hang of 3d suns and Accelerations, but 42 and 42* is still a long long way  :'(

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:18:12 AM »
vertax suns... first time i ever tried them
can't believe its not butter

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 04:22:22 PM »
I have learnt maybe 5-10 tricks exclusive to one-sided diabolo the past few weeks and everytime I learn a new one I gain a bigger appreciation for the chinese geezers who do it in parks. They don´t even have bearings on theirs, they´re just plain crazy.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 05:22:54 PM »
I gain a bigger appreciation for the chinese geezers who do it in parks. They don´t even have bearings on theirs, they´re just plain crazy.

I agree - its much harder than they make it look.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:42:42 AM »
learned 5 ott in 3d. progression! thy name is mike!

Mr.D

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »
Just started 2d and got the shuffle, but no corrections yet...

Yesterday I managed a leg stall! (string on leg, one diabolo on each side)
 :-D
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

GuiZ

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:05:34 PM »
feed the sun 1-2...
The day came!I can do 3 diabolos!

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:24 AM »
School has started again and proper practice is back finally. Last weeks progress:

1D:

Jako´s integral.

40 or so new slacktricks and SS (actually more like 20 but learnt all of it leftie as well so that counts right ;))

Maybe 5 new integrals both ways on all except one so far.

Excalibur J-whip to lefthand geno.

Right gyro to 2-hand whip to normal.

Left gyro to whip to 2 hand whip to lefthand geno.

2D:

Slowcide swing to double left wrap. From that cool video from the little Finnish guys...I forgot the name of the video sorry :embarassed:.

Front-back 411

Side-side 411 to feeded antipirouette (from Williams schlageract).

312 Behind the head

Right sprinkler BTB-roll to exit BTB.

3D:

522* (Can´t go into it immediately though, requires some setup 42* first).

Combined hand-armstall.

Making headway on handstall-swinging suicide 3D start (from TND-video).

Loopdiabolo: Heartsuicides and crappy duicides to cross-handed, 1/3 trapeze (real name?) to 50/50-loop (real name?) suicides to alternate cross-handed, Trapeze and bro-looking slack, whips from below, Crossthrow to tangled heart, some other stuff that doesn´t have names.

pluto589

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:02:43 PM »
basic fan

Elkku

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »

Slowcide swing to double left wrap. From that cool video from the little Finnish guys...I forgot the name of the video sorry :embarassed:.

Do you mean "Juggling ember" or "some nice tricks"?  :)
Eljas

GuiZ

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
i , finnaly, got 2d open suns, cause before, i did it, but in one diabolo, always was a left wrap, but now i can do it easy and right...^^
also mini g, - 2D, wrapped, and a eiffel tower - 2D also..
^^

i think i'm learning 3D..yesterday i felt the 'beat'..
The day came!I can do 3 diabolos!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:43:07 PM »
3d hover start. 5 years of trying and 2 days ago I finally realized a few key things. Right away it started working and it's getting better very fast. Big props to Duncan and Jacob who both gave me useful tips and without whom I'd have cracked a decade for sure.

I think I can teach this to anyone who can do a hover wrap with 2 and hold 2d in one hand. I'll make a tutorial "The complete idiot's guide to hover starting 3d" when I get the time. Gosh, I certainly fall into that category.

yonm13

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »
Is it really that hard to understand?
Absolutely NOTHING Here.

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »

tactfull.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »
I think I can teach this to anyone who can do a hover wrap with 2 and hold 2d in one hand. I'll make a tutorial "The complete idiot's guide to hover starting 3d" when I get the time. Gosh, I certainly fall into that category.

if you do i will love you forever (not like i already don't ;))

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
Understand? No. But for those of us that just can't do it, no amount of understanding helps. Knowing what's supposed to happen is only part of it. For some people they stumble on it by chance. Others of us have years of ingrained habits that are hard to break. In those cases it helps to break it down in certain ways to get around those habits.

Believe me - I read: "Do it with 2 diabolos in that position and then add the 3rd. Keep practicing. Make the hand motions big and at the same pace as the 2d pattern underneath." I still couldn't get it. Year after year after year. I could tell you: 6 diabolos low - it's easy to understand - just keep the six diabolos evenly spaced with 2 on the string and 4 in the air at all times. There - now you can do it. Simple no?

OK, I'll say what did it for me and then add to it in a video later. Basically, I stood there pumping the 2d in my left hand as I normally would. Then while still pumping them and counting the rhythm in my head I let go of the 3rd diabolo. I keep those 2 sticks in my left hand and place my right hand on the right stick. Keeping both sticks also in my left hand. Then as I feel comfortable I separate my hands a bit and let go of the right stick with my left hand.

The trick here is that it's no different than doing 2d in one hand. Just add the 3rd and never stop driving them with the left hand and both sticks. Then slowly morph it into 2 hands doing the same thing. Start with both hands pumping away just like 2d in one hand. Then you can slowly do whatever you want with it once it's started.

yonm13

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
Woops.. bad post I suppose..
Anyways, i think it's something you have to get used to, it usually doesn't take too long to learn but you need to see someone doing it and get advices from someone who does it well.
I don't really remember the time when i learned it so i can't really tell, but i think the first steps came much faster than they did on the shuffle part, so it really gave me motivation to keep trying it untill i managed to do it "fine" (which is terrible comparing to how i do it now).. I've been using it all the time since then, so it only got better and better..
I think we've explained it pretty well on our 3D Tutorial (Tomer+me). Did you watch it?
Absolutely NOTHING Here.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
ok, so.. i HAVE actually learned things

3d wrap start- consistent
s-fan mastery (all exits and self inventions...)
continuos vortexi
a bunch of slack combos and such
infinite suicides (long time to get)
mini-genocides (likewise)
a bunch of new webs...
mixing up string and wraps in 2D ultra fun possibikities coming from manipulation
oooh. infinte slowcides
arm orbits(lol)
dodsons no-wrap fan entry/exit from bee natural(lovely)
and finally, a votw submission soon-to be

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
dodsons no-wrap fan entry/exit from bee natural(lovely)

Wow i didnt think anyone would actually take an interest in that lame trick.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal