Author Topic: Street performance: NO ONE STOPPED TO WATCH!  (Read 7113 times)

Pieter

• VotW Contributor
Street performance: NO ONE STOPPED TO WATCH!
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
Hi guys,
I have a question about street performance.
My friend and I went to a shopping street to perform.
We started both with 3 diabolos, I high and my friend low. ;)
So we hoped to attract people's attention. But no one stopped to watch! :-|
Then we started our act, with the same result: NO ONE STOPPED!!! :'(
My question is: What can we do to make people watch our "show"???
Tips anyone?!

Thanks Pieter

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Re: Street performance: NO ONE STOPPED TO WATCH!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:40:58 PM »
Ah thats a good question and somethinf I'm wondering about also. Hopefully the sharpes can give a good answer =)

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »
Did you try talking to anyone as they passed by? Told anyone "HEY, AMAZING SHOW ABOUT TO OCCUR NOT TO BE MISSED COME SEE"?

People will walk right on by until you grab a few to stick around, then the crowd grows from there.

Read this article. It has very good advice:
http://www.jugglingdb.com/compendium/performing/venues/streetshows/introduction.html

Arthur

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
Last summer i was in Vancouver Canada, and i saw several street preformers at granvill Island. There were 2 kinds: People who were making jokes, making people laugh, and continuously kept talking. These had lots of viewers. (and paying customers)
though the other kind of streetpreformer was the non-interacting-with-the-public kind of preformer. they also didn't have any viewers.

anyway; focus all the atention on yourself :)

Deviouscobra

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
Try getting the crowds attention with music, jokes etc. The crowd will most likely stop up, and you will have a lot more viewers. Try focusing the attention on you (like Arthur said), or the person who is doing the trick(s).

Hope that helps  :-D

Sincerely - Deviouscobra
Really?
Yeah, Really!

Richard

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »
I've done a lot of street performance and I think there are some pros and cons for doing diabolo.

Cons: diabolo isn't dangerous - people like to watch dangerous

Pros: Well, it's obvious isn't it? Diabolo is just the best thing going around :)

Professional street performers usually spend a LOT of their time trying to round people up by interacting with the crowd.  And then they usually try to keep them there by continuing to interact.

I performed with a friend once who was an amazing guitarist - we stopped a few people, with his playing and my diaboloing, however once he started YELLING out "Stop, this guy can do amazing tricks!!!!", a lot of people stopped to watch.

Another thing that almost always gets people to stop are high throws.  I normally used to just doing HEAPS of 2 high to attract people, then 1 and 2 low stuff as filler once I had their attention.

I hope this helps

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »
Like the others said, its all about interaction with the crowd and shouting. If you want to do diabolo you will probably get more attentin by using a noisy whistling diabolo or fire diabolo (if it's allowed on the streets). DO NOT just do tricks and not stare at people or else they wont think you are performing but just messing around. COSTUMES help a lot as they separate "street performers" from "that guy just wearing jeans". Music isnt entirely necessary but helps out a lot if you have it, as long as it doesnt interfere with your interaction with the crowd. The location you do it is also important, you want a place where people can see you from all directions and a place where a lot of people walk by.

Peoples attention spans are short, and they like danger or comedy. You could be doing the most insane juggling in the world and they wouldnt give a damn because they dont know it's that hard.

Also, assuming you have a hat out. Dont just have the hat on the floor. Make some  jokes about being broke, paying for college, etc that will remind people about the hat. Its also nice to have business cards or fliers to hand out that relate to your juggling if you want to increase your chance at getting hired for gigs.

Street performing is hard at first but you get used to it and eventually find the secrets to being successful at it. Good luck!
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

4leek24

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 03:01:36 AM »
i found that kids of any age think its cool, so see if you can find any kids to show your act to. usually their parents will watch with them, and you got several people. usually i perform at schools for fun, so its pretty easy to get a crowd going.

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »
A lot of good advice here already, but I'll chime in.

I've been performing in public for almost 20 years now. But street performing -- without a street festival or some other factor in my favor -- is something I never do. You've got to have no fear and thick skin. Highly technical skills mean nothing. Audience interaction is everything.

And if you want to make money you've got to make that very, very clear. And you've got to be aggressive about getting it.

That's not for me. But I have a real respect for people that do have the mojo for this and can grab a crowd's attention and spare change.

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
umm... if my dutch is right then you should put up a sign saying "Ik hou van vieze sokken" to attract peoples attention.
jokes, talk, comment peoples clothes, anything to get you in personal contact with the viewers. now im too lazy to search for it but i wrote a long comment on some street performance topic too. try go read it  ;) it might help  ;)

-Tipper
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Pieter

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:01 PM »
Thanks guys! :-D
I hope we have more succes the next time!!! :-D ;)

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
Move around lots and make eye contact then smile. Get people physically involved. People love it when I get 2d going with a stick in a small kids hand and one in mine. :D
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Simalacrum

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »
make lots of jokes, smile, interact with the crowd - when street performing, its less about the cool tricks and more about saying "hey, look at this, its COOL!"

Also, if your looking for money its also good to make jokes about that too.

Some good lines that I've heard that seem to work:

"we are not payed by the council, the government, or any other criminal organisation!"
"if you see my eyes bulge out and become big... yeah, thats called 'fear'."

etc etc.

Also, spontaneous jokes depending on situations work really well too - I once saw a puppy running across the blokes performing area and he started barking at it!

pietvansteen

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
Perhaps you could do something with fire, like a firediabolo. I think people are interested in spectacular things!
Finally here it is! F.U.N. http://youtu.be/JT9lBNemGJU

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal