Author Topic: Query bout an Old MB diabolo  (Read 4901 times)

Chiok

• Donator
Query bout an Old MB diabolo
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:09:05 PM »
I went along to an event during the Bath Fringe Festival that promised circus skills type activities (which meant alot of balloon modelling).  The guy pulled out all his kit (which was mostly random stuff) but I took a look at some of his diabolos and he had ones that resembled Henry's Circus in their size and shape with white plastic hubs.  I thought it might have been a Henry's but embossed on the rubber cups said Mister Babache.

They were obviously quite old and the rubber was starting to crack with wear and age which made me think they were quite old.  But I have no idea what they were.  Weren't bad to use either in terms of weight compared to their Harlequins.  Wonder why MB stopped them?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Spooned

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:18:46 PM »
Prehaps they were limited edition prototype G1's, but i dont know, ive never had MB stuff, ever.
Diabolo or Diablo

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »
Sounds like a Mr Babache Jumbo to me.  They were similar to the harlequins but in plain colours, as far as I remember.  Horrible heavy things, slow to speed up and the cups were too soft.  There'll still be loads of them about, I imagine.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 09:23:32 PM »
The thing is, that it wasn't as long as a harlequin (which are quite long) nor as heavy I don't think.  Could have been though, shame a can't find a picture of one.  Did take a while to speed up though,

Spooned - no, they weren't finesses, the cups were a similar shape to normal diabolos.

Chiok

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 02:14:27 AM »
Sounds like my first diabolo. It's not with me at the moment or I'd take a picture. Babache has gone through A LOT of designs in the time the Circus has been existence.

Mine wasn't anything fantastic. Get it spinning too quickly and it wobbles out of control. I believe the axle is flat too - not curved like most current axles.

Vojtas

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 06:25:29 AM »
Quote from: xfirebladex
Spooned - no, they weren't finesses, the cups were a similar shape to normal diabolos.

So Finesses aren't normal diabolos?
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 07:55:12 AM »
just look at the shape of em. most diabolos are a cup shape that is consistent, i.e. like a parabola...the finesse has a little bend in it

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 05:41:12 PM »
Yep, certainly sounds like a Mister Babache jumbo to me.  Flat, narrow axle with white hubs.  For a long time, these were the only "full size" diabolo worth bothering with (they started making the Harlequins in 1993, I seem to remember).  They pre-date both Henrys and Renegades too.

They even used to have mould numbers on the edge of the cups (JD1 - JD4) so if you wanted a second one you could get a perfect match.  Not that there were many folk even doing two back then.....

Donald
(oracle of prehistoric diabolo-related malarky) :)

GbH

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 06:53:56 PM »
This sounds like my very first ever diabolo, which I got in 1988.  Back then, they were sold under the name Jumbo Swiss.  My original one has the JD2 mark, but nothing else.  It was only later that year that I purchased my second, which was pretty much identical, but looking at it now, I see the Mister Babache name was included.

Weirdly, the axle on the original one started to wear out over time, leaving a big 'U' shaped indentation all around the edge (I guess I must have been practicing or something...).  The later ones didn't seem to do this.  It used to be great for 2d suns, as the sun motion was enough to keep it spinning.

BTW, has anyone still use the Dube diabolos?  People used to really love those things...

Guy

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 09:19:17 PM »
Ah, it did have a number printed on it's cup. Must have been it I guess.  God knows how long that guy had those diabolos as well as the rest of his really old kit (some clubs that had seen better days, and some had obviously been lost along the way).  It's good to have people in the know.

And a Dubé diabolo eh? photo anybody?

Chiok

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:25:55 PM »

A Google image search for "dube diabolo" yields the following:

Bang on again. Thanks google.

GbH

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 10:08:38 PM »
Quote from: Sean

A Google image search for "dube diabolo" yields the following:

Bang on again. Thanks google.

No, nice pic, but that's not it.  The Dubé was a rubber cup diabolo that was, from what I remember, a similar size to a Henrys Jazz.  I only ever remember seeing white ones.  Apparently, they were very well balanced and much prized.  I seem to recall that they were expensive, too.  By the time I'd thought about getting one, they'd stopped selling them.

Jester

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 09:17:44 AM »
I found that pic a while ago its been my computer background for a while,
it freaks people out
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 11:22:06 AM »
An amazing trick the string climb isn't it...  I wonder what made up a performance back in those days when things were just starting out.  Those things look huge though.

Chiok

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal