Author Topic: Diabolo.ca - An english Jongle.net?  (Read 11146 times)

Vojtas

Diabolo.ca - An english Jongle.net?
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:16:22 AM »
Just got that idea: What if we (Sean) will add new forums to the diabolo.ca forum? I mean there should be Diabolo, Juggling (Clubs, Balls, Rings,...), Pois and fireshow, eventually Unicycle etc. I think, there is no english forum which looks like jongle.net forums and thats a pity, because there isn't everybody speaking french. What do you think?

If you need volunteers for moderatoring this debates, I'm here  :)
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

JiBe

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:22:32 AM »
You'll get flamed by rec.juggling die-hard aficionados. Don't even think of advertising there :-)

Honestly, I don't think it will really work. Stick to the diabolo, don't think too big. Jongle.net works fine because it is limited to France, and because it's almost the only place to talk about juggling in French. We don't get that many people from all the other french speaking countries.

JiBe

Will^

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:26:57 AM »
I still think its a good idea to broarden this forum out a little bit, even if its still about diabolos and split into subsections, like support, equipment, videos. Makes everything much easier to find.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:07:37 AM »
Well said, JiBe.  We should definitely stick to diabolo here.

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:34:44 AM »
Some of us are jugglers, some of us are performers, and some of us are musicians or even sientists. We migth all of us want to talk about other things than diabolo once in a while. But I dont think this is the rigth place for these discussions. rec.juggling is the place to talk juggling, performers.net where you talk street, and im sure there already are forums "out there" dedicated to most toppics you can think of... I think this forum is great because the toppics we are discussing is quiet narrow.
However i think that it would be a good idea to divide this forum into sub categories since it seems we get more and more posts every day.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:32:05 AM »
Again, agreed with JiBe unfortunately Shadow.  Jongle is how Jongle is because it is pretty much the only comprehensive forum for juggling in general.  Before Diabolo.ca, rec.juggling used to get occasional posts about diabolo but the help wasn't always there.  Here, there are seasoned experts who read and post frequently so you can get the answers you need.  I post on rec.juggling for all my other juggling needs and also if I wanna talk about random inane banter that someone else started off on.

And I'm not so sure whether splitting the forum up would be good.  On the other forums I frequent, if you split things up, most of the time people stick to one section and other posts in other areas don't get the look in that they might deserve.  Posts are increasing quite a bit I'll agree, but I think the moderators do a good job to try and keep posts sensible so there isn't constant repetition of info.  This forum is gonna one day probably be the most comprehensive source of diabolo around (for english speakers anyway).  Just wish I had thought of it...

Chiok
(not ranting, was a worthwhile thought)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

martijn

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 11:05:02 AM »
I don't have anything to add, I totally agree with you JiBe. Jongle.net is just totally different. This forum should only be for diabolo, so you only have diabolists on the forum, and not jugglers and devilstickers, etc. Let's keep this forum focused on diabolo, for all your questions and videos, and other stuff you do on a forum :) rec.juggling will cover the rest.

Splitting the forum in categories shouldn't be done, I think. It's fine like the way it is now. First of all it's going to be a lot of work to move all the excisting threads to their category, and after that it will be even more work if people are going to post in the wrong category! :wink:

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 01:31:57 PM »
I agree with what's been said. A forum is successful if it fills a niche that is not supported elsewhere. This forum has been successful because there was no other easily accessible English speaking forum where diabolo topics where frequently covered. Jongle.net has been successful because it supports the rather large contingent of French speaking jugglers (or as JiBe pointed out - mostly jugglers from France). It's almost the French rec.juggling, but in a different format and moderated. (And generally full of less junk. :) )

In terms of categories: I still think of that from time to time. It's not a problem to keep track of what's happening if you check the forum once or twice a day, but if you check the forum less often then the number of new messages can seem overwhelming. Still, the forum has been quite successful in its current format and there's a lot to be said for keeping all the messages in one section. There would be a lot of work to switch to a multi-section format at this point, so I don't expect we'll do that unless there's more wide-spread agreement that it would be best for the forum. Do keep in mind that other successful forums such as the diabolo section of Jongle.net are not categorized any more than the broad category "diabolo" either.

Speaking of this kind of thing, I think it's lovely that this forum and Jongle.net(diabolo) can co-exist because they generally cater to a different group of people. Even better is the overlap or connection we get between the two forums because of some of the bilingual people who post and read on both. I think that in general we have enhanced the world of diabolo instead of dividing it, which is exactly what we set out to do.

Aww... isn't this heart warming? And with that I, CEO of Diabolo.ca, conclude our quarterly business report. :roll:

Oh, and within a couple months we'll be celebrating our 10,000th post. I'll crack out the champagne, the party's going to be good: mark it down on your calender. :)

Arjan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »
I don`t have anything to say.. well... back in the days when Sean was talking to me about a possible English diabolo forum, we didn`t think it would be what it is today.
The thought of making it a juggeling forum in general never crossed my mind, better don`t do that I think.

Ow btw... I`ll be celebrating that party to Sean!

Juggling_Arcs

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 06:58:49 PM »
I agree with what Sean said about the niche, this forum fills it purpose wonderfully and I think (my opinion) that for juggling and other hobbys like it have most of the forums they need in english on sites like
www.jugglingdb.com
www.theyo.com
www.contactjuggling.com
www.unicyclist.com
www.homeofpoi.com
www.footbag.com
and to have them on this site would be kinda pointless(just my thought on it).

As for splitting the forum up I am not sure, to a point it might be good, but I really don't have much problem the way it is.

Juggling_Arcs (whoa, I am ranting
 :roll: )
If at first you don't succeed, Sky Diving is not for you.

No luck involved it was all skill... or absence there of.

fredo

Re: Diabolo.ca - An english Jongle.net?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 07:00:39 PM »
as i went pretty offtopic here, i came to the conclusion, that it would be nice to have a juggling forum as well - as i want to talk with this community about it (be honest, it's one of the best in the world ;)).

no chance to get an extra forum for juggling?

martijn

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 10:42:07 PM »
At first... I was really against it, to have juggling and other forms of object manipulation on here... but you make a really good point Fredo, this community is awesome, and discussing stuff other than diabolo with you guys is definitely a lot of fun. So perhaps we can make an "Off-topic forum" to start with. We have a offtopic forum at the Dutch Diastylo forum, and it works quite well I think (www.ekoster.nl/diastylo.nl/smf).

nev

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 11:16:45 PM »
there are already other English speaking juggling sites - this forum is special because of the fact its just diabolo.

Dont forget "jongle" = juggle - "diabolo" = you work it out!
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 09:15:38 AM »
I think both of the above posts are valid arguaments. If we decided to have an offtopic forum we could have a juggling sub-forum in it. Diabolo would still be the main focus of the forum and it would keep anyone who wanted to discuss juggling happy.
Behind your back is your front.

fredo

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 11:05:02 AM »
Oh yes, make me happy please!  :D

Domi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 06:09:35 PM »
I agree with Fredo
It would be nice wath guppygould says
i think
domi

martijn

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
Sean, care to try it out? (he's the one who can create subforums etc.)

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
this is brought up again? jeez.

i think we should have ONE offtopic section. that's it. it will be called "Offtopic Discussion" and feature everything not related to diabolo. EVERYTHING. if you wanna talk about juggling, do it. if you want to talk about your cat, do it. if you want to talk about baseball, do it. there doesn't need to be a giant offtopic section, don't want it to take over the forum...

martijn

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 10:27:51 PM »
Yes, that's what I mean Matt.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 07:37:01 AM »
ok, good :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal