Author Topic: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009  (Read 47119 times)

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
Re: Diabolo.ca Collaboration Video 2009
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
Yes Jesse... why didn't you travel thousands of miles to visit these people and force them to submit something.... Why?! Editing the Collab is about making an effort and sacrifices!!

;)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

zaximax

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »
AAA
 :o :o :o O:

nutt531

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
 The good tricks in this video are insane ( like the 2D arm combo of arjan , the "WTF" of looby ,the incredible combo of sergej ... )but I personnally think that the video is so long and im a bit disappointed of some tricks in there ...

Thomas

Diabolo Dodson

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »
Good collab, but im kinda disapointed, why arent me, chris, crackers or dodson in this video? How can a guy who is making star cradle come in the video when other creative people cant?  :-|
I was injured around the time, i could barely hold my sticks and by the time i recovered i was unable to do the tricks i wanted anymore. Ill submit something next year i promise  ;)

bearges-[}{]

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
Good collab, but im kinda disapointed, why arent me, chris, crackers or dodson in this video? How can a guy who is making star cradle come in the video when other creative people cant?  :-|
lol, maybe there were no room for the other creative people: the video is really big.
and the scenarios and quality counts maybe?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
I personnally think that the video is so long and im a bit disappointed of some tricks in there
Hopefully that is just a bit lost in translation, but what are you talking about? How did some of the tricks "disappoint" you? And remind me why are you complaining?

The 8 guarantees of every collab video:
1. It will take a lot longer than the editor thinks it will... even though we've got the whole process more and more streamlined over the years. I don't think anyone fully appreciates the size of the undertaking until they've done it themselves. Welcome Jesse.
2. Most people will be incredibly grateful (thank you) and declare it the "best thing ever"... until next year that is. ;)
3. The video quality will get better as technology improves and cheapens and people send in better quality clips. Plus, every year we learn something more about combining different aspect ratios, frame sizes, and interlaced field orders.
4. Usually someone's name will get misspelt. The editor's heart will sink and he will debate the long process of re-rendering.
5. Someone will ask "why isn't that-awesome-diaboloist-who-needs-to-be-in-there in the video?" Because he/she didn't send anything in, that's why.
6. Someone will complain "why didn't my trick make it in when that other one did?" Because the editor had to make some very hard decisions about what to include based on both video quality and content. The editor was only able to use a fraction of the clips he received and is also considering the next point:
7. Someone will complain "it's too long", "why didn't you take out all those clips that I didn't like?" Because (1) see the previous point, (2) the idea is that this is an inclusive a project as possible made by as many people as possible, (3) not every trick has to be earth shattering, and (4) note the emphasis on the I in "I didn't like".
8. Those of us that invested copious amounts of time into putting the project together will get all riled up by such comments and post replies like "The 8 guarantees of every collab video". :) That is all.

bums3n

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »
Umm no one who did just a cradle is in the video. Crackers and Dodson never sent anything. What are you talking about?
Im talking about that you only had put people which is known in the diabolo world in the collab, try something new  :o
Everytime you read this, i have a new good 3d attempt.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
Oh, our bad. Next year we'll make sure to magically include clips of people that were never submitted. [nb]Plus, may I direct you to points 6 & 7 in my above post?[/nb]

Jesse, shame on you. [nb]Actually, I was amazed at how many new faces we saw in this video that weren't in previous collab videos.[/nb]

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
A Fantastic selection of points there.
The Turbo videos were my first attempt at something collaborative. All those different cameras and formats and shapes and ARGH!! (thank toast for having an AMAZING convert-everything-in-the-world-to-one-format-freely-imported-straight-into-FCP-without-needing-of-renderage)
Then when everything was together in one place, choosing what works and what doesnt and for the music and which angles look to similar. All these things which are much easier when it's just your video - because you take the time to variate, and to find nice places and frame well and everything - then when you receive everything from other people and it's just not the same.
In the process, some things get left out. And with no intention, I actually left out ALL the clips from one person, some of which were really good. I just never found a place to put any, they just didn't fit. Then i got to the end and oops!
Turns out I have enough clips left over to make another probably 3 minute video*
It happens.

Norbi - who will hopefully be included again in a future collab
---------------------------------
*which I won't

martijn

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Norbi - who will hopefully be included again in a future collab

I have to ask. Did you submit this year?

On a different note, I'm thinking of taking up the task of editing next year's collab, this video got me all excited again :)

looby

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
Im talking about that you only had put people which is known in the diabolo world in the collab, try something new  :o

I love how there's always one that turns something sweet, sour.

In all seriousness, I'd be interested to see your contribution and give you a critical opinion on why it wasn't included.  Until then, quit flogging a dead horse, Jesse includes what he feels makes the video complete, he alone looks at the overall composition of the piece, we aren't to know how effectively one piece will fit in during the editing process until we see the finished article.

Infact, just read what Sean and Norbi said.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

nutt531

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »
Hopefully that is just a bit lost in translation, but what are you talking about? How did some of the tricks "disappoint" you? And remind me why are you complaining?

The 8 guarantees of every collab video:
1. It will take a lot longer than the editor thinks it will... even though we've got the whole process more and more streamlined over the years. I don't think anyone fully appreciates the size of the undertaking until they've done it themselves. Welcome Jesse.
2. Most people will be incredibly grateful (thank you) and declare it the "best thing ever"... until next year that is. ;)
3. The video quality will get better as technology improves and cheapens and people send in better quality clips. Plus, every year we learn something more about combining different aspect ratios, frame sizes, and interlaced field orders.
4. Usually someone's name will get misspelt. The editor's heart will sink and he will debate the long process of re-rendering.
5. Someone will ask "why isn't that-awesome-diaboloist-who-needs-to-be-in-there in the video?" Because he/she didn't send anything in, that's why.
6. Someone will complain "why didn't my trick make it in when that other one did?" Because the editor had to make some very hard decisions about what to include based on both video quality and content. The editor was only able to use a fraction of the clips he received and is also considering the next point:
7. Someone will complain "it's too long", "why didn't you take out all those clips that I didn't like?" Because (1) see the previous point, (2) the idea is that this is an inclusive a project as possible made by as many people as possible, (3) not every trick has to be earth shattering, and (4) note the emphasis on the I in "I didn't like".
8. Those of us that invested copious amounts of time into putting the project together will get all riled up by such comments and post replies like "The 8 guarantees of every collab video". :) That is all.
I say im a bit disappointed by some tricks because the collab of the last year was more (selective?) and I think some tricks in this (that im not going to quote) were a bit " déja vue " .
Thomas

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »
Ah, well that's probably because the point of the collaboration videos isn't for everything to be "new" or "never-seen-before". For the most part, that's the purpose of the videos of the week. The collaboration video is about creating an entertaining high quality diabolo video with as much worldwide community participation as possible. Hence the emphasis on lots of people, interesting filming locations, and high quality video. I think it's pretty obvious that some of the clips feature tricks that we have all seen before. But, are they filmed interestingly or in an interesting place? Is the quality of the video high? Are they performed cleanly? Are they reasonably challenging or conversely perhaps they are easy but creative? These are the kinds of questions that are asked.

Do note the irony that that there are two separate debates going on here. One from a person who thinks we should have included more and another from someone who thinks we should have included less. And then you start seeing the fine balancing act that the editor has to perform. In different years we have deviated slightly to one side or the other, but I hope we can all appreciate that a decision has to be made and no matter what the decision some people are going to wish it was more to one side or the other. I think all the previous videos (and definitely including this one) have found a balance that is very much within reason.

Anyways, this is all much less interesting than comments directly related to the video.

I hope to make a subtitle file sometime soon. In the meantime, I'll say that Ken, your exit stage left cracks me up every time. Damn I wish I'd managed to meet you in London.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2009, 06:48:21 PM »
To the people complaining about my choices. You have no idea how many clips I had to go through and you have no idea what they had in them. Just read Sean's points.

bums3n, I have saved all my collaboration emails in which I explained why I didn't use your clip and you replied saying that you understand. I don't know why you are complaining now.

I don't want this to turn into a massive debate, so I'll stop here. I too love Ken's exit. The whole clip is pure gold!

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
From Diabolotreff:
''In Diabolo.ca meinten sie doch sie müssten auf unser "We love you" antworten....ist ihnen nicht gelungen.''

My Deutsch isn't that good, but if I am correct we should have answered their ''We love you d.ca''.  :P

It made me smile :)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

nutt531

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2009, 07:28:28 PM »
Oh ! I just say what Im thinking and I respect very much your work Jesse . Its a nice video and you choice exactly what you want but my opinion stay the same and the topic video is made for comments .
Sorry if you dont understand my poor english
Thomas

looby

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
After a rewatch, this years trick of the video has to be 11:38....Arjan that is bloody lovely
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Janey

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
marijn :D nice post^^
a answer to the "we love you" would be awesome.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »
Jesse, is your clip at 11:50 filmed outside one of the residences at UBC?

With regards to the stairs (subtitles file), no, those are different stairs at a different University from that old walking down the stairs clip in a video I did.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
Great video all around.  I think these videos will provide snapshots of each year in diabolo, giving a great look into the evolution of diabolo years from now.  Arjan, it's great to see the stuff that's coming out of your work at school (I assume).  I wish more people would focus on diabolo at circus schools, there's so much more out there!  Jesse, good work on the massive editing job.

Also, to settle the MA/UK debate, the Sharpe Brothers are in Cambridge, UK for the year attending Cambridge University.  We grew up in MA.  My clip was filmed in Cambridge, UK, and the double string sprinkler was actually filmed in Stavanger, Norway.

-Nate
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal