Author Topic: "Moments"  (Read 5541 times)

-Felix-

"Moments"
« on: January 06, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
Hey guys.
The following video isn't one as all my other ones. It's a video covering not only diabolo but also the feelings I have when playing diabolo. This may sound funny, but it's these moments that describe what diaboloing is for me. Don't expect any hard diabolo stuff. Just sit down an relax an tell me if you get what I mean,  tell me what you think of the idea of the video...because I'm really interrested in your opinions:

Moments

Moments

Thanks...Felix.
Check out my my YouTube channel please, tutorials for diabolotutorials.de.vu:  http://www.youtube.com/user/theinstinktives

Not Skilled Yet

Re: "Moments"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »
Good, decent stuff, but it would have been better without the long walking thing.
fluffy kitty

Dillon

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:32:33 PM »
Unfortunately, I think your intent for the video did not reach me.
It seemed like a diabolo video, like all the ones people submit on this forum, but you don't explain how diaboloing connects to you or what it means to you in the video.
Although it was well done (I liked the water on the camera and the view of the grass poking up from the snow and all), I think you might need to insert words, your voice, or visuals that connect diabolo to you, because I only saw diabolo.
But then again, if your intent was to show how you relate to nature and are down to earth you might have succeeded, but it took me awhile to get that if it is actually true.
d

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
I'm not really sure how that got across the feelings you get when you diabolo, it just seemed to me to be some tricks, some repetative shots and some random scenery thrown in to boot. Having said that I did watch it the whole way through which I don't often these days, that may have been because of the music which was an excellent choice, parts of the integral combos were nice as well. I also think that you may have included to many vertax shots.

If you could please explain what you mean when you say 'its these moments that descrive what diaboloing is for me' that would be great, cos in my mind watching someone enjoy their diabolo is that, not as I say random shots seemingly put in as filler. Unless of course I'm missing something and diabolo for you is lots of walking through snow looking like you are about to mug some old lady!

jamzjazz

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »
I may get you but i will make a fool of myself trying to explain it properly. What i get from this is that when you film diabolo it takes you to places you wouldn't usually go and you get to see things differently when you're searching for places to film as you look harder. Then when things come together like tricks going smoothly and you don't get annoyed with them when they go wrong that's when i can never see myself giving it up. The reason i like this video is because it takes me back to all those times. I do agree with hath however a little less vertax would have been better.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:19 AM »
I applaud any attempt to create something beyond the status quo. To try something a bit different. It kept my attention to the end as well, and I think it had to do with the whole package, not just the music. As for the "it needs an explanation" argument: isn't the point of (much modern) art that you can interpret it however you'd like? It would kind of kill it if it had subtitles or voice over stating "This is what I feel here, do you see it? Do you?". Then again I doubt people would have made the point at all if it weren't for the written build up in your first post.

So, I'd say, keep creating videos that are more than a string of tricks filmed uninterestingly and strung together. Try your best to get a point across. Not everyone will get it, but that's fine and that's art. You'll get better at it with time too.

If I could make one point of constructive criticism, to me it felt like you were trying all sorts of interesting filming ideas but then when it came to a diabolo trick, you just shot it. You set up the tripod at eye height and shot it dead on. Those stood out to me. Try different angles, different perspectives, motion, lighting, whatever... don't let any of it become the same stuff and the same angle we've seen before.

...lots of walking through snow looking like you are about to mug some old lady!
That made me smile.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:39 AM »
I don't care whether I got how you feel  when you diabolo or not, that was better than 99% of diabolo videos I see these days. Ok some of the shots were a bit random, but at least you put some more thought to it than people usually do and I think it worked well. Loved the shot with the water on the lense. Your tricks are really smooth too and I really like your style.

Good work Felix!

-Felix-

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
Ok, I´m happy about all the answers and I´m goint to try to cover this im my own words. As Sean said...If you watch the video there is no rule how to interpret it, what feelings you have watchin it is a completely personal thing. Because everybody has got own impressions what diaboloing is about for him/her. And yes thats exactly what I wanted, thanks for mentioning that Sean. So now, how Hathaway requested here is my own interpretation:

Just imagine, you know I´m in school all day, many lessons all week, tests. All in all everything is really stressfull. But the diabolo is something that takes my mind away from all stress, when I play the diabolo I dont think about school and all the other stuff. I go out, into the nature, fresh air and I feel good. It´s not to be able to do the hardest combo or trick. Its just the feelings I have when playing diabolo, when I success new trick. And I suddenly think about other things, things that haven´t a place in all day live. For example I think about Films, and I get Ideas, about stories,.... And thats exactly what I wanted to express with the video.

But again, It´s up to you to get own impressions.
Hope everything is ok to undestand.
Cause I´m not english.
Check out my my YouTube channel please, tutorials for diabolotutorials.de.vu:  http://www.youtube.com/user/theinstinktives

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:16 AM »
Hope everything is ok to undestand.
Cause I´m not english.
Very easy to understand, if it isn't your first language then you have very good English!

I feel however that I would not have got the feelings that you were trying to convey without you telling me like you have just then. Also don't go thinking that I thought it was completley awful or anything, you asked for honest opinions and I was giving mine!

Sean I much prefer this sort of video to just hardcore tricks (although sometimes not the case(finnish?)) I think that shows in a couple of the videos Toby and I have made where we did try to do something different as well.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
I can understand where you are coming from.

For me, I just really enjoyed the way you captured the winter scenery / nature etc, switching to diabolo and then back again. Very artistic indeed, well done.

martijn

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »
I think you're awesome for doing this. I have to be honest and say that the video could've been better on a fair amount of points, but at least you've got the guts to try it! Keep going with it and you'll rock my world  :-*

Mark

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
very nice ;)

Mark.

Richard

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
I think you might need to insert words, your voice, or visuals that connect diabolo to you, because I only saw diabolo.

I totally disagree - I think putting stuff like that over something like this would ruin it.  I really liked the smooth, cruisy feel of this video - personally I prefer more actual diabolo and less 'other' stuff, but I think this video was great!!!  Well done :)

Jasper

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
nice vid but i think your filming not good (many times i dont see what your doing:()

Janey

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »
nice vid but i think your filming not good (many times i dont see what your doing:()

i dont think so....

i like the video! and i like your moments. some nice tricks, too.

Nico

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
I think this video is definitely a must see!
The music is really inspiring and makes us feel that diabolo is something deep for you. Try to make people feel this is difficult and it s good to  see people attempt to do this. Your video as your own identity and I definetely prefer something with a real story like this than pure trick madness during 5minuts (which of course i would be unable to do !). Even though you have some great tricks in it also!
Of course, editing could still be better, play more on contrasts and colors, less motion with the camera, more angles, more scenery etc... but I m really looking forward for your next videos cause there's a real artistic potential about it and that s what diabolo is all about!
Keep on!

Matias

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
like the video, the video was calm so its nice to watch so that you dont have the hole video with only tricks. waiting to see 3d working for you

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
Very moody.  I liked the feeling I got.  I didn't really know what you were trying to convey, but that's fine.  I don't usually try to understand the meaning behind artwork.  I just know that this is mighty fine artwork!

-Jason

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal