Author Topic: Circus Too Heavy For Whip/Snap/Thrust Spin-up?  (Read 2157 times)

D1@B0L1C@L

Circus Too Heavy For Whip/Snap/Thrust Spin-up?
« on: January 15, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
When I try the more aggressive techniques of adding spin to my circus diabolo, it almost feels like the string is going to snap. How do you other circus users get good spin? Right now, the only way for me to get any decent spin is to spend 10 to 15 seconds doing power pulls with a wrap on the axle. By the way, I'm using Henry's orange string and carbon fibre sticks and I'm only in my first week of diabolo play. Should I try the more aggressive techniques? I'm just worried about taking out any windows or small children etc.

I searched the forum for info on this, but I could find nothing.

bourgeois.jason

Re: Circus Too Heavy For Whip/Snap/Thrust Spin-up?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
I would recommend that you stick to some less aggressive wrapped accelerations for a while.  The secret to whip accelerations is a smooth motion.  You need to focus on keeping the string tight or else it will wrap around the diabolo.  Also, if you do it right, there should be minimum shock to the string.

It is true, however, that Circuses are among the heavier of diabolos, but many people use diabolos of the same weight.  I prefer a lighter one, like Finesse.  When I use my Circuses, my forearms quickly get tired.

-Jason

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:35:13 PM »
Pretty much all the main diabolos are around the weight of a circus. Some are heavier, some are lighter, but usually not by much. If you have the original metal hubs on your circuses, then they are probably on the heavier side, but again, not by much. It's worth investing in some plastic (commonly referred to by the acronym POM) hubs. Any of the styles will do. Normal width or the all-around versions are most popular. The plastic hubs take weight away from the axle (where it isn't increasing rotational inertia much), and most importantly, are smoother on the string.

So, there's nothing strange about your set up. Yes, the main way to get decent spin is with a wrap. Most typical would be either the circular orbit accelerations or the Chinese whips (up and down whipping). It sounds like you aren't dampening the ends of the whip sufficiently with your technique. With the Chinese whip you can either actively move your non-dominant hand in a sort of wave like motion (see the girls in Cirque du Soleil for example) or you can let that hand go completely limp and flail around as needed. You can be quite aggressive without needing to have sudden jerking points at the top and bottom. If you think about this while you practice I'll bet it will come naturally with time. Or work on the circular orbit accelerations. Those are inherently smoother.

Edit - Jason snuck in there while I was posting. I agree. I'd just point out that with plastic hubs Circuses are around the weight of most Finesse models... probably just a tiny bit heavier, I can't remember. With plastic washers they are lighter. Regardless, there are commonly used diabolos that are 30 or 40 grams heavier still (Yohos). You get used to whatever you use. So, it's not the weight, it's your technique. ;)

Oh, and don't forget:
http://diabolo.ca/wraps-friction-and-pain/

D1@B0L1C@L

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
Guys, thanks for all of the great advice and information. I'll definitely work on my technique and an axle tuning kit is definitely in my future.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal