Author Topic: Standard 2 diabolo sun  (Read 17213 times)

Paul

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:41:58 AM »
I have a good grasp of a lot of 2 diabolo tricks but for some reason a sun in anyformat just doesnt work. Lets say a simple sun to the left (for righties). It always finishes with a wrap on one diabolo while the other is free. I always have to magic knot back into a shuffle!!!! Very frustrating!

Has anyone got any ideas on where it all goes wrong?
Peace

seán_

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 03:02:11 AM »
Some people find the right side sun easier but I find the left one easier.

I send my right hand to the left to allow me to drive the diabolo which has just landed which forces the diabolo already on the string throught the sun. I keep the sticks fairly close together and in line and sometimes turn a bit to face the trick.

I think the wrap might be due to you getting out of line. (not too sure though)
but when I want to get into a frontwrap from a sun thats what it feels like to me. (could be a timing thing as well. see how much help I am ;) )

Seán_

Sean

• Administrator
Re: [Trick] Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 03:17:39 AM »
Quote from: Paul
I have a good grasp of a lot of 2 diabolo tricks but for some reason a sun in anyformat just doesnt work. ... Very frustrating!

Welcome to my life! I have come to believe that I am physically incapable to sunning well with two diabolos. :roll:

It's just not natural for me. I was doing triple sprinkler suicides before I got my first 2 diabolo sun. I still can't do proper continuous 2 diabolo suns where the diabolos switch position on each rotation. Hopefully you are endowed with better 2 diabolo sun genetics than me!  :wink:

It took me about 6 months of work to learn the two diabolo sun (I know, I know... that's very sad). I had the exact same problem as you. Basically, you're only sending one diabolo through your arms. I seem to remember that for a left sun I had to think about getting my right hand on the left side of my left hand and keeping it all aligned.... I feel your pain... you'll get it!

Sean

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 10:24:47 AM »
Hello,

I find the sun on the left side easier as well, i know there are two different ways to do it, the way Sean_ (sorry dunno how to get that accent on my keyboard!) does it by driving with the right, or there is the other way which is pulling up with the left, i find it much easier to pull up with the left and lead the diabolo in front with the left hand stick by making a small circle with my left hand stick bring both diabolos around. When i'm sunning i always feel that my left hand is always in control of the whole movement.

Also try sunning straight after a back wrap, with the back wraped diabolo leading, you should find enough momentum to complete a sun quite easily.

But i also had the problem of one diabolo dropping between my arms when i was learing but you will over come it eventually! And no i can do the suns i can't get one front wrapped on purpose!

As for continuous suns, the timing is a little strange but once you get used to it feels natural, after completing one sun i find that i just stop every thing and don't move either sticks and just wait for the diabolos to switch places on their own and as soon as they land again i continue into the next sun, once you get more confident you will find that you hardly even need to stop before the diabolos have switched place and you can go straight into the next sun.

Hopes this helps everyone!

Matt P

Paul

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 10:57:51 AM »
Cheers guys. Im gonna genetically modify myself and try again!!! Weird thing is the first 2 times i ever tried it i pulled it off perfectly............... That was 3 months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 01:32:19 PM »
BOTH diabolos (especially the following diab) MUST go all the way past both stick and through your arms. If one diabolo drops before the stick it will be wrapped, if both diabs drop before the stick, you'll be in sprinkler, if the first does but the second doesnt then you'll get a cool short sprinkler into frontwrap.

i hope that help, a bit

Paul

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 02:10:14 PM »
That short sprinkle business is what usually happens to me and its a wicked trick in its own right. I think i see whats a goin on now. Cheers Norbi
Peace

barnesy

• Administrator
Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 02:14:35 PM »
I learned suns by practicing the trick with one diabolo a lot, making sure that both diabolos went all the way over between my hands, and that everything stayed in one plane.   It also helps to move to the side.  Suns where you stay facing forwards are nice, but not so easy until you have them solid.

Suns were one of the first tricks I tried to learn.  I ended up getting hyperloops instead, for the reason Norbi mentioned.  If you go round both hands, you get a sun, but if you don't make the sun go round your left hand, you drop into a hyperloop (No, I won't call them sprinklers!).  That's a really easy hyperloop to get out of too - it just falls out if you  raise the left and lower the right hand.  When I did get suns working properly, it took me ages to relearn hyperloops.

Another trick that may help with learning suns:  walk clockwise (start walking to the left) around the shuffle, keeping the ends of the sticks in line all the way.  When you get back where you started, the string will be twisted.  You can undo that by doing a sun in front of you.  That's maybe the easiest sun, and hopefully gives you a feel for the push you need to give the diabolos.

Edit - Oops, I managed to set off another trick names argument with that post.  That's already been covered in this thread: http://www.diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=10 so I've merged those replies into that thread so this thread can stay on its original topic.

Paul

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 07:47:08 PM »
Cheers for all the info guys. i got suns nailed now. i can even hit three in a row!!!!! Gonna work some more variations into them I think. I dont get what all the fuss was about really!!!!!!!!

Strange because it seems sooo simple now!
Peace

Arjan

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 09:54:18 PM »
Yeah, it should be simple!  :wink:

lemony

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 10:05:43 PM »
I just spent today learning this trick and two things which i've found to be key:

1.) you need to be smooth rather than trying to snatch at the sun, if you try and finish to quickly you'll find that one or other diabolo drops short and eith falls off the string or finishes with a left hand backwrap.

2.) Don't push the diabolos away from you too hard as i find they tend to come back to you much lower and faster so it's harder to avoid the wrap. Again concentrate on being smooth and keeping the sun in the plane.

don't know if that's at all helpful. I found that less strength and a larger, flowing movement were all it took to get suns so that i land 9 out of 10 now.
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Ed

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 10:47:20 AM »
I found the best way to do a sun is as soon has the following diabolo is about to touch the right part of the string, to drive down hard with your right hand and to pull with your left hand really quickly to complete the circle quickly.( my right hand follows the diabolos while it is happening)

Don't know if that was any help to anyone, or whearther you could understand it.

The Evil Genius

2 D suns
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 10:08:29 AM »
 Hey guys, I have just started learning 2 D tricks. Have just about got a backwrap, frontwrap, suicide and sprinkler suicide. I am trying to move on to suns, but am not getting very far  :? Each time I try, I end up getting a left hand backwrap around one of the diabolos. What is going wrong, could anyone give me a step by step instruction on 2 D suns? Also, what other 2 D trciks shouls I start working on? Any help would be much appreciated!

Alex

diabololi

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 10:38:49 AM »
I spent ages working on suns and gave up for about a month. After that they started working but I still don't really like doing them.

I reccomend trying to learn trapezes. Once you can do a right trapeze you can start learning over the leg- Put your leg over the string, throw the left one over your leg then unwrap the right one. I found this surprisingly easy.

Oli

ming

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 10:48:20 AM »
I'm gonna assume your trying a left sun between your arms and if your getting a backwrap it means one of the diabolos is falling between your stick instead of passing over both so what you need to do is pull down on your left stick as the first diabolo passes over it and make sure you drive the last diabolo too.
emmet

Mattias

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 04:20:37 PM »
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=76

there you have a 2d sun topic with the same initial question, so take a look there.

I have the same problem so cant help anymore than that im afraid. I sprinkler sun instead. comes easier ones you have a good speed-up technique.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

seán_

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 04:34:57 PM »
Thanks Mattias

On the sun front, some people (Matt_H and Barnesy) seem to favour the sun facing right bringing the diabolos up between the arms.
Facing the sun helped me when I was trying to learn multiple suns so maybe it would have helped me when I was learning  2d suns in the first place.

looby

• Donator
Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 07:48:46 PM »
whilst on the topic, should you put more emphasis on the hands moving around the diabolos or the diabolos moving around your hands, in a word. At the moment it sounds like I'm having the same problem as many others with the backwrap on the right diabolo (lefty) and havent had much luck over about 2 months of practicing them.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Sam

Need some help with 2 diabolo suns...
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 10:30:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have very recently decided to learn 2 diabolos. Now i have got the shuffle down pretty well and pretty much got the corrections down aswell. At the moment i havn't learnt any tricks but im trying to learn how to do a left sun (as you can probaly guess from the title  :) ).

I can swing both diabolos round and perform the sun but when i try and go back into the shuffle the string is always wrapped once around one of the diabolos axels.

Ive looked at loads of different vids on how to do them and i cant seem to work out what im doing wrong.

Any advise and tips would be greatly appriciated

Arjan

Standard 2 diabolo sun
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 10:56:17 PM »
Make sure both diabolo`s travel pass the tips of the sticks... when you don`t you make a sun to knot (into wrap transfert).

But, I`m sure if you would do some research, you will get some good info about this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal