Author Topic: Yo-yo tricks with diabolo  (Read 12548 times)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
Yo-yo tricks with diabolo
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
Okay so here's the deal. When some body calls diabolo slacks and eiffels "yo-yo tricks" they are horribly wrong. For instance try asking any yoyoer to do J-whip (underwhip). He won't know what you are talking about.  Yo-yo tricks and diabolo tricks are totally different thing. And you cannot do yo-yo tricks with diabolo like they are meant to do (talking about 1A style here).

The problem with slacks are that people aren't using their fingers enough. In 1a yoyo tricks people use their fingers a lot. In diabolo people limit them selves to only to sticks which could be compared to using only middle fingers in yoyoing. I've seen "double or nothing" done in http://www.diabolotricks.com/Yoyo.htm before. But that really doesn't work at all like double or nothing should work. You can get much more close to the real double or nothing. What helps usually is to think that the stick is our middle finger now you have at least forefinger and thumb free for the tricks.

But to take a trick from yo-yo to diabolo you need to understand some yo-yoing principles first. I have figured out some easy ones for you but please do discover more by yourself. And try those tricks out. If any questions on this i will try to answer. I have a hunch that Nick or Langerz have tried these out before so all the respect for them.

Here's a little tutorial on it:
Yoyo tricks with diabolo - tutorial

Alternative one for Vimeo users:
Yoyo tricks with diabolo - tutorial
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Indy

Re: Yo-yo tricks with diabolo
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »
First of all ''Who's making these rules man?' -Grind

I really like your tutorial 8)
The first spitscreen clip was 2nd watch worthy, because my eyes coudn't follow the two toys seperately ;)
I'm really into the 'yoyo'coverted tricks.
My double-or-nothing is simular to yours, but I just let the diabolo go around left stick instead of my indexfinger.
I think it's very good that you clarified that it's important to use your fingers with these tricks!
This way you get a much more authentic yoyo trick.

Thanks for the tutorial.
From now on I will use my finger more! ;)
epicness commits

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
Man, you just come here from time to time and nail it.
Always one of my inspirations!
Rooted diabolist.

Jax

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
Thanks man, perfectly done, just enough to get me going....

Jasper

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:27 AM »
tnx for the video, the double or nothing I already now but the other one...
 Never heard about it (A)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »
My double-or-nothing is simular to yours, but I just let the diabolo go around left stick instead of my indexfinger.
Yeah, using the end of stick as index finger is also good way to get it working.

Actually if someone wants to be really strict with the yoyotricks involved here they are:
Double or nothing is actually expanded to "the Matrix", http://yoyoexpert.com/learn/033-advanced-matrix.html
Houdini drop has the beginning of "Kamikaze" (1part), http://yoyoexpert.com/learn/080-expert-kamikaze.html
Hook is just the hook, http://yoyoexpert.com/learn/078-expert-hook.html

Thank you for encouraging comments.

Wis

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
Wow, amazing tutorial. The idea is great. And also the editing. I'm going to try them now. I was already playing around with slacks and similar stuff.
These "home-shoes" (don't know the word) are a Classic. I use the same ones.

"Marko out"? I was laughing a lot because i've only heard this on Californication
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Jasper

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
huh, your double or nothing looks very different from the one I learned :P
and is it right if i do double or nothing over my fingers that when you drop your rope you have to do a sun back to unwrap (if u understand what i mean)

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
slippers = win

this method means other yoyo stuff would work alot better and alot closer to the original trick itself like kwijibo and reverse kwijibo

lz

martijn

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
Woot! Awesome stuff Marko :)

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
Great stuff, Marko!  As a former yo-yoer, I agree that you cannot get any trick exactly like yo-yo trick, since the yo-yo is actually attached to the string and only one end of the string is attached to a finger.  Off string yo-yo tricks can be more accurately mimicked, since the yo-yo is not actually attached to the string; however one end of the string is still attached to a finger and the other end of the string is just loose.  The only way to get a diabolo trick and yo-yo trick to be exactly the same would be to have a yo-yo string with a weight (dice or something similar) on each end (which would be almost impossible to get any spin on a bearing yo-yo) or to have the diabolo string attached to your finger, etc.  In other words, the string/finger/spinning prop/etc. would have to have the exact same configuration in order to have the exact same trick.

I'm not sure why I said all that.  I'm sure somebody will try to argue that a "sun" or "trapeze" would be the same on both props.  If so, that's fine.  My point is that unless the configuration is the exact same, the trick will be slightly different.

There's not really a point to what I'm saying.  I would just like to say that this is a great tutorial and I look forward to more of the same. :)

-Jason

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »
Well if we go in direction of 4A then there's so much that diabolo can give to yoyo. (It's quite hard to find yoyos that work well for this but I got few from LZ)

This 1A way is again different and as I see it yoyo can give more to diabolo in a terms of adaption than vice versa.

Best thing in Marko's video is that it just shows two most basic yoyo mounts so it's just a beginning. I bet everybody remember mach 5 from nineties, so yoyo adaptions have been here for a long time.
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:33:31 AM »
Langerz, the slippers are bad ass.

Jasper, i would say try to get it work like it works on the video. Two trapezes are much more easier to deal with. Trapeze is a better mount to work in combos than sun there are many directions you can take it.

Yeah Jason i agree. That's what i meant with the text in midway of the video. But the kids don't have that long attention span to read any longer text so i put it down short. The closest thing with diabolo is 4A (like Samuli pointed out). But when you think about it, there's no reason you would want to do exact same tricks diabolo. These are two different sports and both have their distinct characteristics. More important is to learn and develop both disciplines and see which material can you adopt and make work somehow.

I'm not saying sun or trapeze would be exactly the same with diabolo and 1A but it's great to find some similarities from the mounts and how they work. Also i hear quite often people talking about yo-yo tricks with diabolo when most of them clearly aren't or it's really hard to find the corresponding trick.

Jasper

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
Marko, what are slippers and : I already started learning as in the video but it looks easier than it is :|

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 03:37:50 PM »
Very inspiring Marko :)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

bombmistro

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 11:54:10 PM »
the easiest way to do a Houdini mount is the slack version even though the other way looks cooler all you have to do is do a c-whip while the diabolo is in a trapeze. also the yoyo version of an j-whip (or underwhip) is known as a wrist whip i am finding more and more that diabolo is alot like 5A at least for the integral stuff
I AM BACK AND HERE TO STAY!!!

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
Thanks Marko.

I find this intersting because I adopt a similar style of diabolo yet have no knowledge of modern yo-yo tricks.

If I took up yo-yo it's like I'd be transferring my style of diabolo to the yo-yo rather than vice versa.

Mr.D

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
Great inspiration. I, myself, has NO experience with yoyo, but you've pushed me into some exploring here :)
Just a tiny result so far to show that your inspiration is leading to something (nvm if its been done before...). Something like a Double or Nothing variation I guess...:

String-thing

And the music fits like a charm! I hereby claim all rights for using it in a video :D
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »
Why is nobody walking the dog..?
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
@William, Because Pierre Marchand has all the rights for that trick.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal