Author Topic: Duncan Phoenix stuck in fixed axle  (Read 3516 times)

jordak

Duncan Phoenix stuck in fixed axle
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
So a couple of weeks ago, I bought a Duncan Phoenix. I ran into a problem with it and sent an e-mail to kyo. It might have been the wrong e-mail address...so here is the message I sent him and I hope someone can help me.

"Hey,
    Since you were so helpful before, I was hoping you could help me again. I got my phoenix (from yoyoguy.com) in the mail yesterday afternoon and was very pleased with it. It felt nice in bearing and fixed modes and everything was cool. Then it got stuck in fixed mode somehow (whether I pointed the metal washer in or out). I've tried reversing it etc...several times to no avail. Could something be defective? should I try to replace it or is there a way to fix it myself?

In the meantime, it still plays nicely fixed."

I hesitated a long time to post this because I know that the phoenix isn't so popular on this forum, but I really don't know where else to turn. Please don't say "OMG PHOENIX IS SH**" because that wouldn't be helpful and because I happen to be a fan.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

seán_

Re: Diabolo Phoenix stuck in fixed axle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:44:40 AM »
Whats yoyo guy had to say? your best bet might be a replacement.

jordak

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:59:40 AM »
I don't know if I'd rather hassle them for a replacement or keep the one I have. Shipping it back to them would be such a pain; plus I tore the duncan original packaging a bit in o the process of opening it up. It's important that I have a quality diabolo on April 11th as my roommate is getting married and I plan on entertaining the bride and groom during the festivities.

I was hoping that maybe somebody else had a similar problem and could tell me how they dealt with it.

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
I have a similar problem with my Phoenix. It switches from fixed to bearing, and back. I have no idea.
fluffy kitty

bourgeois.jason

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
From a reliability engineering standpoint, I wouldn't expect the Phoenix to be very reliable.  In other words, I would expect this problem to be very prevalent.  I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the axle, but it's hard to have the best of both worlds (fixed and bearing).  I'm sure it can be corrected, but the user shouldn't be burdened by these kind of issues.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:55 AM »
You shouldn't worry about the packaging, just get in contact with them, its broken so they won't re-sell it (you should hope).

jordak

Re: Duncan Phoenix stuck in fixed axle
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »
(Note the date of this post)

Never called up yoyoguy since I didn't miss the bearing that much anyway - but then yesterday the bearing came back after the wrapped string wound up. Now it kind of goes on and off.

ep2992

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »
I got a pheonix a while back and have the same problem. I think it's just that the inner part of the axle is broken and dosen't swivel correctly. I'm not sure what to do about it except replace the axle.

jordak

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:40:24 AM »
I got a pheonix a while back and have the same problem. I think it's just that the inner part of the axle is broken and dosen't swivel correctly. I'm not sure what to do about it except replace the axle.

Do you know where I can get a new one? (I don't think I can make a good case trying to get one from yoyoguy.com this late after I bought it.

ep2992

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:28 AM »
maybe you could call the Duncan store and explain your problem?
Or just replace the whole thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal