Author Topic: Damaged Diabolos  (Read 31108 times)

Chiok

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 11:05:58 PM »
Ah, we have 24hr supermarkets in the UK.  And Co-ops, but they close at 10 instead.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

CaptainSpirou

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 11:07:06 PM »
Quote from: Sean
Quote from: CaptainSpirou
Quote from: seán_
You might be wanting the replacement hubs then Cap'n...

Actually I plan on getting Mr. Babache.  The cups don't damage as easily and neither do the hubs.  Plus the string get caught more often on Henry than on Mr Babache.

Glad to see we're not making any sweeping generalizations based on supposed fact. :roll:

Have a read around the forum... maybe through the equipment sticky links to start with.

I don't if what i'm saying is a generalization or not.  I'm just talking from experience of using both.  It might be that the Henrys I have are the first "Large" diabolos i've had since i've used the medium sized ones up to now.  If you have the opposite experience with the brands than more power to you.

Twilite

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 11:16:33 PM »
I think the "sweeping generalisation" was that you said that all Mr Bardache's were better than all Henry's, and didn't mention anything to do with models or anything? That's how I interpreted it at least?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

CaptainSpirou

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 11:46:35 PM »
Quote from: Twilite
I think the "sweeping generalisation" was that you said that all Mr Bardache's were better than all Henry's, and didn't mention anything to do with models or anything? That's how I interpreted it at least?

I think the sweeping generalization is fine in this case.  The cups and hubs of all the Babache are all the same material just like they are for the Henry diabolos.  I didn't exactly say Babache was better than Henry.  I'm just saying it's more durable.  Perfomance wise is another story.  Both diabolos are quite excellent as far as spin and balance goes.  I just like a diabolo that can take some abuse because I still suck.  If I was absolutely flawless I would probably go with Henry.

I'm totally assuming that the string gets caught more on the metal Henry hubs because that's what happens with every size Henry I've used.  Although with yellow string it does happen much less than before.

Chiok

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 12:09:45 AM »
I think the sweeping generalization is fine in this case.  The cups and hubs of all the Babache are all the same material just like they are for the Henry diabolos.  
I think there might be a lil confusion.  The Arlequin range use the same material in their range, but the Finesse is a different material (same hubs though I think).  Circus, Jazz and Kolibri are the same material I think.

I'm totally assuming that the string gets caught more on the metal Henry hubs because that's what happens with every size Henry I've used.  Although with yellow string it does happen much less than before.
The metal hubs are more "grippy" essentially because they are metal which I quite like even though I have Finesses.  When I get the money, I am gonna get some circuses (and probably the teflon hubs as well).

Chiok

Matt_

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 01:30:34 AM »
Finesses are probably better if you're cheap, since they cost less than the Circuses. a circus costs more, and if you're gonna use non wooden sticks, the plastic hubs are basically mandatory. like i always say....i would never use alum sticks with metal hubs, for one they get destoryed FAST, secondly, they get your cups and string really dirty because of the metal crap rubbing off (even with wooden sticks)

Sean

• Administrator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
I think the sweeping generalization is fine in this case.  The cups and hubs of all the Babache are all the same material just like they are for the Henry diabolos.

That's not quite true, but that has been mentioned now. The Henrys Beach doesn't use the same hub or cup material and the Finesse doesn't use the same cup material (or hub material?) as any of the other MB diabolos. I can think of 3 different MB cup materials off the top of my head. But that wasn't my point.

There are many advantages and disadvantages of both henrys circuses and MB finesses. If you put teflon hubs on the henrys circus (as was suggested by Seán_) I wouldn't say that hub or cup durability (or likeliness that the string will catch) is among the factors that distinguish the two. From what I gather from the 100's of other posts on this subject on this forum and jongle.net, these three factors aren't among the common distinguishing factors for other people either. This is assuming that you're comparing teflon hubbed henrys to the finesses, which is a world of a difference from the metal hubbed version.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that I wouldn't say that there's a need to rule out the Henrys circus because of those factors. I've taken chunks out of both my Circus and Finesse cups (I own 9 finesses and 6 circuses) and I've never managed to damage the hubs on either of them.

CaptainSpirou

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 05:15:17 PM »
I didn't think about the Henry beach at all.  The beach is a lower-end beginner model though.  I guess for this site I have to be super specific.  My comparisions were henry metal hubs versus babache plastic ones.  I've never used the teflon hubs and I don't plan to.  It's probably more fair to compare the teflon ones to the babache hubs but they aren't the ones that come with it by default.  Henry metal hubs do get damaged alot when you're not using wooden sticks.

I've never really used Finesses before but that's also a reason why i'm planning on getting them.  Assuming that they are made from the same cup material was an error but I know the hub is essentially the same for all models.

Matt_

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 08:06:18 PM »
strangely though, the beach hubs are super durable. when my circus' metal hubs got destroyed beyond hope (new henry's yellow string was frayed and dirty in an hour from using these hubs) i use my Beach. with 2 weeks of my usual stuff...the hubs suffered nary a scratch  :shock:

DrRobotnik

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2005, 01:55:34 AM »
Quote from: Matt_
use my Beach. with 2 weeks of my usual stuff...the hubs suffered nary a scratch  :shock:

I've heard this from a few people but  the cups on the beach are made of a harder type of plastic than alot of diabolo's. Id have thought they would be cracked or deformed before any damage shows on the hub?

Chiok

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
I've heard this from a few people but the cups on the beach are made of a harder type of plastic than alot of diabolo's. Id have thought they would be cracked or deformed before any damage shows on the hub?
Ha ha, in I swoop.

Yep, Beach cups are made from "environmentally friendly polyurethene" I believe.  Which means that they are somewhat hard and plastic but still flexible, much like a juggling ring but not like a renegade.  Of course like a juggling ring, the edges of the cups can get scratched up and be a bit abrasive (on your face).  I love the diabolos though, which is why I'm thinking of getting Henrys next time.  There are a few scratches and such, but they hold up really really well from my treatment on concrete.  Shame the hubs are just a bit too small to put on a circus.  I like them though, good budget diabolo.

Chiok

Matt_

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 12:37:14 PM »
yeah, thats true. my hubs are perfect and my cups are all messed up. lesson here: dont use the Beach on concrete (or any diabolo, really). if you use it on grass and such though it should be fine.

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 05:08:55 AM »
hi all
sorry to reserect an old thread but i had to show you some of my damaged diabolos...
this one i left outside on a chair and my dog thought it was a tasty treat.
it does not work at all any more. :cry:

this one just got brittle from old age and then took a hard hit to the ground.

and this one is my 3year old nephew's. and grandad stood on it and one of the cups shatered. (three year old not impressed :x , maybe traumertised for life)

click on pics to inlarge damage (if you dare want to see the tortute these poor poor diabolos have been through)
Diaboloing is finaly in... Yay!
my videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SirHJock

fredo

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 02:46:57 PM »
ouch! even seeing that hurts! Is the first one a circus btw?

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 12:27:51 PM »
ah no. 6 year old yoho...
Diaboloing is finaly in... Yay!
my videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SirHJock

Jsam

Roller Corrosion
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2006, 04:35:18 AM »
hi I have had my 2 circuses/circui  for about 1 1/2 years now and recently the rollers have started to corrode/develop a red rustlike residue on them.  I have cleaned them once and it was fine for about a week and then it came back.  Any ideas on how to fix this problem?    Pic below  Thanks, Jeff
Green and Black circus's Oh Ya!

Matt_

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2006, 05:02:04 AM »
that's quite strange. all of my diabolos (circus and finesse alike) are polished to a shine simply from the friction of the string on metal.

so it makes me think that you're using these diabolos more for bookends than juggling...get out and use em!

Chiok

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »
That's definitely rust.  Unfortunately not much that can be done about it other than brush it off with some wire wool or a wire brush and then just keep it dry.  Most of the methods for preventing rust aren't really beneficial to diaboloing (oiling the axle for example).

Matt's right, general friction from play should keep it rust free and dry.  Don't take it to the beach, or into the bath with you.

Chiok

Jsam

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2006, 02:16:56 PM »
I have used them for 3 shows this weekend (fri sat sun) and they have never been near water
Green and Black circus's Oh Ya!

Chiok

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2006, 09:55:48 AM »
Some people (me included) have the innate ability to cause iron and steel to rust just by touching it.  We're not talking "holes in exhaust" sort of rust, but still the action of rust forming.  This is mainly due to your skin's oils which react with the metal.  I believe Circus axles to be steel as opposed to aluminium so will rust.

If you're really concerned, take the axle off, brush all the rust off and wipe it nice and clean, then put it into an acid bath (bit of lemon juice or vinegar will suffice) for a couple of minutes.  This will strip the metal of all oils and pretty much everything else off.  However, this will leave the metal in a state even more prone to rusting if not protected with some sort of coating or oil.

You could try putting a bit of WD-40 or other lubricant (not jelly) around the axle and then wiping as much off, playing with the diabolo with an old piece of string so that it wears in and see how that goes.  Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Chiok

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal