Author Topic: Damaged Diabolos  (Read 30714 times)

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 12:06:29 PM »
Maybe you culd put some metal polishing substance on an old piece of string and spin the diabolo with it for a while to polish the rust away.
Btw  2 of my first diabolos (Beach) have cracked compleatly around the hub (high throws on a hard surface...)  leaving me with onewheeled diabolos.

Matt_

• Donator
Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
Quote from: Chiok
Some people (me included) have the innate ability to cause iron and steel to rust just by touching it.  We're not talking "holes in exhaust" sort of rust, but still the action of rust forming.  This is mainly due to your skin's oils which react with the metal.

that's sweet, that's like a superpower in a way. you could be in the Xmen!

"here comes Chiok, with his ability to rust small metal things"

The Vitamin Guy

Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 06:18:34 PM »
Hahahaha, yeah, go and save the world Chiok!
The Vitamin Guy

kjm

Re: Damaged Diabolos
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 02:54:14 PM »
the first time i saw a diabolo was 5 years ago at my freinds house
he was rolling it on the ground then i tried and i tried to throw it and i threw it too hard
it hit the ceiling fan and just knocked it into the wall(literally a hole was there)
one cup was in 5 peices
we coulnt even find the other one

Jsam

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »
I tried to rub it off with the string by holding the diabolo down with my feet and wraping it a couple times.  Then putting tension on the string and pulling it back and forth.  It got worse and I could smell something burning so I guess the "rust" is actually burn marks.  I am going to clean it and use new string then see if it goes away.
Green and Black circus's Oh Ya!

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2006, 05:59:20 PM »
"the first time i saw a diabolo was 5 years ago at my freinds house
he was rolling it on the ground then i tried and i tried to throw it and i threw it too hard
it hit the ceiling fan and just knocked it into the wall(literally a hole was there)
one cup was in 5 peices
we coulnt even find the other one"

^OMFG, that is totally crazy ;D

On the topic, I´ve got a LOT of scratched up Circus Diabs. Some have very deep scars in them from being dropped on concrete stairs and sidewalks. I try to be careful now that I´ve switched to Diabigs, cause they seem more prone to become scratched. I have a few reserved for outside use or for juggling on rough surfaces. I only use the other ones in gyms. I think a Circus could survive most things cause they seem more "bouncy".

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2006, 05:02:01 AM »
The edges of the cups can get scratched up and be a bit abrasive (on your face).

AMEN! I was doing neck bounces with an old scratched beach from my circus and it hit me about 1cm off my eye and left me with a (not very visible anymore) scar.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Christopher

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2006, 08:48:23 AM »
i think this happened because your sticks were lifted higher than the string around your neck so it bouces torwards you Will.

jacky

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »
one way to avoid from getting hit by diabolo when doing neck bounces is keep bounces the diabolo and even it come toward you,you will have a chance to get away from getting hit.

fat_hampster

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 06:09:19 PM »
Today I managed to  snap the screw bitt that goes through the centre of the diabolo (circus (with all-round hubs)) It was coming loose, so I tightened it up, but I tightened it a bit too much, and it snapped of at the screw thing at the end, now I have to try to get it to work via other means, hopefull Ill have it usable before circus skills tonight :)
clever me.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006, 11:37:07 PM »
i think this happened because your sticks were lifted higher than the string around your neck so it bouces torwards you Will.

Yeah, I was trying to do them very fast, I found out what I was doing wrong very soon after.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

¤ ¢Ð² ¤

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2006, 12:35:49 AM »
so is it true that the circus hubs break easily?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 01:46:23 AM »
so is it true that the circus hubs break easily?
Am I missing where that came from? I've never heard of that happening, although I'm sure it's possible.

seán_

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2006, 02:35:31 AM »
A few people reported problems with the Henrys allround replacements, but the designs been changed, (note the use of the word 'few'), other than that maybe he's thinking about the stock hubs getting knicked when hit by metal sticks/tips.

Any how in answer to  ¤ ¢Ð² ¤ , NO they dont break easily, stop worrying and get diaboloing

DiaboloWebb

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2006, 01:55:50 PM »
my diaboloing buddy lent his diabolo to a friend, who managed to throw it over a bridge, down 4 metre's (sp?) into the river, we're going wading today.

EDIT: Well we successfully got the Circus back, after about half an hour of wading and searching. That should save us a good 25 quid.
ALIENS ARE COMING TO ABDUCT ALL THE GOOD LOOKING AND SEXY PEOPLE.

YOU WILL BE SAFE; I'M JUST WRITING THIS TO SAY GOODBYE.

thewu

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2006, 07:34:12 AM »
is there any way to "save" a dented diabolo? mine starts wobbling like heck after i give it a good spin (and i'm pretty sure the axles aren't loose). i dont want to order another one all the way from taiwan...   :-\

oh yeah and they're the rubber bearing fly diabolos.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2006, 07:42:01 AM »
Is it bent/deformed or actually cracked? Can you see where the problem is? If the cup itself is bent it might return itself to normal (my finesses do this) but with a cracked or severely damaged cup, you're pretty much out of luck. And I don't think that those particular diabolos are very high quality.

cardsharp

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2006, 05:19:04 PM »
is there any way to "save" a dented diabolo? mine starts wobbling like heck after i give it a good spin (and i'm pretty sure the axles aren't loose). i dont want to order another one all the way from taiwan...   :-\

oh yeah and they're the rubber bearing fly diabolos.

Have you tried filling the cups with boiling/very warm water to round them out? (I think it was earlier in this thread)

Also, try cleaning the axle on it - though I'm not sure it did very much for me when I cleaned it...

thewu

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2006, 08:01:25 AM »
thanks for responding :)

@matt_ : its just deformed. i can hardly tell unless i actually roll it on the floor...

@cardsharp: i'll try putting water in it. would it round off by itself or do i have to do something to it?

and yeah i think its about time i find a safer practice place...

DiaboloWebb

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »
i'd say fill them with boiling water/submerge them in boiling water, with the string already round the axel, when the cups are soft enough pull it out of the water and start acellerating as quickly as you can, whipping is probably the fastest way to speed it up, right hand wrap it, use rhythmic, fairly forceful pulls and try to get it to full speed, then let is slow down on the string as not to allow any bumps or wrap ups as this may deform your diabolo even more. When it has slowed down put it down on a soft surface and check that the cups have cooled down, then check how effective the treatment was.
Thanks,
Aiden

P.S. pulling the diabolo out of boiling water and then accelerating to high velocity will cause lots of very hot water to go flying in all directions, i would suggest doing this outside and away from any annoying infants that may complain if they get hit or burnt.
ALIENS ARE COMING TO ABDUCT ALL THE GOOD LOOKING AND SEXY PEOPLE.

YOU WILL BE SAFE; I'M JUST WRITING THIS TO SAY GOODBYE.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal