Author Topic: Bodyheight, width and Diabolo  (Read 4887 times)

Diabolo88

• Donator
Bodyheight, width and Diabolo
« on: July 05, 2005, 06:08:25 PM »
Ok, I have a strange and quite possibly stupid question I hope someone can answer.  

I wonder what impact the bodies height and musclethickness have on your Diabolo.

I have a couple of older vids of Tony and  when I compare them to his new ones he has a lot less arm muscles and simply looks thinner. Personally I think his technique also looks both faster and better on these vids (even though he has new tricks now).

I also have noticed that the people I admire the most in terms of how their technique looks (not the difficulty), all seem to be pretty short and have very thin arms. This seems to affect the speed of the Diabs revolving. Is this true?

The reason I´m asking is because I´ve grown about seven centimeters the past few months and added about 4 kgs to my arms. I am now 193 centimeters long and weigh 75 kgs.

Will this affect my Diabolo technique at all and is being taller and bulkier an advantage or a disadvantage in terms of looks of the technique? Obviously, a chesthigh string for a taller person is longer than it is for the shorter I mean. Also, about how tall are the MFP and Ryo Yabe. I like their technique the most. I´ve met the MFP at two EJC:s and I remember most of them being quite short and thin (except for Priam who was taller than me)

Sorry for a very long message and crappy english/spelling. Please don´t flame me too much if these questions appears stupid.

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 06:34:24 PM »
I dont think that the size of a person should affect diaboloing too much. Well, maybe if you have super huge muscles, your flexibility will not be as great, since they are too big to move in certain ways that are required for tricks. Maybe it is better to be on the tall side, or have longer arms when doing two or more diabolos, so both of them can fit on the string, but even short people can do two or more. I think it is more a matter of practicing and knowing what to do.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

ming

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 06:40:56 PM »
I'm about the same size as you so i don't think it has anything to do with size. see ofek www.shiltons.com he's quite small and he is very good. Its more a matter of gaining control over your muscles that'll help.

bye the bye i'd take the 88 off the end of your username might cause a bit of trouble http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/88

DrRobotnik

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 08:03:26 PM »
Interesting, i never knew that about the numbers 88 and 18.

Its strange to think that some people born in 1988 will also be 18 this year. Maybe this explains the increase in chav violance in Britains towns!.....I think i'm onto something here!

The plot thickens!  :shock:

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »
Well, they'll be 18 next year.  But that is mighty interesting... I was born in Medway which is the epicentre of it all!
As for the size of people, I think Ryo Yabe is fairly short (5'7" or shorter ) as most oriental people are :(.  Though I'm similar and I'm not doing nearly as well as him.  Seán is a fairly big guy (in the sense I wouldn't get into a drunker brawl with you) and he does perfectly well.  Not sure if there's much correlation though.  Being wirey could help though.

Chiok
*wishing genetics didn't play such a large part in my size*
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Twilite

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 10:26:33 PM »
I'm kinda wiry. 6'2 and only just over 10 stone. I suck, does that disprove your argument  :P ?
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

seán_

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 01:04:11 AM »
Now that I have shaved my head again, people dont seem to want to get in a sober brawl with me either.

I'd say that body shape and physique will affect the way people diabolo. I'm not really built to look gracefull with lots of behind the back magic knottery so I dont play about with that a lot.

I'm not so sure if I agree that peoples stature controls the speed the diabolo revolve at. Possibly more down to technique and string length (possibly height dependant but plently of tall people use short strings and short people long)

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »
The thing is, I want a fast and "graceful" technique. But if you are are tall and have normal length string, what´s normal for you might be long for other people so the technique should be slower. And having a very short string wouldn´t look good either. Also, I don´t worry about the difficulty of the technique, I worry about how it looks.

My technique is something of a mix between Jibe and Ryo Yabe´s. The thing is that they both have pretty fast techniques (don´t know how tall they are though). I think that the smaller person should get faster technique, since the normal string length to a short person will be short to a tall person.

I´ve seen exceptions (like Tony and Makky) that have a longer string but who are still fast, but their style is very different from mine so I still worry. Is there a vid somewhere of a tall person with fast technique?

BTW: My name is Diabolo88 on most places on the internet so I don´t think I´ll wanna change it everywhere. I´m not a racist though.

ming

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 11:39:04 AM »
I think you need a short string for speed (helps a little) but what you need more is control, once you have that you can go as fast as you like. As for the graceful bit work on your flexibilty that'll give you range you movement, keep energy in your limbs at all time, ie point your toes when they're off the ground and think not only of the tricks your doing but also what shape your body is in

Spooned

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 07:55:45 PM »
The graceful, flowing technique you desire takes ages of practice, most people start off ropey (as i did starting 2d) but their techinque improves as they practice it more and more. If youre not worried about the complexity of youre tricks then just make up a routine and practice it over and over until it becomes *too cool*  8)
Diabolo or Diablo

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 09:43:33 AM »
Thank you for all replies. You´ve all been very nice and helpful to me:)

I tried to remember having a good posture yesterday when I practiced and my whip-duicides got easier to catch (because of the bigger arch in my back) so in that sense, they got faster because I don´t need to think about them as much now. Two Diabs didn´t change though and three Diabs is usually fast anyway. Guess I´ll need practice with two Diabs.

BTW: Is there any more vids of Makky on the internet besides the FEDC?
His two Diabolo tricks are really awesome.

seán_

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 12:28:26 PM »
Quote from: Diabolo88

BTW: Is there any more vids of Makky on the internet besides the FEDC?
His two Diabolo tricks are really awesome.

the FEDC and FEDC2 vids in the tricks sticky. a couple of mad tricks in Daboloumbertos TOTW, possibly some footage with team DIA (links in website sticky). thats what comes to mind for me.

Theres a relative scarcity of Japanese diabolo videos maybe thats something for another thread though.

I havent thought a lot about posture until recently and its hard to deal with it after years of having awfull posture. I know some toss jugglers believe that good stance and form is  important so maybe I should work on that as well as my diaboloing in general

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal