Author Topic: Re: Play Geko sticks  (Read 2639 times)

Australia

Re: Play Geko sticks
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »
Has anyone tried the new Geko handsticks from Play?
Any feedback?
We are thinking of getting some in.
www.playjuggling.com/gek-stk-all.html

JUGGLEART

seán_

Re: Re: Play Geko sticks
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
Quick review.
Look very different.
Skinny
Weird feel in the grips (shape and texture, kind of gel/gummi deal)
Heavier than any other stick out their (except maybe the old Passesspasse lead ones ones :) )
Not my cup of tea. felt a bit full on in stick release mode to me.

Funty had a set at the BJC hopefully he or somebody who gave them more of a using would pipe up. I know Dodson gave them a good session. I had forgot totally about them until you brought up the topic.

Initial thought. If you have strong serious diaboloist clientbase probably not worth going mad on them versus Henrys Allys/Mr B Alu.
If you are seeling a lot stuff out to kids who may let there head rule their heart (think energy sticks) then they might do well if only on looks. They're perfectly usable sticks for general diaboloing. the slimness might be good for smaller hands, squidgy grips maybe seen as safer. (I know at least one primary/junior school over here that had a diabolo craze banned ally sticks of any kind)

Like I say initial gut thought but I may be way of base. They might fly out.

Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »
Thanks.  I think you pretty much nailed it.
There are some better sticks buy they are pretty funky and cheap too!

cloggingfool

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »
I've had mine for about four days now, and have given them about five hours of play.

The shape of the handles gives a new feeling, which is a little bit hard to get used to, but after two hours or so, they felt fine.
They look fantastic for anything where the stick leaves your hand.
The way the string is tied is a good way to save string and not get it wrapped around the stick on infinite suicides and whatnot.
They are rather heavy, for handsticks, but I have found I actually like the added weight.
The sticks get scratched rather easily, but they still look great from two or more feet away. The silicone handles pick up dust like you wouldn't believe, but you can just wipe them off with a damp cloth.
The included string doesn't wear out very quickly, although mine is getting black up at the tips of the handsticks. I haven't had any problems with my string snapping after five hours of rather rough play, and it only wraps up on me if I really mess up on a trick.

If you're using a Circus, like me, the sticks will leave little nicks in the hubs if you mess up on suicides, or anything where the stick might hit the diabolo.

I'd give them 4/5 stars, probably. Not the best, they have some issues, but they look very good (especially under a blacklight!) and are pretty fun to play with.
After playing with wooden sticks for so long, I feel like getting these was one of the best decisions I made in a while.

Hope this helps.

ASL
Life is good, yes?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal