Author Topic: Diabolo 1 week  (Read 4184 times)

qwertycoder

Diabolo 1 week
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:13:44 AM »
diabolo one week.mp4

so i got my diabolo a bit over a week ago and im hooked.  as you can see its pretty ****ty, but i wanted to get something up that i can look back on and cringe, my main problem im noticing is turning the diabolo, i didnt realize it was a problem until i tried filming.
 I just got a Sundia Fly and the diabology DVD today, im loving the bearing design, it just keeps on spinning, and the dvd is just mindblowing, their is so much to learn, im so exited.

jahacky

Re: Diabolo 1 week
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
Welcome to the world of diabolo'ing dude, most people on diabolo.ca are hooked, its very addictive. Looks like you're doin pretty well. Concentrate on learning some different ways of gaining speed, there are other ways that look better and if it spins faster it may turn less too. There's some ideas for gaining speed on diabolotricks.com which was helpful for me when i first started.
......Jack......

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:22:10 PM »
Welcome! Yes, working on acceleration techniques (circular orbit accelerations and Chinese accelerations) would be a great thing to work on now. The faster you can accelerate the diabolo the more time you can spend learning interesting moves and the more fun it will become. You seem to have a good feel for a lot of the fundamental movements so I think you'll progress quite quickly from here.

For now it's just fine, but at some point in the future you might want to consider a full-sized 5 inch diabolo. You'll find it's more stable and holds its speed better. Especially once you start working on two... which you'll be doing in no time. :)  That's when I really fell in love with it.

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
Very good for only a week, just work on what Sean suggested, and you should look on youtube for tutorials if you need help;).
fluffy kitty

qwertycoder

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
Welcome to the world of diabolo'ing dude, most people on diabolo.ca are hooked, its very addictive. Looks like you're doin pretty well. Concentrate on learning some different ways of gaining speed, there are other ways that look better and if it spins faster it may turn less too. There's some ideas for gaining speed on diabolotricks.com which was helpful for me when i first started.

thanks for all the replys so far, as acceleration is concerned i can now do Chinese whips, orbit acceleration and the side to side whip, but only with my new 5 inch sundia fly, when ever i try any wrapped accelerations with the fixed axle, it ends up doing a string climb without me wanting it too.  the bearing i soooo much easier and i love the sound it makes.
Question, how long did it take for you guys to make the jump from 1 too 2 diabolos.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »
when ever i try any wrapped accelerations with the fixed axle, it ends up doing a string climb without me wanting it too.
You are angling the string, right? See:
http://diabolo.ca/wraps-friction-and-pain/
and the link Marko gave in the comments.

Question, how long did it take for you guys to make the jump from 1 too 2 diabolos.
I'd say you already have the skills necessary to start working on it if you want. Getting a shuffle going won't be too bad. Getting comfortable with corrections and accelerations will take quite a bit longer.

finesse

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
If you want to start 2D, just try.
But you have to decide if you want to play fixed or bearing style.
It can be a bit harder with 2D bearing, (i think, not tried myself) but its your choice.
I`m using finesses wide axle for 2D, and it really works out good for me.
There are some in this forum who uses bearing shuffles, so you could also ask them about their opinion.
Start when you got the basics down, which you got, and try 2D when you feel ready.
Good work and progression by the way.

qwertycoder

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03:19 AM »
You are angling the string, right? See:
http://diabolo.ca/wraps-friction-and-pain/
and the link Marko gave in the comments.
I'd say you already have the skills necessary to start working on it if you want. Getting a shuffle going won't be too bad. Getting comfortable with corrections and accelerations will take quite a bit longer.

thanks alot for the link, that little picture sums up my problem, although i cant see a benefit to fixed axles now that i have my sundia fly, ive ordered another one that should be here in the next couple days. the only thing i can see as a benefit to is the string climb but thats a great move for a crowd, but it doesn't flow very well.

thank you all for the replys i will be posting a 3 week vid soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal