Author Topic: What kind of people book this and what can you ask for it and more q  (Read 3439 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Hi,

I wonder what kind of people or company's pay for the following kind of acts.. And how much you can ask for em..

1. A diabolo demostration normal 3 - 5 minutes no talking or with talking.
2. A Diabolo Light show 3 - 5 minutes or more where I talk. Or not..
3. A diabolo fire show 3 - 5 minutes or more.. Where I talk or don't talk..
4. A fire show with diabolo's, 3 clubs, and fire spitting? ( lol how do you call that ) for a few minutes.. Where I can talk or not..

Each shows are not ready yet.. Their just ideas of what I could think of and then create a show around it.. With talking and things and such.. And good music!

But I wonder how much I can ask for it if their really thoughtof shows. And what kind of people book these shows?

I'm sure a few of you have got experience for this.. I would ask like 50 euros for it.. But I know you will say that I can ask much more for it.. But how much? And who book it..

And then last question..

Could someone give me some tips on how to sell these kind of shows? I do have a nice website where I can put them on..
And perhaps a demo video of each show?

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
Re: What kind of people book this and what can you ask for it and more q
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
I would recommend that you put up posters all over your town, maybe in your local newspaper and such.
I've had a couple of diabolo demonstrations at local kindergartens but you could try local places where the youth come to hang out. (In denmark theres quite a few institutions where kids come after school to hang out and such. In fact thats where I started diaboloing) At those places you could offer doing workshops even.

good luck.
-Tipper
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
I would recommend that you put up posters all over your town, maybe in your local newspaper and such.
I've had a couple of diabolo demonstrations at local kindergartens but you could try local places where the youth come to hang out. (In denmark theres quite a few institutions where kids come after school to hang out and such. In fact thats where I started diaboloing) At those places you could offer doing workshops even.

good luck.
-Tipper

Yea we have that here also and I'm already doing workshops over their. And they pay around 20 euros an hour.
But I'm looking for places to sell shows..

A diabolo light show
A diabolo fireshow
and a normal diabolo show..

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »
Maybe you could look for a nearby circus, or put up your own show and try to have gigs.
fluffy kitty

Indy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:04:03 PM »
(.......)or put up your own show and try to have gigs.

That's his point for this topic!
He just needs some adivice!

Ramon, I think that those small acts are good to start with.
But it works better if you offer them is combinations.
For example a show where you show your diabolo routine and after that you can and with a spectacular firejuggling/spitting;) show!
Most companies/people wont book you for just a diabolo demo of 5 minutes.
Think big!
epicness commits

Billy

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »
I made $150 at the local public library.

I did a diabolo demonstration and then a short show. I did not even name the price. That is just what they paid me.

I knew they had programs for kid and teenagers so I just went by asked if they would like to have me come do a show/demonstration. (I explained   them what it was and what I would be doing)
Yoyosam.com is where I get my stuff.
Where do you get yours?

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »
Here is some advice take it in the spirit that it is given with the best intentions.

Pricing is a delicate mather and since i havent seen your show i cant help you out with the rates exept that 50 euros is way to little for a live show if you want to be taken seriously. But here is some general advice:

If you ask more than your show is worth you migth get hired but fail to live up to the costumers expectations. Wich is bad for you in the long run (they wont hire you again and will not recomend you to others)
If you ask to little you will lose monney and you will not be precived as a "real" artist, just a happy amature doing it for fun. This will make some good potential costumers disregard you and look for other more professional performers instead even if your shows are at the same level.

So finding out aproximatley what your show is wort is verry important, both charging to much and to little can be harmfull. If you find out what other artists in the area charge and try to compare yourself objectively with them you will get clue. I recomend that you dont have a fixed fee regardless of what event you perform at. If you do a corporate event charge more, if you do a birthdayparty for kids carge less. Be a little flexible some gigs will give you good exposure and can be worth doing for promotional reasons even if the payment is ****.

Ask a little more than you would like to have most people will try to haggle a bit.

If you do shows for free or low pay make sure that the costumer know that you normaly charge more and give them a handsome discount and a good reason why you give the discount.

Best way to get giggs is to do gigs, a job well done can generate more jobs.

I agree with Indy dont just offer one 5 minute show its going to be hard to sell just that the more you offer the more jobs you will get. maybe you culd team up with some other performer doing something different than you for some giggs?

Who will hire you? Think creative! Where will your show/shows be apreshiated? Birtdayparties, weddings, corporate events, shopping malls, theatres, bars, schools, fancy dinners, circuses, variety are possible venues, try to think of others as well.
Different venues require different aproach, find the places you would like to perform at and adapt your act/acts to fit them. If you have a well written concept that tell the costumer exactly what they get when they hire you you will have much more sucsess than if you are just selling some kind of show.

Good luck

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
Wow thanks!!!

That is some amazingly good information you gave me! Thanks!

I havn't made a show yet.. But I'm sure I can make a show where I can talk on such a cool enthousastic way to entertain them.. I found out that if I stand for an audiance and juggle with my diabolo's for 5 minutes.. They dont enjoy it as much as if I Talk with ith.. Unless I perform it on a way as the sharpes do..

So.. Then I first try to create a show myself! I can try to make 1 with some objects in it.. Or 1 where I talk true the show.. So then I could say like hey okay im gonna try something now.. It should go like this that.. And its hard and bla bla and if it works.. Please clap! Something in that way? Just say what I do.. And add some funny things in it.. Or make a show with a theme :)

Anyways.. When I've done that I'l ask this community how much I could ask for it..
And then I'll go try to search for someone to do it together with! And try to sell it to the things you said!

Thanks all!

Ramon

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
If you haven't checked it out already, have a look at this: http://www.performers.net/

A wealth of information concerning performing and busking.

As for your mention of "talking through the show," Ramon, this is absolutely the way to go.  Except for stage shows where you're just doing tricks, the chat is the most important tool for a performer.  Many of the best street performers do, maybe, three big tricks, but spend 15 minutes building each of them.

Space Cowboy comes to mind (you get to see it in 2:30, but his whole show goes for about 45 minutes):
Sword Swallowing Space Cowboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal