Author Topic: Name That Diab  (Read 6230 times)

nev

• Donator
Name That Diab
« on: July 14, 2005, 01:18:01 PM »
Hello forum

This is my first post & I was hoping someone could tell me what type of diabolo I own? (was hoping to post a picture but don't know how to get it off my computer & onto the forum).

I have 2 diabs of the same make both about 10+ years old - vital statistics are:

size 130mm diameter
weight 300 grams
height 150mm

Both have rubber cups.

Axles are aluminium with black plastic hubs (with large steel plate washers and hex bolt to hold them in within cup)

One is solid purple (quite dark) & the other is purple / white pattern (a bit like a radiant pattern but not quite).

Got them in my unicycle / snakeboard days (probably from mushy pea when it was near piccadilly records) and never even got past the basic 1d stuff of throwing & catching (RA orbis was about as advanced as I got).  That was 10+ years ago but I went camping 2 weeks ago, met a fellow diab player & got hooked.  Got the diabology DVD and am now doing stuff I never dream't of before (pulled off consistent genocides both ways yesterday).

Was thinking of having a go at two, but here is the prob.  Both my diabs looked fine when I dug them out of storage 2 weeks ago.  Since then however, one has developed a rather fatal looking split right through the cup around a full half of the diameter (near the hub).  Tried to glue and was ok for a while but then split again (and was a bit off balance).

As they are simelar in size weight to a circus - could I get away with buying just one circus (to go with my existing unknown make diab) or should I bite the bullet and get two new ones?

Sorry for the essay - just v pleased to be progressing and eager for more.

Any advice would be more than welcome.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

martijn

Name That Diab
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 02:22:10 PM »
I don't know what kind of diabs those are... Try to host one image or two at http://img111.imageshack.us/

nev

• Donator
Name That Diab
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 03:28:12 PM »
Thanks for the info

And the damage - ouch

www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

martijn

Name That Diab
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
right... I don't know them.. (my mind is only focused on Circus and Finesse :P), but I think it wouldn't hurt if you'd buy 2 Circus or 2 Finesses. Have a look at the forum in the equipment sticky or at the G2 thread for some more info.

Will^

Name That Diab
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:11:59 PM »
I dont know what they are, but I'm learning 2 at the moment, and had the very same dilema. In the end I forked out about 40 quid for 2 Finesse G2s. Well worth it in my opinion. Now I prefer them to my circus (and ive got a 2d shuffle going on).

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Name That Diab
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 04:18:38 PM »
I am not sure what those ones are. maybe performers or something?

Check here, it might help out in finding what type it is.

http://diabolotricks.com/whatisit.html

wait, think i might have found what they are.

that tie die one looks like

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/radiant_jumbo_diabolos.html

and the other one looks like

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/butterfingers_jumbo_diabolos.html

I may be wrong though.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Spooned

Name That Diab
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 04:33:47 PM »
Quote from: mynci
I have 2 diabs of the same make both about 10+ years old - vital statistics are:

size 130mm diameter
weight 300 grams
height 150mm

Quote from: DiaboloTricks.com

Pictured above is a solid Blue Mister Babache Jumbo similar to a Harlequin diabolo and a pair of sticks with string.

Diabolo's diameter is 5 inches (125 mm).

Diabolo's height is 6 inches (155 mm).

Diabolo's weight 335 grams.

Dont know if it is but it looks pretty similar.
Diabolo or Diablo

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Name That Diab
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:40:09 PM »
aren't they Oddballs?

nezzybaby

Name That Diab
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 04:55:49 PM »
dunno what they are, one of them definately looks like an oddballs radiant, but that doesn't matter. What i reccomend is you buy one circus, and compare the two, if it turns out they're fairly similar then you should be able to learn 2 diabolos. if not then just get a second.

I learnt to do two with a circus and a jumbo harlequin, it doesnt make too much of a difference as long as they are similar weights. However once you start to get more comfortable, you may want to buy a second circus and start working on more advanced tricks.

I say circus' because the diabolos you have appear to be too heavy to use with a finesse, the weights would be to different to comfortably learn two.

but its gonna be cheaper to buy one than two to start with.

eggy900

Name That Diab
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 05:17:18 PM »
they're defiantely not oddballs. And as it's over 10 years old i don't think it's one that we might be used to. I reckon it could be a mr babache eagle but don't quote me on it, cos i'm not sure

Chiok

• Donator
Name That Diab
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 07:22:47 PM »
I don't think it's an Eagle, and Eagle is like a big Birdie isn't it?  With the dimples.  It definitely looks like a Radient Jumbo the one on the left.  The one with the life threatening laceration in it I have no idea.  I would have guessed MB Jumbo perhaps (they've changed a bit over the time) and according to the age, that's my guess.  
Get a Circus if you'd like and it should be ok but the different hubs might throw you a bit (might not too).

The sticks are a wonderment to me too, what are they?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

nev

• Donator
Name That Diab
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 10:12:30 PM »
The sticks are homemade (this week) made from 8mm aluminium tube with bicycle gear derailleur cable caps (black teflon for wear) epoxy resin glued into the tube at the string end (so the knot is right at the string exit end, can freely rotate, and uses minimal string) with black rubber gas pipe tubing as grip (8mm inernal diameter to fit tube).  Handles not as soft as I would like but was all I could get to fit the tube at short notice.  I am on the lookout for a softer material to use.

Other than the firmness off the grip, they seem to work great - will try to post  a better pic of them tommorrow.  Weight is 44 gram / stick & cost to make was about £2.25 / set + time to make.

Plus - pleased somebody noticed the sticks - didnt even realise they were in the pic.

nev

• Donator
Name That Diab
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 10:12:58 AM »

Here are the pics

Quite pleased with the polished ends  :D

Will^

Name That Diab
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 11:22:37 AM »
They look pretty nice actually. You should manufacture them!  8)

Vojtas

Name That Diab
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »
Wow, nice work man! Do you sell them?  :D
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Chiok

• Donator
Name That Diab
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2005, 01:07:01 AM »
Those are quite good, look very neat and tidy.  If you look at the Equipment sticky, I made a post about my not so tidy sticks, but the handles should be softer.  Though soft is really a matter for the face, I imagine the rubber works fine.  And the polished ends do look nice.
Good stuff.
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal