Author Topic: Norbi - Zoo Cirkus  (Read 3830 times)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Norbi - Zoo Cirkus
« on: June 15, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
Hey everybody! It's surely been a while since I posted on here. I have been not practicing diabolo for a long time, but about a month ago I was offered a summer contract outdoors in a cool production with live music and 2 sides and stuff. Unfortunately rings don't go well outdoors, so I decided to use the magical powers of... diabolo-is-easy-enough-that-even-after-not-practicing-for-a-couple-of-years-I-can-still-do-everything. Here is my 5th performance of a routine created to a piece of music given to me, and written in around one hour (wow, I wonder if I could undersell this any more! I just feel somewhat shy in the diabolo community now...)
Also includes my first ever attempt at 3 diabolos on stage (AND a rather impressive correction-fest before it)

Norbi - Diabolo from "Zoo Cirkus"

Norbi

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
Re: Norbi - Zoo Cirkus
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
Audience on both sides is hard, but turning your back to the audience is a bad look. I don't see why you didn't just stay sideways so that both sides could see.
The 2 diabolo start seemed a bit of anti climax too. I would probably have started it sooner rather than waiting.
Live music was good though. Very good idea.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:44:08 PM »
Audience 2 sides is very hard, especially with diabolo. But diabolo from the side is extremely uninteresting. Plus I choose tricks which were 1) reasonably visible from the back, or 2) turned around. 2 diabolos at a 45 degree angle to best please the most amount people at once.

Most people don't realize 2 diabolos is even possible, they seemed to enjoy it very much when I started. I don't see a problem with the build up (would have taken 15 minutes in a street show)

Personally...

Hack

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
Yeah, I think you did a good job making sure everyone saw some tricks. I'd go see that show!

seán_

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:13 PM »
So were your thought when you snagged the 2d speed up before 3 high '"ho- hum, that's a pity"? :)

I enjoyed that Norbi. It's nasty having audiences to the sides with diabolo. Quite a few of your moves worked well in that situation and I suppose there must be plenty of others that would too. (off the top of my head, turning body moves, grinds to whips, foot elevators, piro suns, front to back suns, swinging and turning fans*)

I'm going to side with you on people not realising 2d is possible and if you have the audiences attention there's no need to rush straight to it. Possibly start straight to 2high since your 2 section was high.

*not saying your routine needs any of those Norbi, I'm just thinking about general dealing with non facing audience stuff

Scrat

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »
I think that this is an enjoyable show. As you mentioned the 2 side Audiance is really hard to manage but you've done it really well.

Anyway is your performance "Diabolo Love" still one of my all-time-favourite.

greetings, scrat

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:04:15 PM »
Thanks everybody... or at least 4 people. Here is a second video, of a single audience version.
The awesome drum solo was replaced with a lame dance (which i cut from the video) and excuse the bad lighting.
Notes - if you don't like traditional circus, or enjoy only high level technical acts... this is not for you.
Voila, the single audience adaptation.
Norbi - "Zoo Cirkus", single audience version
Norbi

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
Nice, dropless act with good solid tricks.  Can't complain about that (one sees so few of those these days with all the feed-the-sun-like-crazy acts).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal