Author Topic: Duicide - behind the back catch  (Read 7547 times)

tomangleberger

• Donator
Duicide - behind the back catch
« on: July 18, 2005, 03:37:57 AM »
Anyone have advice for me?

Do you backwrap before you throw or do you throw like a normal duicide?

The backwrap helps spread the sticks out a little bit. When I do normal,  both sticks come to the left hand. Can't seem to catch them.

Also do you like to throw from both hands or do you move both sticks to one hand first?

Thanks folks,
Tom

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 04:19:46 AM »
Try this one. Do a whip catch and then duicide. Then try to catch it behind the back. It takes practice. Also, when I do it, the diabolo is not wrapped, and I use one hand to do a counterclockwise duicide(im right handed).
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Vojtas

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 07:43:14 AM »
Or this one (something slightly different, but nevermind): Do a whip catch and throw the sticks behind the back, but catch them in front of you.
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 08:08:50 AM »
Sometimes a whip catch makes it more difficult (it does with double duicides), concentrate on making it nice and smooth.

It should be the same move as duicide and catch to the front, with the difference being you take a step forward after throwing.
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 11:08:31 AM »
Quote from: ronnie2tone
take a step forward after throwing.
That is a VERY good piece of advice there.  With behind the back stuff, step forward infront of the diabolo's plane, that way you don't rub the cups and end up with it turning or falling off.  
As for the whipcatch to duicide, I have trouble with that as I too do an anticlockwise duicide (so whip catch facing left) but the sticks often end up in a twistiness.  Never a fan of duicides anyway... hurt my face...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 11:35:08 AM »
Chiok, I was wondering if it matters which side of the diabolo  the loop of the whipcatch  goes when it  comes to getting a twist during an anticlockwise  duicide?  (with regards to how your hand has to face on the release)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 03:11:37 PM »
Actually now that you mention it, it probably would help if the whip catch was aimed to go over the front cup instead of the back.  That way when brought back to neutral essentially, it'd be open string and hopefully no tangles following the duicide.
I've always tried to make a point of aiming two handed whip catches over the front cup so it comes to open string, but with one handed, I always just aimlessly whipped at the diabolo.  A possible epiphany moment here...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »
no, the twist is simply becuase of the way you are spinning it, not becuase of the whip, if you did it 2 handed it would still twist. I guess its becuase of the spin on the diabolo, but if you do an AC duicide then you will (mostly) end up in a crossed string.

as for the btb catch... just watch the one you are going to catch behind the back (mostly) as that is the hard one, and make sure you (and your hands) are in the right place to catch this. For the right hand its a sort of weave through the sticks, as you see it come down, let the first stick pass behind your right hand and then get your hand right out to catch the right stick. Hope that helps. Maybe i'll film a tutorial later if i get the chance.

seán_

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 05:21:23 PM »
Norbi, he is doing an AC duicide, I thought it might be a CW one at first but then I re-read Chioks post.

Thanks for the tips on the catch, I'd love to see a tutorial, maybe with any other variations youu  have.

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 05:48:13 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice...

The reason I asked about all this is that when I catch a normal duicide, the sticks are at 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. It's just about impossible to catch them like this behind the back. The backwrap was helping me get a 9 o'clock and a 3 o'clock, but caused other problems.
I'll give it a go with the whipcatch.

bLUe/shaDOw, I like your idea of throwing behind the back! Thanks.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2005, 06:00:03 PM »
Quote from: seán_
Norbi, he is doing an AC duicide, I thought it might be a CW one at first but then I re-read Chioks post.

Thanks for the tips on the catch, I'd love to see a tutorial, maybe with any other variations youu  have.

ah, woops, i messed up there. CW duicides end up with a half twist. AC duicides are the classic version from duicide.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal