Author Topic: Diabolo light kits (Ev. 4, Vega, Diabglo...) DANGER  (Read 75084 times)

arnie

• VotW Contributor
Diabolo light kits (Ev. 4, Vega, Diabglo...) DANGER
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2005, 06:25:56 PM »
yeh it was one you can switch to a certain voltage and it was set to 9v for sure. if you read the wording on the packaging it says the charger can receive adaptors 9 volts of the entire world

steve *exploding his diabolos so you dont have to*

Arjan

« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2005, 08:42:34 PM »
ouch that sucks... well... were sure now: don`t use other adapters!

LOL, like your quote

seán_

« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2005, 12:42:39 AM »
OK so we now know not to try and plug them into the 9v adaptor directly (It says so on the packet I believe)

So as I see it, I get two of the original light kits, due to a design flaw one breaks within 2 days,
I send back for a replacement and take the other one off (since I pretty much concentrate on 2d and dont want a miss weighted set of diabolos).
 I then wait 8 months (yes 8 months) for a replacement, as soon as they land in the UK Firetoys send me the replacement (thanks firetoys).

I now have two kits running again, albeit a slight missmatch set  and the old kit after its 8 months (yes 8 months) holiday allready has to be kept together with tape (in reality it has had less than a weeks use).

I now have to nurse these kits untill saturday nights, short light, UV and fire show with 2cups and Tiff the juggler and Urban Circus (Saltaire festival, pop along IF you are in the area). Then I have to wait for the official charger to come on sale, BUY it and a 9 volt adapter and then in a matter of days when my old type one finally stops working I'll have to also buy a replacement for that.....

/takes big breath, goes to lie down in a dark room

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2005, 08:58:25 AM »
damn sean_, you've gotten quite the runaround from MB eh?

i hope that when i buy the light kit(s) i dont have to go through so much hassle  :?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2005, 10:57:46 AM »
Cheers for the pm seán_

Ok just to clear this up once and for all - I only said I thought a standard 9v charger would work (as it says that a 9v adapter will work on the packet that the kits come in) and other people have also come to this assumption.  Since then however, having seen a picture of the charger it seems that the unit is in two parts i.e a black adapter type bit that plugs into the wall and a grey box with two outputs (one for each side of diab).  It apears that it is the black bit which would output 9v (and this bit could be substituted for any universal 9v adapter)  i.e this would be the input voltage for the actual charger unit (the grey bit).  Unfortunately no-where does it state the output voltage of this part (the bit that actually plugs into the units and does the charging).

I dont have a multimeter so have not measured the output voltage of the rechargable batteries supplied with the unit but I would best guess they are 1.2v Ni-MH (AG13 / LR44 non rechargeable button cells are 1.5v).  

Continues next post

EDIT: Ok - given my estimate that the batteries supplied are 1.2v (anyone with a multimeter want to check this out and give us the actual output?) then I used the thinking that I can slow charge at this rate i.e. 1.2v input charge.  The actual official charger may be higher for faster charging but I kept to 1.2v for safety.

Given the above I recharged one of my units (didnt want to screw them all up) for 30 mins only at 1.2v.  This did recharge the unit a bit and I think it should work (may take a long time to charge and there is no way of knowing when they are charged or prevent overcharging though!). As I was unsure of the long term effects on the batteries and the fact that Ni-MH button cells are not easy to get hold of, I decided not to go down this route and I decided to just use standard AG13/LR44 batteries until I get a charger unit from Mr B.

My advice would be - if in doubt (or you cannot afford to replace the unit if it all goes wrong) - use normal batteries until you can get a charger !! (but keep the rechargeables safe).

ps. this site has chargers in stock ! (french though) http://www.tete-en-lair.com/index.php?catid=1_51_53
edit - and spare batteries yey !![/u]
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

eggy900

« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2005, 06:25:41 PM »
might try them out, they've also got the evo2 kit listed but none in stock, if anyone gets the charger can you tell us how good they are

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2005, 08:48:07 PM »
wow holy crap that recharger is expensive! i hope somewhere else will have it for less...

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2005, 12:07:40 PM »
I wouldent say expencive... In marseille (where I'm rigth now) is expencive, my finesse moons was 40€ each, and if I'd buy Evo 4 here it would be 25€ each, thats expencive.
 Even in Finland it's cheaper.
Maybe I order Evo 4 (and charger) through internet... Depends if my card works in internet...

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2005, 07:31:42 PM »
man that's expensive, i got my finesses from Firetoys which is 20 pounds (about 30 euros). the evo4 kit is 11 pounds (16 euros). if you have the means of ordering off the internet i suggest checking them out, www.firetoys.co.uk

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2005, 09:18:59 PM »
Yup...

Thats why I'm buying only diabs there (only 'cause I've allready ordered them  :( )  and every other prob i'm gonna order through internet.

Hoop

« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2005, 08:53:32 PM »
Alright, I'm going to say this upfront... I have two questions that are probably answered somewhere in this post.  I honestly have read most of it before, and I don't feel like reading the whole thing again.  Sorry Norbi.  1.  I want to get the light kits for finesse, but I am in the US.  Are the kits upgraded from the old damage-prone style, and what is up with the rechargable batteries issue?  Or should I just go with the vegas?
2.  Does anyone know about switching out the hubs in diabglos?  I have a few that are cracked and I'm wondering what I might be able to switch them with.  (compatable diabolos)  
Thank you for your understanding.

bruce

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2005, 03:54:15 AM »
I am in Singapore and I have just purchased the Finesse Light kit - Green with a green G2 from firetoys. I practised with it in total darkness and performed at a local night club and am very pleased with it. I have dropped it a number of times - only in practice :wink: and that was just to prove to myself that it wont break :wink:

Quote from: Hoop
I want to get the light kits for finesse, but I am in the US.  Are the kits upgraded from the old damage-prone style.

Hoop

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2005, 04:34:50 AM »
Cool, I really want to get some.  What is the deal with the charger though?  Do I have to buy a voltage converter to use it in the US?

eggy900

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2005, 01:27:57 PM »
looks like MB are releasing them on october 1st according to firetoys and if you plan to charge them use a 4.5V positive adapter, 9v is for when you charge both sides using the MB charger adapter splitter thing

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=982&forum=4

It's all on there so check it out

Paul

« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »
They said Tuesday the 1st but the 1st of October is a Saturday, so I figured that they meant Tuesday the 4th of October
Peace

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2005, 04:46:51 PM »
hey, steve got a little shoutout on there!

anyway, Hoop brought something up i hadnt thought about....how are we americans going to deal with the power adapter? obviously UK and US are on different electricity standards... i should just go find a 4.5v adapter..

eggy900

« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2005, 05:44:22 PM »
Us brits have to get a euro to british pin adapter, so we're at disadvantage too

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2005, 11:55:59 PM »
im guessing it uses a euro cable and the rest of the world is just gonna have to deal with it.

Yoda

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, the difference about european and american pins is not very big is it? (I live in brazil, but I have bought some stuff, and the maximum I had to do was to file a little bit of some pins)...
The main "problem" there would be is that (again, if I am not mistaken) the europeans use 50Hz Vca, and americans use 60Hz Vca, so in the charger would be  some seconds faster lol...

[]s
Lucas Machado

seán_

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2005, 11:02:07 PM »
bit of interesting information on the firetoys forum about evo 4s

basically boils down to
WARNING to those who are sourcing their own chargers, although on the back of the packet the LED kits come in, it says you need a 9V charger, this is what plugs into the splitter. SO if you are plugging directly into the kit you actually want a centre +ve jack giving out 4.5V. If you do plug a 9V directly into your kits the batteries will get very hot and explode in about a minute!!!

mumble mumble inept babache unsafe packaging advice, could have burtn steves house down do they think I'm made of money etc etc mumble mumble

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal