Author Topic: 3d low to High  (Read 3475 times)

Mick Lunzer

3d low to High
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:58:30 AM »
I can do 3d low and 3d high., but I can't seem to make the transition from low to high. The rhythm and timing seem to be off.

When I see people do it in videos, they seem to "just do it" but I don't seem to be able to copy the motions. Does any one have any tips? If this is already on the forum could someone direct me to it. Thanks
-Mick

dave from the grave

• VotW Contributor
Re: 3d low to High
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
not sure on your shuffle type but its easiest to go into async and try and pop one out at chin level and then one at head height. the third throw is a full 3 high throw. the trick is to get them as vertical as possible without them hitting. honestly get a good 10 tries at it and it will be solid.

this is all based on how solid both shuffles are. i mean 100 catches of each should do it depending on which you find easiest. so if you find high easy then bang out enough catches so its nice and relaxed and dropped it. or run  a good amount of low otts then pop them up.

it is very important that before manipulating a shuffle the base shape, speed and timing of it have to be spot on. otherwise you are correcting a shuffle that hasnt started yet. (yes its hard).

so to conclude: solid shuffle nice and even, pop up verticaly ( but still in an arc obviously) then carry on in three high.

hope it helps

davefromthegrave
Beware of the super secret guild of shadow spooners!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
Took me ~5 years of working on it before low to high finally clicked and became solid. I had a solid high and low pattern but no consistent connection from low to high. For me the solution was concentrating on slowly making an async pattern larger and larger, wider and wider, and not panicing. Driving down with the right hand also helps to stabilize the pattern while you lift with the left. A high pattern doesn't have to be that much higher than a large low pattern. The trick is just to enlarge it past a critical point where you can slip into a high pattern. Once you have a moment with only one diabolo on the string it should come easily. So, if I think about going from a low to a 'medium' pattern then I don't panic and I make a graceful transition.

Bits and pieces from what Arjan, Jacob Sharpe, and Duncan showed and told me all came together to help me. Thanks guys. I don't know why, but this was a hangup of mine for a long time.

High to low seemed simpler to me. If you just get a high pattern relatively low and in perfect alignment and control and then you should be able to just lower it. If your low pattern is solid enough then you should be able to deal with whatever comes your way.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »
If you do sync the easiest way is the way Yabe does it imho. This is how I do it too, only took a few days of practicing and is nicelooking too:

Ryo Yabe promo

Around 6:20

Step 1. Do hard sync

Step 2. gradually lift left hand (usually takes just about 3 throws)

Step 3. ??

Step 4. Profit ;)

^No huge flailing async motions here haha. Important to think about keeping the right hand going strong even though the diabolos go higher (it's easy for the right hand to stop moving or to move slower/less powerful, this is bad).

Mick Lunzer

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:25:40 AM »
Thanks a lot guys, this helps. I feel like I have been stuck on this way to long. I am excited to work on it with the new suggestions. I will let you know how it goes.
-Mick

SebiHausi

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »
i can do the 3 low shuffle for about 30-50 catches now, its pretty solid, the only problem is that i cant do the correction that good, and it gets boring after some time doing the same stuff over and over again.
so i would like to learn high aswell now. but i really hate these starts where i have to throw in one or two diabolos, because im not that good at spinning them up. also i dont really get into high then.
so i thought of learning low to high. i only have one problem i throw up the first diabolo about head hight, but then when i throw up the second one i cant really control where it goes, it just crashs with the other diabolo most of the time, any good tips?

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »
how about learning a proper shuffle for well over 200 otts before going to high?
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

SebiHausi

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
well yea as i said, its boring imo to do the same stuff all the time. and i think that it doesnt matter that much if i try to get into high when the shuffle is nice at the beginning or when its nice after 200 catches.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal