Author Topic: Seven months and still failing  (Read 6196 times)

Purincake

Seven months and still failing
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:36:15 AM »
Hey everyone, name's Ed, and i've been diaboloing since early february this year, and i can say that...i'm still pretty bad. I (kinda) know all the basics: grinds, suicides, trapezes, suns, accelerations, ect.

The only problems i have is with any other trick more advanced then that. I joined this site in hopes that i might get better at the tricks i currently fail at.

That's about it, i kinda fail right now, so i really can't contribute anything except my annoying pleas for help. Thanks for reading.

Peace out!

NiekG

Re: Seven months and still failing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »
You might wanna add what it is you're having problems with, otherwise we can't really help you out. xD
Meh,

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
practice 'till your butt falls off
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

syyyr

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »
do you have any friend, who also juggles diabolo? maybe he can help

btw what tricks are learning?

Purincake

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
You might wanna add what it is you're having problems with, otherwise we can't really help you out. xD

Oh, right. Well, currently, i'm wanting to learn to excalibur, infinite suicide, genocide and the monorail. Like some people (from what i've seen here), those tricks are the ones i have the most trouble with. Well...not so much the monorail as i just gotta learn on exiting the backside without using the cats cradle.

But the other stuff, i have a few problems with, especially the excalibur. I've almost gotten it before, but the diabolo just never goes upright. I've seen tutorials on it, but i can't seem to get it right. And with the infinite suicide, the stick just goes to fast for me to get the timing right.

The genocide, however, my aim is just off, but i've gotten lucky a few times.

do you have any friend, who also juggles diabolo? maybe he can help

btw what tricks are learning?

Friends who diabolo? I wish. The only person i know whose ever even gotten spinning (besides myself) was one of my teachers at school. I have a friend online who used to play, but they're overseas, so that doesn't really help.

BaHaMuT

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »
About genocides........

If you throw up well the diabolo you shouldn't have problems with genocide. I'm very sure you're not having problems with the aim but your mindset.

Instead of trying to do the trick, DO IT. That mindset helps you. (I'm telling you this because I started diaboloing 2 months ago and I have spent the last 5 weeks learning infinite suicides and genocides)

So let's consider the last 3 weeks I've spent practicing genocides: In the first 3 days I practiced the rhythm on how to do the right backside, I did it well but failed at throwing up, the diabolo got tangled or I threw it too far. I took 2 days finding the appropiate rhythm to do this.

The other 2 weeks (including the current week) I practiced catching the diabolo in the string. Well, believe it or not I failed more than one complete week in catching. HORRIBLE, I never got the diabolo in the string until I found out that trying to do the trick was completely USELESS.

1st week

Day 1 and 2: 1 genocide out of 400 tries more less.

Day 3 - 4:     3/50

Day 5,6 and 7th: 0/1000+ (horrible)

Second week:

Day 1 and 2: 2/70
Day 3 and 4: 0/70
Day 5: 7/10 (I decided to practice in series of 10) (Yes, this day I convinced myself to stop trying to do the trick but doing it)

From day 6 until the day before yestarday (5 or 6 days more less) I got sick so I had to rest in bed. Yesterday I tried again the trick and VOILA!!!! I did it well most of the times.  Now I need more practice on the third phase of the trick: Catching the stick and exiting the trick !!!!!

By the way, don't worry if you've been practicing 7 months but failed. Everybody here learn and practice at different rates. Don't surrender. And the most important thing: ENJOY IT !!!!!

good luck.
Have you ever seen the light?

Icebox

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »
I got sick so I had to rest in bed. Yesterday I tried again the trick and VOILA!!!! I did it well most of the times.

There's the real advice. Taking breaks is a good way to learn a trick. It lets your body reset, so you don't get stuck in a rut when you start messing up. Even just 15 minutes has always done me a world of good and set me back on a good path. So if you've been diaboloing nonstop, take a break and come back later, then see how you do.

SebiHausi

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »
about genocides
i couldnt do the normal genocide for some time at first. my tip, learn the mini genocide first, its much easier to catch the diabolo in a mini geno than in a normal geno. once you got your mini geno pretty solid, you will learn the normal geno pretty fast, took me about 10 attempts to land it, then after 2 or 3 days i got it pretty much all the time.
it might help aswell if you learn tomicide at first, but i am not sure about that.

about excalibur
the hard thing about excalibur is learning the chinese whip acceleration. if you can do the chinese whip acceleration with spinning the diabolo up a lot, you wont have that much trouble to get into excalibur. i would practise this at first, if you can do it right, try excalibur ;).

about infinite suicide
yes this trick is one of the harder one diabolo tricks at first, i think its one of the 3 1d tricks i had to practise the longest time. start it from a wrap, its really the easiest way, once you got the motion and you can do about 5 rounds, you will get it a few days later. i can really recomend you tim ellis' tutorial, its pretty good.
if your stick flys to fast, try to slow down your motion, its especially important to slow down your motion when your stick is over the diabolo.

about manural
this trick is pretty easy if you can do over the arm and reverse catches.
after the trick when you have the left reverse catch just cross your hands and throw the diabolo up, or change sticks, or do a geno out or do a magic knot exit.

thomazz

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 03:28:24 PM »
about excalibur, when i was learning excalibur, i didn't get it it completely vertical too. if you can get it nearly vertical try practicing a basic trick, with time you will be able to get it more and more vertical

There's the real advice. Taking breaks is a good way to learn a trick. It lets your body reset, so you don't get stuck in a rut when you start messing up. Even just 15 minutes has always done me a world of good and set me back on a good path. So if you've been diaboloing nonstop, take a break and come back later, then see how you do.
really true! if you're practicing a trick and it works you can keep doing it. but at a time it will go worse and worse, at that point just stop for a couple of hours and than try again it wil go better and otherwise you will just get frustrated

Rickr

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
it might help aswell if you learn tomicide at first, but i am not sure about that.
tomicide is a lot harder than genocide, so i woulnd't try that first :)

finesse

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 06:57:10 PM »
tomicide is a lot harder than genocide, so i woulnd't try that first :)

I learnt tomicide before genocide, mini genocide and infinite suicide because i found it easier than the other ones ;)

☺☺☺☺

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
the tomicide is maby easier than the geno or mini-geno, but the most usefull exit of the tomicide is the mini-geno and so i dont really think it makes sens to learn it first!¿
♦♣♥♠

Purincake

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 04:43:57 AM »
Well, kinda an update for help. I got my second diabolo in the mail, and i've been trying to get the shuffle started, but it keeps messing up. Any help?

sokkerking12345

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 05:02:44 AM »
Well, kinda an update for help. I got my second diabolo in the mail, and i've been trying to get the shuffle started, but it keeps messing up. Any help?

duuuuuuuuuuude. you need to focus on basic one diabolo tricks right now. my shuffle is barely consistent and that took me two months. i still cant correct (wide axels) but thats not the point. you need to get better at one diabolo, get some basic suicides down, learn more about the feel of one diabolo, and explore a little bit. if grinds trapezes and suns are the extent of your ability, then youre still fairly new.

btw, how much do you practice? cuz ive been at it for 7 months and i practiced ~10 hours a day during the summer. now its like two, and i do mostly just basics, and i fool around, because im busy with school work, but i try new tricks on the weekends some times.
"A good genocide is always the answer."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal