Author Topic: Favorite Sticks  (Read 8942 times)

iHelix

Favorite Sticks
« on: July 23, 2005, 05:28:08 PM »
What Are Everyone's Favorite Sticks.  Too many varieties to make into a poll.  What Brand, Material, and Why?

Mattias

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 08:06:27 PM »
For me it's a draw between Henry Alu and Carbon Fibre. Bad thing about carbon is that they tend to brake, although I like the 42 cm kind and also the ligthness of them, another bad thing is that they eat string, but that is easily fixed with a drill.

The alus are more sturdy but I dont like the metaly feel and hardness of them. Heh, now that I think about it the Carbon is my favorite, no tie here...Shame about the breakage though...
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 05:20:13 PM »
Henrys aluminum. They work great.... does hurt sometimes when I do a 2d suicide real fast and catch it, but not that badly. Also, the sticks can handle the abuse of hitting things from a super fast genocide.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Chiok

• Donator
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 10:22:52 PM »
Quote from: Dracodragon
Also, the sticks can handle the abuse of hitting things from a super fast genocide.
Yeah, but your hubs can't.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Matt_

• Donator
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 11:58:02 PM »
Quote from: Dracodragon
Also, the sticks can handle the abuse of hitting things from a super fast genocide.

yeah, they handle it by absorbing the blow and bending. one of my sticks is like a freakin banana by now :(

my favorite sticks are Henry's alum, they are small and comfy on my hands, they are extremely weak (not like they break...they just bend). they are also great for the "infinite" mini genocide (antonin's trick...the LH BW to mini genocide, etc etc)...

i like the Babache Xtreme sticks a lot, the grips are really nice and the string system is good...but they are quite thick and are not so great for the mini genocide or grinding (except with evo1)

korppu

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 12:46:24 PM »
I like henry´s aluminum sticks the most.  I just bought mr.babache energy sticks and I think they are quite nice but maybe just a bit too flexible. I hope they won´t  break too soon.  Does anyone have experiences with energy sticks breaking?  can they take a beating or do they snap easily?

martijn

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:59:57 PM »
I use Henry's aluminium now (the short ones, ofcourse), and I like them, but it's too bad that the ends get sharp edges when they drop on rough surfaces (and they do.. :( ) So my string breaks all the time at those ends. I also like carbon sticks, but it's a shame that they break so often. Is there a way to cut the end part of, so you don't waste that much string? That the knot is inside the sticks, en not at the handle. I would like to try this sometime... Has someone tried it?

I really want to know how the Energy and the X-treme sticks play. I want to try (and buy) them at the EJC this year. I hope MB sells them, cause if not... :evil:

Mattias

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 01:47:29 PM »
Quote from: Martijn
I use Henry's aluminium now (the short ones, ofcourse), and I like them, but it's too bad that the ends get sharp edges when they drop on rough surfaces (and they do.. :( ) So my string breaks all the time at those ends. I also like carbon sticks, but it's a shame that they break so often. Is there a way to cut the end part of, so you don't waste that much string? That the knot is inside the sticks, en not at the handle. I would like to try this sometime... Has someone tried it?

I really want to know how the Energy and the X-treme sticks play. I want to try (and buy) them at the EJC this year. I hope MB sells them, cause if not... :evil:

Yeah, as I mentioned you just need to drill through the "knot-stopping" part at the beginning of the "tube". This will allow the knot to slide in and be stopped at the end of the stick instead. You can get the knot out by using a pair of pliers and pulling it out at the end of the stick or put your mouth to the end of the sticks and do a rapid powerful blow, the knot should fly out in the other end, you might have to poke the knot with a needle before you blow to make sure it is not stuck. I could bring a modded stick to the EJC if you wish, it is broken(ofcourse...damn carbon) but you'll get the idea.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

martijn

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 03:45:59 PM »
Quote from: Mattias
Yeah, as I mentioned you just need to drill through the "knot-stopping" part at the beginning of the "tube". This will allow the knot to slide in and be stopped at the end of the stick instead.

I tried it myself today. I discovered I still had one carbon stick left, so I've just cut the whole end of, to see if the tube is big enough for a knot. It works for the knot, but the problem now is that I can get the knot out. It's stuck, so I need some kind of needle to push it through (I'm too lazy to find some :P).

I don't think I'll buy carbon sticks again. The ends of these sticks are aluminium, so if they drop on rough surfaces, you unfortunately have the same problem as with the alu sticks (I think).

Does anyone know how the ends of the new MB sticks (Energy, Xtreme) will look like if they smash on to rough surfaces? Same like Henry's aluminium?

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 04:42:34 PM »
I use Henrys aluminium sticks, for a few really important reasons:

- I like the feel of them, a combination of the length, weight, size and material of the handles.
- They look like "pro" equipment... you know, diabolos look enough like childs toys as it is, having shiny metal equipment looks cool (which is also a big part of the reason I use weight kits on my finesse G2).
- Unlike wooden sticks, I never get blisters on my hands when using them for a long time.
- They are very simple, just the aluminium stick with some foam. Nothing really can go wrong with them if you look after them and don't slam them into hard, rough floors. Other sticks have bits stuckk on here and screwed on there... I'd never really want to trust some other types.
- They are really easy to remove old string and attach the new string.
- They only use up about 2cm more string than you actually use for controlling the diabolo, unlike carbon sticks. This means that if your string does, for any reason, happen to snap right at the stick you can re-tie it and only lose that 1cm, and you hardly know the difference.
- Finally, if or when I perform my one handstick and diabolo routine, the aluminium sticks are the easiest to gimmick so that it looks like the string has snapped... and for the end of the routine they are the easiest for me to dismantle entirely while the diabolo is in a stick grind.

Why would anyone use anything else?
Luke

Chiok

• Donator
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 06:09:52 PM »
Quote from: Luke Burrage
- They look like "pro" equipment... you know, diabolos look enough like childs toys as it is, having shiny metal equipment looks cool (which is also a big part of the reason I use weight kits on my finesse G2).
I feel the same way about 4panel  beachball beanbags.  Does make you look harder with some metal, especially in vertical.  Although Ebay advertises everything is "professioanl"...

Quote from: Luke Burrage
- They only use up about 2cm more string than you actually use for controlling the diabolo, unlike carbon sticks. This means that if your string does, for any reason, happen to snap right at the stick you can re-tie it and only lose that 1cm, and you hardly know the difference.
I am behind this 100%.  I'm the tightest bastard on Earth when it comes to having to buy new things, so I will use a piece of string till it is a) far far far too old or b) has snapped so many times that it is just too short now.  I leave some excess at the left handstick because it wears most near the right and often snaps there so you shuffle it along a bit (if that makes sense).

Also for people that are experiencing this snapping of string (Tijn) after you've tied your knot, before you pull it through, cut off a bit of sticky tape (~15mm) and wrap it around the string near the knot.  Just enough to cover the string but not too much to make the string too wide to fit through the hole.  Then just thread it all though so you have a bit of tape poking out the end and that will act as a cover for the string at that vunerable area.  The tape will wear instead of the string and when it does you just replace the tape instead.  Simple!

Chiok

Paul

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 07:44:34 PM »
I've had carbon fibre, Henry's alu and babache extreme. The carbon fibre was cool but I've broke 2 sets of these, so I switched to Henrys Alu. THese were great and my favourite for a good while, because of the same reasons Luke mentioned. I recently got some Xtreme jobbies and I really like how light these are. The thickiness isnt a problem for me, and I really like the feel of them, plus hey dont do banana impressions after a few whacks and such. Xtreme all the way for me!
Peace

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 07:49:05 PM »
Haha! Yeah, my aluminums bent quite a few times. I just bend them back. Hey, it works, but well, after a while I can imagine the stick looking like a zigzag from all the bends, and corrected bends. Also, i have teflon hubs for my henrys, so they can handle the alu sticks. Never tried any other "pro" sticks though, so, I dont quite know the feel of those ones.

martijn

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »
Quote from: xfirebladex
Also for people that are experiencing this snapping of string (Tijn) after you've tied your knot, before you pull it through, cut off a bit of sticky tape (~15mm) and wrap it around the string near the knot.  Just enough to cover the string but not too much to make the string too wide to fit through the hole.  Then just thread it all though so you have a bit of tape poking out the end and that will act as a cover for the string at that vunerable area.  The tape will wear instead of the string and when it does you just replace the tape instead.  Simple!

I've heard of that, I tried it. It works. But it takes me at least 5-10 minutes to tape it... very annoying if you have to do that every time you replace your string. Often I wrap to much tape on it, so it doesn't fit trough the hole. Ah well, I'm just lazy I guess :P

Alex

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 08:34:42 PM »
I'm using carbon fiber right now.  And I want to know, what do you people do to these sticks?  I've never broken my pair, had it for half a year now, and I'm not exactly gentle with them.  Before I got them, I broke three sets of wooden sticks in a row with just chinese whipping.  But with the carbon's, no problem at all.  Maybe I just got lucky, and my sticks are harder for some reason?

Mattias

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 10:34:39 PM »
The Carbons are very irrational when it comes to that. They can get cracks by doing a whip catch and get through a bending competition in a strongman game without a dent, guess you were lucky. I am starting to miss my carbons, but to expensive for not knowing if they are going to get through the first week.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Chiok

• Donator
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 11:24:13 PM »
Quote from: Martijn
I've heard of that, I tried it. It works. But it takes me at least 5-10 minutes to tape it... very annoying if you have to do that every time you replace your string.
It is a tad fidderly, especially if your hands are a lil sweaty and sticky tape isn't sticky anymore.  But it's cheaper than string, so I shall carry the torch!

Alex - What are you whipping?  A wall?  I've never snapped a pair of wooden sticks, broke at the hole, but it's a thin hole.  A pair of handy sticks broke, but that was at the pretty weak joint.

Chiok

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 05:50:42 PM »
Hey everyone. I just modified my henries alu sticks with some tape on the foam, but I also just got another idea.

Well, since the metal sometimes bends, what if you tempered(put the metal over fire until its red hot, then dip it in cold water) part of the metal? Has anyone tried this. Also, will it mess up the sticks. I am not too sure about this, but if it works, we may looking at a whole new modification to the perfect handstick. I am going to try this after I do some research, so Ill get back to you guys if it was a success or not.

edit, maybe ill try this once I have more info. Here is what I need to know about the alu sticks.

What type of aluminum are they made out of? becuase when i researched tempering aluminum, i see different types of aluminum, like 6061 aluminum and stuff, so there may be side effects if I do not know this stuff.

Chiok

• Donator
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 06:22:59 PM »
A nice idea, but I don't think entirely possible.  The whole idea of tempering or case hardening a metal all depends on the carbon composition within the metal.  When you heat treat a steel for example, you disperse the carbon inside the structure of the steel to get nice uniform small crystaline structure which when you quench and then temper hopefully remains so it's nice and hard (but also more brittle).

Now I'm not certain, but I doubt the aluminium in Henrys sticks will have enough, if any carbon in to heat treat with.  And I don't know if heat treating with coke (that's industrial heat treating coke, not the branded drink or the white stuff {though it does come in white}) will help either.

Plus you'd probably loose the foam handle in the process.  The only treatments that I can think of that might help are adonizing (which can come in a variety of nifty colours) which would probably only improve surface hardness or use a higher grade aluminium (6xxx series or higher).

I'm not entirely sure, but if you're willing, give it a go.  Someone else might be able to back this up or debunk it.

HTH
Chiok

Bazz

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 07:50:46 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Find below a couple of pictures (hopefully?) of my new favourite sticks. I just made them a couple of days ago.
Thay are made from 8mm carbon fibre tube, 330mm long, in the end of each is epoxied  a M6 nylon number plate bolt (Ground down and drilled with a 2mm drill bit) the handle is first covered with a piece of 130mm long, 8mm inside diameter rubber water pipe, from a car parts shop. The outer covering on the handle is 2mm neoprene wet suit material (UV reactive), hand stitched on.
Total cost per pair £ 3.50 :wink:

I used to use another pair I made but they where too heavy, too long and too thick, they also hurt when they hit you in the head :?
The new sticks are soo light and seem to make every thing that much easier.

Dont Buy em, Build em, that way you will get what you want and if you break em, it wont break the bank to make a new pair :P

Bazz :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal