Author Topic: Favorite Sticks  (Read 8936 times)

mitchelljuggles

Favorite Sticks
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 01:29:15 AM »
Ive recently updated from wooden to Henry's carbon, and like each for different reasons.  Ive broken a few sticks in my day and worry about the carbons not being able to take the pressure.  I once borrowed a pair of chinese made wooden sticks.  The wood was so lite yet strong.  

The main reason i like the carbon is because of the handle.  The wooden ones used to slip out of my hands (when ever i get frustrated with a trick i run my fingers through my hair. The product i used to use in my hair used to lubricate my hands - causing me to loose my grip. Yes, i changed hair product)

Mitchell  8)

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 01:39:34 AM »
Heh, I hate when I get frustrated, then if I do over the head orbits, everything gets all slippery. Its not the sticks, but the string that gets slippery from my sweat and oils on my neck.

Btw, I dont think that tempering the aluminums is really a good idea anymore. Well, maybe we someday will find a indestructible, super set of handstick. :) (heh, what if they made titanium handsticks, nearly unbreakable, and also flexible.)
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Matt_

• Donator
Favorite Sticks
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 10:45:39 AM »
man, i cant stand flexible handsticks, it's gotta be firm..and skinny. henry's alum are damn near perfect...i can only think of 2 improvements.

1. teflon top cone. that way, chinese whips (and excalibur) wont result in so many snapped strings as a result of the rough aluminum.
2. cheaper prices so when you bend em you can just get a new one :p

eplea

re:Bazz
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 01:06:30 AM »
Nice sticks.  Are those kite or arrow shafts? I've been using my own sticks for about 6 weeks.

I found some carbon arrow shafts with a threaded insert that enables switching arrowheads.  Went to the local machinist shop, found some aluminium bolts with the same thread and had them drilled with different sized holes (I use a couple different string diameters and the smaller diameter is difficult to knot so as not to slip through a 2mm hole).  Makes changing strings a breeze as I normally carry 1/2 dozen in my diabolo bag already mounted through the bolts.  From what I can gather they work similar to the new MB sticks.

All said and done I think they cost me around $10CAN/pair.

Will try to get a few pics of them to post.

Bazz

Re: re:Bazz
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 09:20:24 PM »
Quote from: eplea
Nice sticks.  Are those kite or arrow shafts? I've been using my own sticks for about 6 weeks.

Hi eplea,
They are made using 8mm carbon kite spar. I thought about using arrow shafts but this was easier for me to get hold of.

I used nylon bolts in the ends; drilled like yours but they are epoxied in place, I found aluminium ends a bit rough on the string and diabolo's.
It is still very easy to change string, and because the knot ends up just behind the bolt I only use 145cm of string each time rather than the 2 meters used on the Henry's sticks?.

I may try some arrow shafts with screw in tips some time.

Bazz :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal