Author Topic: Chinese Yoyo Vs. Diabolo?  (Read 11288 times)

Vinkent

Chinese Yoyo Vs. Diabolo?
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »
For about 7 years I've been practicing on and off but only with a Chinese Yo-yo, I'm getting a diabolo and I would like to ask a few questions:

How do you tell how fast the diabolo is going? For the Chinese Yo-yo I just listen to the sound and when it hits a certain point I start the trick. There are no grooves in the diabolo so do you just judge by instinct?

Is there any difference in performing tricks?

That_Guy

Re: Chinese Yoyo Vs. Diabolo?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
I'm still very new to this, but since I got a Finesse that is a solid color, I just took a Sharpie and put come black dots on the body of the diab, about 3/4" in size.... I put 2 on each side of the diab.  I figure that it's a bit of a crutch, but it helps me to see the speed better.  After a while I'm sure I will not need them anymore.
"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind."

seán_

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
I tell how fast it's going by combination of experience, sight and feel.
I think a decent diabolo and good string means a diabolo keeps its spin and stability so you might be able to do moves without worrying about the diabolo needing to be spinning really all the time.

In theory all the tricks should be transferable (except a few freakish tricks like stick in cup
UFO grinds) 

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
Well if you want to get close to the sound feel you might consider getting a bearing diabolo with single bearing. Now with that you get to listen the sound and hear how fast it's spinning. ;)
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Vinkent

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »
Well if you want to get close to the sound feel you might consider getting a bearing diabolo with single bearing. Now with that you get to listen the sound and hear how fast it's spinning. ;)

Do you know any good Diabolos with this? and will it cause a difference to my tricks if I do it?

sokkerking12345

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:47:26 AM »
Do you know any good Diabolos with this?

-__- i think he was being sarcastic. but the best bearing diabolos are sundia flys. I have one, but I don't really judge the speed of it by sound.

will it cause a difference to my tricks if I do it?
Yes, bearing diabolos have a much different feel from fixed axel diabolos, as the axel is free spinning, and thus will not propel itself along the string, making the balance much different.

But anyway, if you can look at the diabolo and not see any deformities caused by a lack of speed, then you can pretty much confidently perform the majority of tricks. Diabolos take a while to lose speed, and with decent string, won't decelerate too much during a trick. If you're desperate, you can do the thing with marking the cups. ( I did that when I got my very first toy diabolo, several months ago.)
"A good genocide is always the answer."

Vinkent

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:09:48 AM »
-__- i think he was being sarcastic. but the best bearing diabolos are sundia flys. I have one, but I don't really judge the speed of it by sound.
Yes, bearing diabolos have a much different feel from fixed axel diabolos, as the axel is free spinning, and thus will not propel itself along the string, making the balance much different.

But anyway, if you can look at the diabolo and not see any deformities caused by a lack of speed, then you can pretty much confidently perform the majority of tricks. Diabolos take a while to lose speed, and with decent string, won't decelerate too much during a trick. If you're desperate, you can do the thing with marking the cups. ( I did that when I got my very first toy diabolo, several months ago.)
Oh >.< thanks
Which would you reccomend Bearing diabolos or axel diabolos

Mr.D

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »
Bearings give longer spins, less accelerating and it will never wrap up the string - it is easier for learning the first basic 1d tricks. Fixed axled diabolos give you a better feeling and hence better control (imo), soundless play and it's easier to use for multi-diabolo play (because of the better feeling and control).
Preferably you should test one/two of each and try them out. :)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »
I was being half serious with the sound but let's put the sound aside.  You have big decision to make between bearing and normal. Bearing diabolo is much better at some tricks but makes others difficult. Vice versa, normal axle is better at some but some things are difficult. I believe most of diabolo jugglers have both but use the one which supports more their style. Please read what Mr. D and sokkerking12345 said just before this post. They have given valuable advice for you.

Since you're just starting out with diabolo here's a list of suggestions. These are all talked about in different topics here on the board, if you want more details please read the topics about what diabolos one should choose to get. In short you want full 5" diabolo.

Normal Axles: Finesse, Circus, Taibolo, Sundia Sun
Bearing diabolos: Sundia Shining 1x, Sundia Shining 3x or Sundia Fly

Also now that we are on topic of diabolo versus diabolo we need to bring out two models. These might be also in your area of interest since you have done chinese yo-yo earlier.

Monobolo, which includes both diabolo and chinese yo-yo axles:

And your Chinese yo-yo with bearing axle.

sokkerking12345

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:44:19 PM »
I would recommend getting a fixed axel first and then a bearing later after you start doing complex string tricks and cradles and such. I use my two finesses (one of the best fixed axel diabolos) for nearly everything, and sometimes use my fly (one of the best bearing diabolos) for learning new tricks and for doing hard cradles.
"A good genocide is always the answer."

4leek24

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 04:32:59 AM »
my first diabolo was a fly, then a sundia shining 3x. When i got my first sun, i had to re learn almost all my tricks, where my friend who started on a fixed axel had no problem with bearings.

Vinkent

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
I read somewhere that you can remove the bearing on the fly if you want to, is this true? (I ordered a fly)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:41:55 AM »
Yea, they sell fixed axle kits for Fly. But you're better of buying another diabolo. It's quite much work always to switch kits.

Krazy Kat

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »
One more thing I learned on judging speed is that it's much easier with multi-color diabolos, like the Babache Harlequin, or Higgins Millennium, Sundia or the only triple I've seen with multi color cups are the Sundia Fly, and Zeekio Triple Threat.

The colors blur together in different ways at different speeds, and make it easier to judge speed.

jordak

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 02:50:26 AM »
when I was in 11th grade (I think) my mother pressured me to give my Chinese yoyo away to a kid who asked to borrow it ("oh, just let him have it"). I'm currently the highest bidder for one on e-bay almost identical to the one I used to have (it's what I learned on). I'm also hoping to get a new phoenix in the next few months (so I can finally start learning 2d) and some new string (taibolo white for the value).

back ot, you can generally judge speed through the feel (stability etc...) of the diabolo. If you need to, you can do a brief stick grind to test the speed and this should make it really obvious how fast it's going.
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

Vinkent

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 02:21:22 AM »
Yeah I thought it'd be hard to tell but it really isn't... right now I have one triple bearing and two taibolos.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal