Author Topic: Gear: MFP, Ryo and Matt  (Read 6566 times)

iHelix

Gear: MFP, Ryo and Matt
« on: July 27, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »
I know that the MFP use G2's for diabolos, what I am curious as to what type of sticks and string they use.  I know that it varies player to player, so if any of you who post here can tell me what you and ur buddies use id really appreciate it.

Also, what equiptment do Ryo and Matt Hall use?  I know Matt posts here, and will probably respond to this, but if anyone knows what Ryo uses, lemme know.

Just trying to see what the best use!

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Gear: MFP, Ryo and Matt
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »
The MFP do not all use Finesses. Some use Circuses (with plastic hubs), some use Finesses, some use both. Most use Babache white or yellow string now because they get it for free from Babache. Previously many used Henrys yellow or orange. Trash uses Henrys white. Some use Babache extreme sticks, some use Henrys Carbon sticks, some use Henrys aluminum sticks, some use or at least have used home made sticks.

To the best of my knowledge in terms of diabolos:
Priam: Circuses and Finesse
JiBe: Circus and Finesse
Baptiste: Circus and Finesse
Antonin: Finesse
Eric: Finesse and Circus
Vux: Finesse
Tony: Circus
Trash: Circus (but Finesse in past)
Remi: Finesse and Circus

Ryo likes Yoho jumbo diabolos (not the ratcheted ones) and Henrys Circuses with plastic hubs. He uses Henrys carbon sticks with Henrys yellow string (usually).

Matt Hall likes Henrys with the wide plastic hubs. He uses Henrys yellow string and Henrys aluminum sticks.

There is no "best" diabolo, sticks, or string.

Henrys Circus (with plastic hubs), Finesses, Yohos/Diabigs, Henrys carbon sticks, Henrys aluminum sticks, the Babache extreme sticks, and Henrys and Babache string are all top products.

It is not the gear, it is the time and creativity put into practice that have made these diabolists good.

There's some good discussion of all this scattered all over the forum. In particular, maybe this poll of favourite diabolos will be of interest:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=422

Don't forget that your list is only a small selection of the great diabolists diaboloing these days. Also don't forget about the many other great diabolists who never grace the internet. The world of diabolo is quickly expanding.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 07:30:34 PM »
wow Sean, very informative post, I dont know how anyone can really add to that :P

iHelix

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 09:41:15 PM »
Thanks very much sean.  I know that there is no "best" diabolo, and that buying nice gear wont make me amazing.  I was just curious as to what these guys use.

Also, I know that these are not the only amazing diabolists in the world, and I should have put that at the end of my post.  These are just the ones I have been exposed to the most, and thus asked about.

Priam

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 01:06:38 AM »
Other kinds of diabolo are also used by other pro diabolists :
- Donald Grant (UK) and Jonas Zeller (CH) : Renegade
- Lena Köhn, Alexander Xelo and Tom Future (Thomas Furtner, all german) : ultra-light circus (not only the teflon cones).

iHelix

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 03:57:07 AM »
Thanks Priam.  For sticks, if I want some sticks that will take a beating do you recommend the MB Alu or the Henrys Alu?

I would love carbon, but i think id break them really quickly and I dont have the money to replace them.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 06:29:31 AM »
it seems to me that the Babache Xtreme sticks are a lot stronger than the Henry's Alum sticks....that might be because my henry's sticks are older and thus have had more of a beating. but then again, there you go. my henry's sticks are something like 6 months old, they have had some crazy bends, but they always bend back. once you bend it, it will never be the same...eventually you'll get used to holding banana sticks ;)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 05:51:23 PM »
Quote from: Priam
Other kinds of diabolo are also used by other pro diabolists :
- Donald Grant (UK) and Jonas Zeller (CH) : Renegade
- Lena Köhn, Alexander Xelo and Tom Future (Thomas Furtner, all german) : ultra-light circus (not only the teflon cones).
I believe Donald Grant has changed from Renegades to Henrys (or is it MB) now for stage performances because of the breaking something...  But I'm sure he still likes the "oldies but goldies".  And Ultra-light Circuses eh?  What do those do...?  where else can you take weight from if not the hubs?  

Chiok
(Is Thomas Furtner, Markus Furtner's brother?)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 06:28:56 PM »
Donald's using Henrys these days - he changed because he started doing shows in a venue where he was VERY close to the audience.  Renegades are just too scary for that situation really!

Ultra light circuses have a narrower threaded axle (and a little plastic sleeve to make everything still fit), plastic hubs, plastic washers (the big ones you see inside the cup), smaller metal washers onto those, and of course, smaller nuts.  The guy from Akrobat (who make the ones I bought) told me they knock 50g off the weight of the diabolo.  I tried them, but found them too light, and felt that the diabolos had less momentum (note I say 'felt' there - I'm not sure if it was true).  

Yes, Thomas is Marcus' brother.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 11:35:56 PM »
wow, modded out Circus there. i had an idea for something like that a while back but i didnt know if someone had already done it. very interesting...

iHelix

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 11:41:10 PM »
I think I might try making my own alu sticks...seems like it might be fun to try.  I just need to figure out a way to protect the string from getting cut, and a good way to anchor it.

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 06:29:38 PM »
Yes, it's true.  I switched from Renegades to Henrys in 1999 cos I started working on a tiny stage surrounded by delicate things like glass, porcelain and faces.  Only had one day to change, which after 6 years of using renegades was a bit of a brain-strainer!

My onstage Henrys are completely ordinary, no mods or alternative axles; even worse my onstage sticks are the old side-drilled blue handled Babaches.  We had a bit of a "diabolists coffee time" at the Wintergarten the other week and Bruce Wilson, Jochen Schell and Lena were all shaking their heads at the tat I use on stage.  

Donald

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 05:25:50 PM »
Quote from: donald grant
We had a bit of a "diabolists coffee time" at the Wintergarten the other week and Bruce Wilson, Jochen Schell and Lena were all shaking their heads at the tat I use on stage.
Just snobs... nothing wrong going au natural.  Maybe bitter of your abilities...?  I'm bitter,

Chiok
(cause I'm short)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 07:28:45 PM »
i was wondering...what are the specific sticks that Vux uses in diabology? they look really interesting...the look like wooden sticks with a grip and a top piece for string. what are they...?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 10:44:34 PM »
Quote from: Matt_
...what are the specific sticks that Vux uses in diabology?...

They're not wood. I believe they're hollow tubes of some synthetic material. They look like glittery home made mini magic wands up close. :)

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 10:58:52 PM »
man those things are fascinating..i guess they are one of a kind then, eh? :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal