Author Topic: Keeping your gear in good condition/shape  (Read 4329 times)

blues-brothers2

Keeping your gear in good condition/shape
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »
Hey,
I couldn't find a thread on this topic, so I start one.

How do you keep your Diabolos in good shape ?
Do you clean them, if yes, what do you use ? (polish, oil maybe even wax)

I compared my 2 weeks old G2 with my brand new G2 and obviously there are big differences.

Is it possible to get the old Diabolo in near mint condition again ?

What argues me the most is that the old axle tends to wrap itself up around the string (because of some more friction caused from dirt and dust, I guess), while the new one just glides wrapped inside the string like butter.

I'd appreciate any suggestion on this,
Take Care,
Philipp
Doc Brown: If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anthing.

(Back to the future)

martijn

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 02:02:18 PM »
Well, cleaning diabolos is foten done with a scouring pad, some water, and a bit of green soap (that's how I do it). Some people also use chemicals instead of the soap (like aceton), but I prefer to use soap over chemicals. See the Cleaning diabolos thread for more info about that.

Commonly, diabolos live a long long time. Perhaps longer than we do :P. As long as you don't drop them a lot on concrete and so, they will stay very nice, undamaged and well-balanced.

I don't do anything in particular to keep them in good condition. They just stay very nice, whatever I do with them.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 03:18:42 PM »
my oldest diabolo is a Henry's Circus that is not even a year old, and i've had that thing on concrete millions of times, it even has a weird rip in it (see diabolo damages thread) but yet, it is still perfectly balanced and fine.

i dont think keeping your diabolo looking "new" should really be a priority, i mean, you take that thing outside right, and it's a dirty world out there...

my diabolos get pretty dirty, but i scrub them with a sponge and some bathtub cleaner. gets em nice and fresh :D

and if you want your G2s clean, just do whatever Martijn does, he got his white G2s really clean  :shock:

blues-brothers2

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 04:09:57 PM »
Yeah,
tried the "Martijn Method" and works great. Except that the fingers really do hurt.... I know I'm a weakling   :cry:

Now that the cups are clean again I noticed their color is pretty lustreless.
Is there a way to get 'em shiny ?
It looks to me a bit like a problem because of the material the G2s are made of.
Doc Brown: If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anthing.

(Back to the future)

Spooned

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 07:43:11 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to pressure wash their diabolos before? I dont know what would happen but it would get 'em clean real qucik if it worked.
Diabolo or Diablo

eggy900

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 11:58:02 AM »
don't pack finesses into tightly packed suitcases, mine have both warped  :x

korppu

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 12:50:10 PM »
oh?? my finesses have been quite warped but they`ve always recovered.

iHelix

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:22:22 PM »
I drop my circus down the stairs and onto a hard tile landing all the time, and it also smashes into the concrete of my driveway frequently.  Luckily, its suffered no major scratches/tears/warps.  I love how durable the circus is.  Sadly I dont own a G2 to compare with though.

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 11:17:57 PM »
All I can say is CLEAN YOUR DIABOLOS! If you do it regularly it takes hardly any time at all, and is no more difficult than washing, say, a mug. Every other time you wash the dishes in your house, put you diabolos in the sink after everything else and give them a quick scrub.

I mean, why not? Most people's diabolos are so disgusting I wouldn't want anybody I love go anywhere near them for fear of catching a terminal illness. Pure laziness!

And while you are at it, clean your juggling clubs and put your beanbags through a hot cycle.
Luke

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 02:10:39 PM »
Quote from: Luke Burrage
Most people's diabolos are so disgusting I wouldn't want anybody I love go anywhere near them for fear of catching a terminal illness. Pure laziness!

And while you are at it, clean your juggling clubs and put your beanbags through a hot cycle.
I'll agree that alot of diabolos are absolutely filthy and I know some of mine have rolled through the occasionaly muddy puddle.  What I don't get is when people hold diabolos in their mouths (!) to drop in or they can't hold it under their arms or duck style, do they clean it first before sticking it in their mouth?  It's worse than toast butter-side down, isn't it?

As for clubs, I try and keep mine as white as I can, which is hard with the black knobs and ends.  And I thought you should never get a beanbag wet?  I keep wondering what happens to one when it does.  Unless you have cheap toy beanbags that have a plastic pellet filling.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal