Author Topic: Phil Os - Diabolo  (Read 4334 times)

Shan

Phil Os - Diabolo
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »

Arjan

Re: Phil Os - Diabolo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »
Okay, I'm hesitating a lot if I should take the first post, but I'll do it.

First of all, I would like to know more about who we see here. His name is Phil Os or is this (again) some french grammar play?
And Shan, is this you or did you find this on youtube. Clearly it is promotional material, containing a full routine with some cuts.
Watching this video, at one point I was like; "Wait, is this a lefthanded version of Tony?" Is this that copy-tony-guy guys?
I have to also add there was so very kewl stuff with 1D genocides, that was smooth. Overall it all is fairly tricky obviously, most parts.

The only remaining thing I guess me saying I did not really enjoy that, but I can calm everyone down again*, because that is just me.

*except if there is more like me who also think this is whack, then we'll fight about it!

seán_

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »
Well I enjoyed that, and just because someone comes onto stage arrogantly with a sleeveless T shirt* it doesn't necessarily mean they want to be Tony F. Some moves fly close to the 'cheeky bastard, that's someones signature move' territory  but hey ho.

I liked the structure/concept of the performance, the pacing change, the interaction, the nerves to do that character. I'd book him, looks like he went down well.

*usually means they went to a Euro circus school :P

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
I saw this on youtube, pretty great performance. Though it does copy Tony a little.
fluffy kitty

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
This man is a rockstar and we must praise him like Jesus.
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Arjan

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »
*usually means they went to a Euro circus school :P
True.

jamzjazz

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
Sorry if that is you but im not a massive fan of the performance either. It just didnt inspire me.

Cand1ez

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
Arjan's just jealous coz diaboloing in a tank top is his thing.

Lucky its black and not white or we would have a full scale feud.
Dave: "Candles, you light up my life"
Funty: "I thought you'd be more Gangster"

Rapido

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
i think its JUST powerful. nothing more

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
Perhaps not the most fresh, but great anyway. I could see some nice stilish moves.
Rooted diabolist.

rochdalejak

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
This man is a rockstar and we must praise him like Jesus
no just no
he acts like it but hes just not a rock star
alright prefromance though

jk 8)
:) yep thats me

donald grant

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
Just noticed this thread, so thought I'd better throw in a few facts on top of all the speculation.

First of all, no he ain't French, his real name is Phil Behrens, and he is German.  He's based in Kassel, and works in many of the German variete theatres.  If you're reading this, you're on the internet, so why not pop along to www.phil-os.com and you can learn a bit more...

I jammed a bit with Phil this winter as we were both working for Variete Etcetera (him in Kiel, me in Bochum) and he's really rather good, and a nice chap too.

Which brings me to folks criticising a video of a live performance, which they've never seen, using the same criteria as they use for a diabolo-centric freestyle video:

1) it's live, for real people (even convention shows aren't really real shows, folks!)

2) Of the hundreds of pro jugglers I know, I cannot think of any who do their most difficult stuff on stage.

3)  Give me a camcorder and an afternoon, and I can convince you that I'm potentially a pro golfer :)

Much love, go see Phil if you get the chance, go see anything for real if you get the chance,

All the best

Donald

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »
1) it's live, for real people (even convention shows aren't really real shows, folks!)
you nailed it

2) Of the hundreds of pro jugglers I know, I cannot think of any who do their most difficult stuff on stage.
that

3)  Give me a camcorder and an afternoon, and I can convince you that I'm potentially a pro golfer :)
so true. That's why some friends still believe I'm good!

Mr. Grant, thank you really for the comment. It's a matter of experience and age, to finally understand that a real performer doesn't have to please the freaks but the real audience, which has an utter different criteria of what is cool (or boring), and therefore, what is worth a big applause.

Rooted diabolist.

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but i find it much harder to perform in conventions than for real people. Shows to normal people goes every time very well, which isnt the case when I try to do something in conventions/open stage or something like that..

Maybe I try to do harder stuff when there is other diabolists around, dont know..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal