Author Topic: Starting and correcting 2 diabolos  (Read 189391 times)

Chiok

• Donator
Re: Starting and correcting 2 diabolos
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2005, 09:17:32 PM »
Usually when tapping cups, you can use either the side of the handstick or the tip.  When I tap the far cup, I have to use the tip of the stick.  Just give it a quick poke as it goes round.  You have to be quick about the poke because a long drag will cause the string to rub against the cup and you'll get tiltage as well, which you don't want.

But yeah, just a quick controlled poke at the top or side with the end of your dominant handstick.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 09:40:52 PM »
The way I deal with far cup correction is to turn my right handstick so it faces my body, I find this keeps the string out of the way (actually leaves the string in line with the diabolos). This might be worth a try.  Everyone seems to come up with a way that works for them in the end, keep at it.

HTH

Seán

garfong

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2005, 02:17:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, I got my 2 finesses in last week and this topic has been extremely helpful.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2005, 09:55:04 PM »
I've just started to learn a 2D shuffle but at the moment only one of the diabolos shuffles and the other one stays on the string and doesn't move and then falls off the string as it has no speed. I'll try and post a video in a bit.  Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

Billabong.
Bill.

seán_

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2005, 11:28:40 PM »
A bit more information might help here Bill, how are you starting, which diabolo is not shuffling, have you practiced driving the diabolos?

But I think thats something a lot of people go through just some of the things you go through when first learning two. Keep trying it comes in the end, re read this thread and check out learning 2 diabolos, keeping the shuffle going (kind of the thread for when you have got the shuffle but it might have some tips that are of use).

A video would be great as it might be more obvious what exactly you are doing/not doing and it might proove usefull for others going through the same as you in the future.

Ed

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2005, 12:40:32 PM »
Thanks, with all this help i can successfully wrap start and shuffle and im still working on correcting and it only took me a day, and the video on corrections was a big help thank you.

Ed

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2005, 12:03:44 PM »
I think i can do a piroutte (sorry about spelling) i had trouble figiuering out exactly what i was doing and im still not sure,as you would see in the sprinklers suns topic.

diabololi

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2005, 09:53:48 AM »
Sorry to change the subject a bit, but it is still on-topic.

I've noticed the way I correct isn't shown on diabology, nor have I seen it done by anyone else before. I will try to explain it;

For turn corrections I tap the near cup on the top or the near cup on the bottom. I also use hover stalls because they turn the diabolo away from you.

For tilt corrections, I tap the near cup's right or left side.

I never touch the far cup at all.

I can correct perfectly with my method and I was just wondering if it would be helpful to elarn some others.

Thanks
Oli

seán_

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »
I think it is handy to be able to correct in several ways. There are no one way fits everybody solution to correcting but as long as you find a way that works for you thats what matters, then you can spend the time working on tricks.

Correcting by using the left side and bottom near cup are some of the rarer ones I think, thanks for bringing them up. I sometimes use the hovering methods to correct as well, both by using the turning action and by tapping. I'm not 100% happy with the tapping in a hover as it looks a bit awkward (when I do it) but it works so what the heck.

martijn

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »
Yeah, everybody has his own way of correcting diabolo's. If it works for you, that's great!

I for example only (can) correct them to the left, so I'm making 360's to the left with my body all the time when doing 2d :P

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2005, 01:59:07 PM »
Quote from: Martijn
I for example only (can) correct them to the left, so I'm making 360's to the left with my body all the time when doing 2d

Martijn! Do you think it might be time to finally learn to correct your diabolos to the right as well!? :P

Sheesh!  :roll:

martijn

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2005, 02:14:59 PM »
Well, I can do it a bit... But correcting to the left feels much better and is much safer for me :wink:

seán_

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2005, 02:21:01 PM »
Leave him alone Sean, he will have the perfect style for working in a big top type arena ;).

Before I got far cup corrections I was ok until I read on your site that you can get away with near cup correction as long as you dont mind going around in a circle. After that I couldn't help turning. :).

Martijn have you tried something radical like left stick corrections using the opposing tap principle?

martijn

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2005, 02:33:14 PM »
Quote from: seán_
Martin have you tried something radical like left stick corrections using the opposing tap principle?

That's a question to me? My name is Martijn, and  believe there is a Martin on this forum as well (how confusing :roll: )

Yes, in the beginning I tried almost everything to correct my diabs. I can't correct with the left stick, (tried that, but it didn't work). If I touch the far cup, 50% of the time, the diab falls out of my string, so I prefer to only touch the near cup. Let's hope the audience doesn't notice I'm going in a circle. :wink: Hmm, maybe I just have plan one drop in my routine, so I can turn to the right with 1d and start 2d again :P It doesn't look nice if you're doing the Fan with your back facing the audience.

I don't have to use the far cup method very often. Most of the time I have to correct the diabs towards my body (tilt correction) and when I do that the diabolo goes to the left as well, because I touch the bottom of the near cup with my right stick.

seán_

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2005, 03:09:14 PM »
Sorry 'Tijn, I have a Mancunian accent so I tend to drop the second to last letter of most words, I call Martin 'Martn' :)

I think I mentioned it before but what got me over dropping when doing far cup corrections was to turn the tip of the handstick towards my body, thus keeping the string inline. If that does not help yopu maybe it can help someone else with simmilar problems.

I like hittting the bottom of the near cup, especially when you get the diabolo to stall on the handstick for a little time

martijn

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2005, 03:13:38 PM »
Quote from: seán_
I think I mentioned it before but what got me over dropping when doing far cup corrections was to turn the tip of the handstick towards my body, thus keeping the string inline. If that does not help yopu maybe it can help someone else with simmilar problems.

Yeah, that's a nice tip. However, I just found out that if I want to correct to the right I do it while accelerating. In the wrap I touch the far cup on the left and the near cup on the right with my right stick. It turns to the right and tilts towards my body if I do that.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2005, 04:46:52 PM »
It's quite possible to correct all directions of tilt and orientation using the wrap acceleration tapping method. In fact I probably do about 95% of my corrections that way.

It's a fun exercise to see how quickly you can turn both diabolos 360 degrees in both directions. I'm talking about turning each diabolo bit by bit and turning your body to face them until you've turned your body and diabolos 360 degrees. One way is probably much easier than the other. I haven't played with that for a while. Maybe a diabolo video contest some day? :P

Another fun exercise is to acceleration wrap correct one diabolo until it has turned 180 degrees and then tap it back.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2005, 11:15:09 PM »
Here is my 2 diabolo "shuffle" watching it on video I can see the motion is very jerky and mostly wrist so I'm going to try and change that.  So the reason I posted it is so that you guys can tell me what else I'm doing wrong.  Is the "shuffle" really upright because of my small jerky motion?  I know the file size is rather big but my camera is the only way to get videos onto the computer.

Bill.
Bill.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2005, 06:37:33 PM »
Bill, it looks to me like your shuffle is small and upright because the timing of your right hand is a bit off. You aren't lowering your hand with each diabolo... you're a bit behind or early (depending which way you want to look at it).

You might find it easiest to add some left hand motion at first too. Nothing wrong with using your left hand a bit.

Have a close look at some 2 diabolo shuffle videos out there and try out some different motions and timing.

I'm sure it will be smooth and easy in not too long.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2005, 07:47:26 PM »
Are there any videos of someone just running a 2 diabolo shuffle for a while as all videos I watch they start to do accelerations, corrections and then tricks but all I want to see is the basic motion.
Bill.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal