Author Topic: Starting and correcting 2 diabolos  (Read 186544 times)

barnesy

• Administrator
Re: Starting and correcting 2 diabolos
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2005, 08:09:15 PM »
That's not a bad point actually.  I'll have a go at recording something in a bit.  Will be tricky to not correct or do tricks though!

edit - I've tried it, and it's jsut too dark.  Can have a better go over the weekend, but for something like this it's probably best if you don't have to guess where I am!

Paul

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »
I recently tought a mate how to do a 2 diabolo shuffle. I said to him just raise and lower both hands at the same time to make a really exaggerated synch pattern. This motion tends to fire the diabolos into a more horizontal shape. Why not give this a try and see if it helps out? from there you could alter it a bit until you find the feel that suits you. Apart from that youve almost got it. You just need to lower your sticks to the same height. youre left hand is really high.
Peace

viiru

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2005, 08:45:40 PM »
I prefer keeping left hand almost still and right hand pushes aggressively, but not with exaggerated move, downwards. you'll get lots of more spin and control that way.
It's just a world spinning around your diabolo

Ed

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »
I use mainly my left hand to carry on the shuffle but occasionally both at the sametime, i find only trying to use my right hand results in the diabolos slowly landing on top of each other, im not even sure if i should try to learn to use my right because i seem to be coping fine with my left and i can still speed them up.
I was wondering wheather i should consider learning with my right? Will it help me with tricks?

edit- and will it speed the diabolos up more?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2005, 07:04:06 PM »
Quote from: Ed
...and will it speed the diabolos up more?

yes

seán_

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2005, 07:36:48 PM »
Llama_Bill, just to satisfy my interest pull some string out of the end of your handles and tie a temporary knot so you have a shorter string. I seem to recall that helped me when I was trying to get to grips with the shuffle as the whole thing felt more solid but I might be just a freak :)

Ed getting the right hand in action is a good thing, some people use only the left (rare), a lot use just the right or the right with a bit of left. Tahia teaches people 2 using the Left hand as he believes it is an easy concept to grasp from 1d. I can kind of see his reasoning but I still see right hand as the way to go. whichever method, being able to do left, combination and right gives you more options in the long run.

lemony

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »
it looks to me like you're doing something which until recently i was absolutely guilty of and i remember seán_ said he sometimes had difficulty with when he tries 3D stuff...

I find that there's a really stong urge when you#'re concentrating really hard on getting something like a shuffle going to lift your arms up so that the diabolos are closer to your eye line. I found it particularly true with my left handstick. try and keep the shuffle low and push the diabolo around the string rather than trying to flick them back and forth (which is much much harder with the diabolos up high). Aside from a helping hand from seán_ and matt in leeds, i found looking at really smooth actions like Ryo's helpful. try to make as smooth a circle as you can, it really helped me.

edit: god, hangovers do nothing for my english skills...
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2005, 11:20:10 AM »
Quote from: Ed
i find only trying to use my right hand results in the diabolos slowly landing on top of each other

You are probably holding your sticks too far apart, try shuffling with the stick tips almost together.

Ed

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2005, 05:24:53 PM »
Wow i had never thought of doing that dave thanks for the advice, i'll try it out and see if it helps.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2005, 07:07:41 PM »
here you go, Bill: http://dreamhost.barnesy.org/just2.mpg (4.4mb)

That's a video of two diabolos for as long as I could manage before trying to correct a lot or do tricks.  I'm surprised to see how much my left hand moves.  Thats not a conscious thing - all I think about is moving my right hand and keeping the left hand still.  I think that movement may just happen because of the movement of the string.  I'm not moving the left hand - I'm letting it move.  If that makes any sense at all.  THe right hand action is the one to get.

I hope it works OK - it's the first .MPG I've produced on my mac mini.

Ed

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2005, 07:45:19 PM »
Thanks Dave P that really helped i use my right hand alot more now and i can tell how it speeds it up. Cheers :wink:

Llama_Bill

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2005, 09:58:24 PM »
Quote from: barnesy
here you go, Bill: http://dreamhost.barnesy.org/just2.mpg (4.4mb)

Thanks for that it's a huge help.
Bill.

Hoop

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2005, 02:18:59 PM »
Hi, would someone please either describe or tell me where to find a description of a wrap start?  I saw a video of it (I think) on this thread, but it looks like the guy is maybe left-handed?  I can't quite make out what is going on there.  I have been getting one diabolo spinning fast then wrapping the right stick counter-clockwise once around the second diabolo and trying to get it spinning.  It hasn't worked at all, so I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Thanks for any help!

seán_

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2005, 04:06:58 PM »
Hi Hoop. I had a bit of a search for you but it was dragging so I thought I would just put my thoughts down.

Get one diabolo spinning well, transfer sticks into left hand.
Take the second diabolo in the palm of your hand (diabolo on top)
reach in front of the right hand string and bring the right hand side of the axle in contact with the left hand side of the right string.(the string goes past the pinky side of your hand).
Lift the diabolo over the stick so that you have put a backwrap on.*
Turn the diabolo slightly anticlockwise as seen from the top to counteract the turning motion.
Stroke up to get the diabolo spinning (doesn't have to be really fast) and grab the right handstick**
unwrap (this feels simmilar to exiting a RH stopover with a bit of force, or actually more corectly exiting a RH backwrap say after 1d speedups)

I find it helps if you have the wrapped diabolo close to the handstick (but not in its way) and dont let it drop too far down the string. When you grab the handstick dont keep the handsticks close together, I believe doing so causes the diabolo to slip down.
Its a great way to start multiple diaboilos, It's easier to learn on worn in string.

*This is the method I show people as quite a few seem to use it, I use a slightly different method where I hold the near cup 'radio dial' style and twist it in to the string. I learnt how from watching clips but you can practice putting in this wrap ans see which you prefer.
** at this point you can go into hovers (most likely when you get the hang of wrap starts.

HTH. tell me if I have just confused the issue more.

Seán
Wrap starts could definately do with a video tutorial if anybody has the inclination/camera

lemony

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2005, 04:44:45 PM »
great description seán_ Barnesy's site has a clip of the start performed "radio" style http://2diabolo.net/?page=27 and the principle is the same

i'm sure sopmeone has a clip of the other technique

Hoop

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »
Thanks Sean with the line over your name.   :lol:     The only area I didn't understand was the very beginning.  Am I reaching out around the right string and then pointing my fingers back at myself?  If not, I can't seem to work out how the right side of the axle touches the left side of the right string and the pinky finger of my palm up right hand is nearest the string>??     If it is, then I guess that makes sense, since my arm can't pass through the stick.  :)   I hope I haven't made more confusion.  I really want to learn 2d!!!  Thanks

lemony

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »
it sounds like you have the right idea... if it helps, here's a clip of me doing it...

my technique there is awful (it's not usually that bad) but you can at least see how the wrap works

oh and after you warap it i don't think most people don't bother doing those snaps but it's just the way that feels most natural to me

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2005, 10:44:20 PM »
I wrote a similar thing to Séan earlier, but then had to leave uni so forgot about it, but it's the same idea with a few differences in my technique.
I make the first diabolo tilt slightly forwards because when I hover, it tends to make it tilt.  And spin the second diabolo before you let go, that helps no end in giving you enough time to get the handstick back and keep it stable doing so.
And I put the second one in radio dial style too by holding the near cup and twisting it around the string.  When you practise it more, you'll know how much to tilt each diabolo so you get the most speed you can because the wrap loses its grip when it gets fast.
Also when you practise, if you haven't tilted the second one enough, you can tap the top of the near cup to tilt it back to centre.

It's how I always start to get speed quick as I can't do chinese whips or wrap every pass.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Hoop

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2005, 02:54:57 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, the spin before letting go tip helps! :)   I kept trying and the diabolos kept crashing, not shuffling.  :(   I almost got it last night.  Once the second diabolo is coming down, do I have to toss the first one up to make room, or does the unwrapping of the second one automatically do this?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2005, 03:03:44 PM »
The unwrapping will do this. In fact, if anything you will have to dampen the jumping of the bottom diabolo with your other hand... especially eventually when you do continuous backwraps.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal